Advertisement

The Wake #10 (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

The Wake #10 (Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Well, this last issue got a lot more philosophical than I thought it would be. Now don't get me wrong, I don't consider that a bad thing and I did enjoy this issue. It's just that the overall tone of this issue was different than the rest of the series and that made the revelations that came this issue seem to come a little out of left field. That's all in a good way though, because this issue was fairly well written and enjoyable.

So, the human race of the Earth of this series is an alien race that colonized the planet millenia ago and the Mers are a native race that have been fighting them ever since. I wasn't expecting that, not was I expecting Lee Archer to still be alive and to leave the planet aboard the ship that originally took Humanity to Earth.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Re: The Wake #10 (Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm the only one who read this?

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Stephen Day wrote:I'm the only one who read this?

Perhaps. I can't trust Vertigo because they cancelled Fables after only 150 issues.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:26 pm

Sorry, didn't realize this came out since I saw the thread yesterday, I finished the issue just now...and well....what the fuck was that? How do you take such a good series and then just shit the bed in it? Seriously philosophical doesn't cover it as much as total fucking gibberish does. So yeah, this issue ruined the entire fucking series.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:48 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Sorry, didn't realize this came out since I saw the thread yesterday, I finished the issue just now...and well....what the fuck was that? How do you take such a good series and then just shit the bed in it? Seriously philosophical doesn't cover it as much as total fucking gibberish does. So yeah, this issue ruined the entire fucking series.

I've reread this a couple of times now, and well, I have to agree with you now. I enjoyed it the first time, but with multiple readings, I'm getting more and more of a WTF feeling about this last issue.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I've reread this a couple of times now, and well, I have to agree with you now. I enjoyed it the first time, but with multiple readings, I'm getting more and more of a WTF feeling about this last issue.

I know last issues are rarely satisfying but, this has to be up there as one of the absolute worst. There were so many other directions to take a good fantasy horror series but, evolution bizarre queen robot wind surfer jesus is not one of them.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 34 posts

Postby AngusH » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:51 pm

Still waiting on that first satisfying conclusion to a Snyder story. Story-wise the 2nd half of this was much, much weaker than the first half IMO - I'd have preferred 10 issues of Alien-esque horror in the undersea base with flashbacks of the ancient stuff, and could have done without the Waterworld chapter. Having said that, SMG was fucking fantastic, Hollingsworth too. The art alone made this a worthwhile read, I just wish the 2nd half of the story had been at the same level.

guitarsmashley likes this post.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Yes the art was fantastic except the old lady in this issue...was she a fish monster too? Severed was a pretty great story and American Vampire is still sensational.

- Les Paul

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 34 posts

Postby AngusH » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Haven't read Severed or American Vampire (Long Road aside). I keep meaning to buy the American Vampire trades, but each year-long Batman arc pushes those books back down the queue.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:01 pm

AngusH wrote:Haven't read Severed or American Vampire (Long Road aside). I keep meaning to buy the American Vampire trades, but each year-long Batman arc pushes those books back down the queue.

The batman books are still ok...hopefully they don't all end in a terrible fugue state stream of consciousness that is just awful.

- Les Paul

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:05 pm

The one thing I'll give this last issue was at least it wasn't predictable. It was almost refreshing that way.

That being said, I enjoyed the bulk of what I read of this series.

Hab

guitarsmashley likes this post.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:22 pm

I'm waiting for the punk rock response of people loving it and not liking it just means you didn't get it...where's punchy?

- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 73 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:16 pm

I just didn't connect with the second half at all. It was a top of the pile book and then it went on break and new cast and fucking fishbone speak and it was never as good as that first half. I'm not even sure what the hell was going on in that last issue. I feel like I should give the whole thing a reread, but I'm not sure I care enough.

It's like they didn't put as much thought into the second half, the first five had the cool single cover thing and the last five don't even seem to have a theme or anything in common.

Very disappointing.

2 people like this post.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:00 pm

thefourthman wrote:I just didn't connect with the second half at all. It was a top of the pile book and then it went on break and new cast and fucking fishbone speak and it was never as good as that first half. I'm not even sure what the hell was going on in that last issue. I feel like I should give the whole thing a reread, but I'm not sure I care enough.

It's like they didn't put as much thought into the second half, the first five had the cool single cover thing and the last five don't even seem to have a theme or anything in common.

Very disappointing.

When I saw you posted in here I got scared for a second and thought you were gonna be gushing all over the thing because well....I never know what direction you're going to go in.

- Les Paul

thefourthman likes this post.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 73 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:12 pm

Life's too short to be predictable.

leave a comment with facebook

Next