Advertisement

Spider-Man 2099 #1 *spoilers*

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 182 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Spider-Man 2099 #1 *spoilers*

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:32 am

Did anyone else pick this up?

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Re: Spider-Man 2099 #1 *spoilers*

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:36 am

I enjoyed this. David hits a lot tropes, but O'Hara stuck in the present is a lot of fun. I also like Sliney's art. He has a couple of weird perspective shots and I don't think modern coloring is a good match for his style.

I especially like how the TOTEM AGENT was dealt with.

I also think this will play a big role in how tthe Spidey crossover is set up.

TheLurker
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 206 posts
Title: Hefner

Postby TheLurker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:42 pm

thefourthman wrote:Did anyone else pick this up?

Yeah, I picked it up. 22 years ago!!

4 people like this post.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 379 posts

Postby GHERU » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:28 pm

good first issue
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Schlemmer
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Hot-Linker
Formerly: Schlemmer; spelled the same but sounds different

Postby Schlemmer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:52 pm

I never read the end of the Exiles line; does this first issue mention anything about Miggy's Exile exploits?

TheLurker
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 206 posts
Title: Hefner

Postby TheLurker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Schlemmer wrote:I never read the end of the Exiles line; does this first issue mention anything about Miggy's Exile exploits?

After seeing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, when I see Schlemmer post words I feel like one of the humans when they see Caesar and the other apes speak. Just awe!

I never read Exiles.

2 people like this post.

Schlemmer
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Hot-Linker
Formerly: Schlemmer; spelled the same but sounds different

Postby Schlemmer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:42 pm

TheLurker wrote:

After seeing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, when I see Schlemmer post words I feel like one of the humans when they see Caesar and the other apes speak. Just awe!

I never read Exiles.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:11 pm

I actually really enjoyed the first issue of this new series and found that the worst part of the entire book was the cover by Simone Bianchi.

It's cool that Miguel is going to be able to continue using Lyla even though he is stranded in the past. It's nice that he has something familiar to fall back on while he is completely cut off from his normal supporting cast. As far as his new supporting cast is concerned, I am really intrigued by this Agent of T.O.T.E.M. character and I hope/know that we haven't seen the last of him. The fact that he weighs an individual's importance to history is a cool wrinkle, especially with all the other time travel related plot threads dangling across the Marvel Universe.

Liz Allan's continued involvement is also interesting, particularly now that we know something that happens between her and Miguel is going to be significant to history, but I really hope that Miguel is able to find some way out of Liz discovering his identity. I understand that we live in an age where somebody is theoretically always "watching" but I don't like the idea that anybody would be able to discover somebody's secret identity so easily.

Schlemmer wrote:I never read the end of the Exiles line; does this first issue mention anything about Miggy's Exile exploits?

I couldn't give you specific issues to reference (it may have been referenced in one of the Official Handbooks) but at some point in time it was explained that the Miguel O'Hara from Exiles, while classified Spider-Man 2099, wasn't the actual Spider-Man 2099 from the previous series. Just another alternate universe version.
ImageImageImage

Schlemmer likes this post.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:33 pm

There was no reference that I saw to Exiles, but then I didn't read the end of that book, it lost me long before it ended.

Schlemmer likes this post.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 pm

Grayson wrote:I couldn't give you specific issues to reference (it may have been referenced in one of the Official Handbooks) but at some point in time it was explained that the Miguel O'Hara from Exiles, while classified Spider-Man 2099, wasn't the actual Spider-Man 2099 from the previous series. Just another alternate universe version.

That's actually what I always assumed was the case. It always seemed to be the case that the Exlies traveled sideways in time between parallel timelines and not forward and backward in time. Given that I just figured that the Miguel O'Hara from Exiles wasn't the same Spider-Man from the old 2099 alternate future.

Thank you Troy for the sig

HNutz likes this post.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:26 pm

thefourthman wrote:I especially like how the TOTEM AGENT was dealt with.

He was great.

I loved just how polite he was as he went about trying to kill Miguel.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:30 pm

Stephen Day wrote:That's actually what I always assumed was the case. It always seemed to be the case that the Exlies traveled sideways in time between parallel timelines and not forward and backward in time. Given that I just figured that the Miguel O'Hara from Exiles wasn't the same Spider-Man from the old 2099 alternate future.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that the Exiles Miguel O'Hara never even made it back to his own reality. He didn't die but he fell in love with a woman on another Earth (possibly Gwen Stacy?) and decided to stay behind with her.
ImageImageImage

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 718 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Grayson wrote:I actually really enjoyed the first issue of this new series and found that the worst part of the entire book was the cover by Simone Bianchi.

It's cool that Miguel is going to be able to continue using Lyla even though he is stranded in the past. It's nice that he has something familiar to fall back on while he is completely cut off from his normal supporting cast. As far as his new supporting cast is concerned, I am really intrigued by this Agent of T.O.T.E.M. character and I hope/know that we haven't seen the last of him. The fact that he weighs an individual's importance to history is a cool wrinkle, especially with all the other time travel related plot threads dangling across the Marvel Universe.

Liz Allan's continued involvement is also interesting, particularly now that we know something that happens between her and Miguel is going to be significant to history, but I really hope that Miguel is able to find some way out of Liz discovering his identity. I understand that we live in an age where somebody is theoretically always "watching" but I don't like the idea that anybody would be able to discover somebody's secret identity so easily.

I couldn't give you specific issues to reference (it may have been referenced in one of the Official Handbooks) but at some point in time it was explained that the Miguel O'Hara from Exiles, while classified Spider-Man 2099, wasn't the actual Spider-Man 2099 from the previous series. Just another alternate universe version.

Yeah, I'd rather believe than an alternate Miggy fell in love with an alternate Gwen Stacy and left the team off panel as opposed to "our" Spidey. 8)

Grayson likes this post.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:37 pm

Grayson wrote:I actually really enjoyed the first issue of this new series and found that the worst part of the entire book was the cover by Simone Bianchi.

Did they actually downplay Liz's new turn as a female goblin groupie for her father in law who she historically has despised until Slott's run out of curiousity? I never did like how she went from being one of Peter's old friends to this corporate tool-plus her role and motivation in Goblin Nation was just dumb. I haven't picked up this issue yet but had to ask.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand