Advertisement

Does anyone read "Evil Empire"? Is it... pandering... like

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 292 posts

Does anyone read "Evil Empire"? Is it... pandering... like

Postby TimH » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:24 pm

My comic shop bags indies with Mature ratings, so I tried Evil Empire #1 & #2 sight-unseen today as part of my effort to salvage the carnage Marvel and DC have taken on my pull list.

Does anyone read "Evil Empire"?

Is... is [Evil Empire] pandering... like an over-eager nerd who takes his PETA-obsessed date to the Horse Races? ("But I thought you enjoyed being around animals.")

Issue one was going somewhere--even with the funky ending. But issue two... I felt it was pandering to me... but badly... you know, it likely assumed I was a liberal (how many conservative nationalists read comics titled "Evil Empire" with an undead Uncle Sam on the variant cover?)

But...
Uh...
Independent and cynical protagonist "Reese"--wooed by a flawlessly charming Democratic candidate for the presidency...

You know... I was waiting for the punchline... to learn this guy's wicked interior... or something... but, no, he really is Alan Alda and Brad Pitt rolled into one... and the Republic candidate takes the opposite, equally pandering evolution, a decent but boring guy... who fulfills all of our Tea Party Wet Dreams by demonstrating himself to be an unmitigated psychotic (and sociopath) rolled into one.

Now... here's what I mean when I call it pandering... like taking the PETA babe to the horse races...

WE FAR LEFT WINGERS AREN'T EXACTLY IN LOVE WITH THE DEMOCRAT PARTY. EVER HEAR OF KSHAMA SAWANT? EVER SEE THE DEBATE WHERE SHE TORE UP HER DEMOCRATIC RIVAL WHO TUT-TUTTED HER IDEAS AND PRAISED THE STATUS QUO?

No, my friend. A flawlessly charming democratic presidential candidate is probably more off-putting to me than an irrepressibly psychotic republican candidate.

C'mon, he who writes "Evil Empire", catch up with the times. I still like Obama, but he brought an end to any illusion that I never had about the Democrats being "the good guys" and that we Americans are locked in a Zoroastrian Duality of Light versus Darkness.

Give me back my $7.98! Panderer! No! Just because I like animals doesn't mean I watch horse racing! And you sold out an interesting character to an absolutely unconvincing stand-in for your continued faith that the Democrats will save us.

My god, your entire premise of America's "fall into an Evil Empire" because a screwed up politician murders his wife then gives the cameras the middle finger and sparks his Tea Party buddies to revolt--it's even insulting to the Tea Party!

My god this whacked out comic is so whacked that it has led me to feel defensive for the TEA PARTY because I know they aren't THAT emotionally unstable!

I'm going to assume that the story runs deeper than this--that Mr. Democrat isn't really the absolutely most perfect specimen of humanity, and that America's fall--far from being about financial power slowly asserting its interests everywhere, or about a Tea Party maniac managing to pull a Huey Long (look him up on Wikipedia) and slowly pushing our rights out the door with his bullying supporters.

No. Blech. Simple and silly. Give me back my $7.98.

Advertisement

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 365 posts

Re: Does anyone read "Evil Empire"? Is it... pandering... l

Postby avengingtitan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:34 pm

I liked the first 2 issues. I didnt think it was pandering at all. :smt102
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand