Advertisement

Superman #32....sigh

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Superman #32....sigh

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:42 pm

Why did I bother? I mean...It's just more garbage on top of garbage on top of garbage. There is nothing about this story that makes me want to keep reading it.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
We have another superman analogy type character....joy.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

OneWhoIsAll
cheese

Liked in: 454 posts
Title: SilentKnight
Formerly: KnightofOwls

Re: Superman #32....sigh

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Superman #32 seems to be a mixbag from the people I talk to from my comic book store. It seems that the only reason why its good is because Johns name alone.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 345 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:16 am

I've heard mixed things about it too. Some people love Johns.

I do not understand why. My experience with him, mainly on JL I admit, has been that he is a good scripter (he writes decent dialogue), but his action scenes leave a lot to be desired and most particularly, although he seems able to plot decent story arcs, he has a real weakness with climaxes. He gets his story going and it's pretty good and then it ends with a whimper instead of a bang. Usually the problem appears to be that he leaves too much to do in the final issue and then it ends up getting rushed.

Given that I don't really enjoy stories with weak endings, and have never, ever, liked Romita's art style (and don't understand how anyone can love it enough to pick up a book just based on his art, although many do), this is not a book I would get started on at this point.

Some day if I hear it is still good long from now (years), or was an epic run equivalent to the Perez WW or Simonson Thor or something, I might pick up the digital back-issues. But at full price or on paper? No.

4 people like this post.

Rob Thompson
cheese

Liked in: 656 posts
Title: Soldier. Teacher.

Postby Rob Thompson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:23 am

Okay, not a bad start (I thought) but I was left wondering did Johns just flat out not read Superman Unchained? And all the DC editors developed amnesia and forgot how recently this sort of plot was used?
"Observe. Orient. Decide. Act."

HNutz likes this post.

OneWhoIsAll
cheese

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:37 am

Rob Thompson wrote:Okay, not a bad start (I thought) but I was left wondering did Johns just flat out not read Superman Unchained? And all the DC editors developed amnesia and forgot how recently this sort of plot was used?

They must of devloped amnesia during Unchained because they "forgot"(Delayed) to continue on with the story.

Yeah some of the people I talk to complain this as well, any plot that was in #32 was simliar to Unchained. Did no one pointed this out to Johns? I'm fine if they use simliar plots from the past but during the same time as another story going on with Unchained?

Speaking of which...what was the main reason why Unchained been delayed a couple of times.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 345 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:00 am

I'm sure they are aware of the other story. Remember, the other story sold pretty well. So to DC, that means to just do it again and it will sell well the 2nd time. And the 3rd.

Originality? What's that?

Rob Thompson
cheese

Postby Rob Thompson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:32 am

Chessack wrote:I'm sure they are aware of the other story. Remember, the other story sold pretty well. So to DC, that means to just do it again and it will sell well the 2nd time. And the 3rd.

Originality? What's that?

Well, as Harry Truman once noted, the only thing new in the world is history you don't know. That said, this does seem to be really, really close together.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:59 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Why did I bother? I mean...It's just more garbage on top of garbage on top of garbage. There is nothing about this story that makes me want to keep reading it.

At least this story
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
with a Superman analogy type character
will ship on time :P

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 224 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:13 am

OneWhoIsAll wrote:
They must of devloped amnesia during Unchained because they "forgot"(Delayed) to continue on with the story.

Yeah some of the people I talk to complain this as well, any plot that was in #32 was simliar to Unchained. Did no one pointed this out to Johns? I'm fine if they use simliar plots from the past but during the same time as another story going on with Unchained?

Speaking of which...what was the main reason why Unchained been delayed a couple of times.

Lee.

2 people like this post.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:17 am

Rob Thompson wrote:Okay, not a bad start (I thought) but I was left wondering did Johns just flat out not read Superman Unchained? And all the DC editors developed amnesia and forgot how recently this sort of plot was used?

Exactly.

I just sighed and kept reading.

DC really has no idea what it's doing anymore.

I was so underwhelmed after reading this book. Like Unchained, they both bore me to tears and it's sad since I SO wanted to like both of them.

I want to read a good, current Superman story.

That's apparently something DC cannot do anymore. :|

2 people like this post.

OneWhoIsAll
cheese

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:20 am

GOSD wrote:
Lee.

Argh....Wonder how heavy his workload is like if he had to delay his project...

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:25 am

OneWhoIsAll wrote:

It was only a matter of time.

Rob Thompson
cheese

Postby Rob Thompson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:28 am

OneWhoIsAll wrote:

Well, he did have to recover from drawing that promotional poster.

One of the differences between many of today's comic book creators and the ones of the golden, silver and bronze ages; the newer group seems to have much more trouble meeting deadlines, even though their working conditions and compensation are vastly improved.

HNutz likes this post.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:38 am

Nah, I think Lee is of a special generation that's never given a fuck, because they believe their pretty art excuses all sins. Basically starting with the Image founders and continuing around the J. Scott Campbell group. They just kind of phone it in these days, since they know their names guarantee work

Most of the current generation know better. There are a lot of people who would/could easily take their place.

2 people like this post.

Rob Thompson
cheese

Postby Rob Thompson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 am

superfictious wrote:Nah, I think Lee is of a special generation that's never given a fuck, because they believe their pretty art excuses all sins. Basically starting with the Image founders and continuing around the J. Scott Campbell group. They just kind of phone it in these days, since they know their names guarantee work

Most of the current generation know better. There are a lot of people who would/could easily take their place.

Some of the current generation seem to know better, I agree. Do not know as I would go so far as to say "most".

superfictious likes this post.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand