Advertisement

Avengers #31 (Spoilers to come): Oh, hell

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Avengers #31 (Spoilers to come): Oh, hell

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:49 pm

Again, spoilers to come -- be warned!

I'm hoping those who read today's issue might pop in, let us know what you think the end game is with this -- I have to admit, I didn't see today's reveals coming, and wow...I don't know what the hell to think now.

So, to begin:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
The Ultron Takeover just...wow. That just caught me totally off-guard -- I didn't even see that coming. I don't even know where to go with that -- I knew Hickman had one more curveball to throw in Avengers itself. He's done it plenty in New Avengers, but now with the Avengers, he's saying that great, the 616 Earth isn't destroyed...but humanity's basically decimated and the Avengers are pretty much all robots. Well, if that isn't just a kick in the ass...

Why this matters is that we have been given snippets of what will likely be happening in the Avengers: Tony Stark is going down and will be imprisoned. Captain America's likely going to be some type of unwilling suicide bomber who is going to wipe out something or someone who is pivotal in Earth's history, and Thor is going to be broken at some point in the future. And somehow, Black Widow's paranoia might prove to be the key to saving us all.

It's all time travel, so yes, I realize the Avengers will "win." But you can see now that what has happened in Avengers and New Avengers is going to be a game-changer, even if it doesn't reset the 616.

The Illuminati...they're just screwed, because the Avengers know what they did -- even though you can argue persuasively that they were simply trying to ensure the survival of the world, it still isn't that simple. It just isn't, and the Illuminati, as shown throughout New Avengers' glimpses at other worlds, are likely going to wind up as pariahs, just as the ones on the other worlds did...if they even survive. Because at some point, clearly Thanos and the Black Order are busting out, and SOMEBODY'S not walking away from that shit.

Hickman's still going to have some type of showdown between the Black Panther and Namor. Don't know how it's going down, or the outcome, but you know it will happen, since he brought it back up.

Tony Stark...I just think we are in our last days of Tony Stark as Iron Man, for whatever reason. I don't know if that means death or something else, but for whatever reason, I just don't see him continuing in the role, or being allowed to continue in the role. That line from Avengers #24, where the one character mentions that he has seen many Iron Men die...I just have a feeling Marvel's doing something that will take Stark off the board, much like Wolverine is being taken off the board this fall, at least for a while. Not saying forever, but for a while, until the next movies or something.

Just a weird issue today...just some crazy stuff that I did not see coming, and it makes you realize that Hickman's long game has always been about something he has mentioned a few times during his run: The pinnacle of the Avengers has already taken place, and they are on their way down down down.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Avengers #31 (Spoilers to come): Oh, hell

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:16 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
If Stark did die in the comics (at least for a while) I would kind of wonder if they might be planning to kill the Movieverse Stark off in Avengers: Age of Ultron as well.

It would make sense on one level if Robert Downey Jr. doesn't want play Iron Man in future films (or at least for a while). You kill him off in AAOU, and in the comics around the same time, introduce a new person in the IM suit, then do the same in the next IM or Avengers movie.

And if RDJ does come back in the future (or they decide to recast Stark)... surprise! T.A.H.I.T.I., Cryogenic regenerative chamber or some other explanation! And do something similar in the comics to bring him back.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:01 pm

I do think it's going to be something like that, linked to the movies.

I'm not even sure what to think about "Time Runs Out." Hickman's given a clue here or there, but he hasn't cracked in tipping his hand at how the Avengers get out of this mess.

It's just...this has fascinated me because the rabbit hole is so deep, with so many moral questions and physical threats.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:28 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:I do think it's going to be something like that, linked to the movies.

I'm not even sure what to think about "Time Runs Out." Hickman's given a clue here or there, but he hasn't cracked in tipping his hand at how the Avengers get out of this mess.

It's just...this has fascinated me because the rabbit hole is so deep, with so many moral questions and physical threats.

I'm interested to see if Earth-1610 ends up being the one that shows up when Time Runs Out.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Rob Thompson
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 857 posts
Title: Soldier. Teacher.

Postby Rob Thompson » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:50 am

First time I have been interested in what is happening in the Avengers comics in quite a while. Looking forward to seeing how this tale unfolds.
Observe. Orient. Decide. Act.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 201 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Anyone have any predictions on whom the Future Man is?

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand