Advertisement

Worlds' Finest #26 - SPOILERS

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Worlds' Finest #26 - SPOILERS

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Power Girl and Huntress return to the ruins of Earth 2, but they question whether their trip was worth the effort as they discover the state of their former home and friends.

So Levitz does another 180. After several fluff issues that were treading water he finally gives us an issue that is a decent read and devoid of his trademark corny lines. As we suspected I think the previous fluff issues were just him having to wait for the right time to interject this title into the "Earth 2" and "Futures End"/"Worlds End" time-lines.
Powergirl and Huntress make it back to Earth 2 near the site of the massive boom-tube (see Earth 2 #26) and are immediately attacked by parademons, which delays them for most of this issue from meeting up with the Earth 2 team.
Desaad also made it through, trailing behind them, and then booms himself to the CERN reactor that is powering the massive boom-tube.
Back on the main Earth, the cleanup of the Starr Labs accident begins. It turns out that Tanya Spears (who has been oddly spotllghted in the last few issue) now has powers like Powergirl. She also now looks like the mysterious new Powergirl on next month's "Futures End" cover. There was speculation that the woman on the cover was the 4th Kryptonian teased in Earth 2 but since she's on the main Earth obviously there is more to this.

So it looks like there was some coordination between these title and I'm wondering if Tanya isn't somehow connected to the strange belted material that Kara and Helena found that originally came through from Earth 2 with them.

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 110 posts

Re: Worlds' Finest #26 - SPOILERS

Postby misac » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Are they staying on Earth 2?

I like Earth 2 so much I'd consider buying this if they are. :P

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:58 pm

Levitz did an interview with CBR a couple months ago and was rather coy about what's going to happen down the road as Kara and Helena will be in the Worlds End weekly series.
Starting in October with #27 , Worlds' Finest will switch it's focus to untold stories of the Earth 2 Superman and Batman, and that will also allow them to explore the histories of Kara, Helena, Catwoman and maybe Wonder Woman.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:02 pm

AFAIK, there hasn't been any information leaked on what, if anything, either of the two characters will be doing after World's End wraps. I don't think a parent book has been announced, but it sounds to me like they won't be coming back to Worlds' Finest in any meaningful way in any case.

Kind of sad IMO. Levitz so completely missed the mark with both characters, which is sort of astonishing in its way, considering. But he set back PG at least perhaps a decade in characterization, and dealt her a crippling blow in terms of her fan base and probably in terms of how DC views her, so I think its for the best if he never really gets another chance at writing them.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 817 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:04 pm

achilles wrote:AFAIK, there hasn't been any information leaked on what, if anything, either of the two characters will be doing after World's End wraps. I don't think a parent book has been announced, but it sounds to me like they won't be coming back to Worlds' Finest in any meaningful way in any case.

Kind of sad IMO. Levitz so completely missed the mark with both characters, which is sort of astonishing in its way, considering. But he set back PG at least perhaps a decade in characterization, and dealt her a crippling blow in terms of her fan base and probably in terms of how DC views her, so I think its for the best if he never really gets another chance at writing them.

Obviously Kara was being thrown out so a new black Power Girl can exist.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:59 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:
Obviously Kara was being thrown out so a new black Power Girl can exist.

The only thing she's being thrown out of is the main Earth (for now).

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:43 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:

The only thing she's being thrown out of is the main Earth (for now).

Yeah, so we get this sorta looks like Misty Knight replacement character that they'll likely "fridge" if or when she fails.

Tired of the race flipping and tired of seeing characters tossed away.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

HNutz likes this post.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 239 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:01 am

The Old Doctor wrote:
Yeah, so we get this sorta looks like Misty Knight replacement character that they'll likely "fridge" if or when she fails.

Tired of the race flipping and tired of seeing characters tossed away.

It's DC's new mantra.

"White is out and Black is in!"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:05 am

GOSD wrote:
It's DC's new mantra.

"White is out and Black is in!"

Yeah as well is, "If white, must be gay."

What's even worse, they treat these characters and the older ones like shit.

Like Anima -

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:30 am

If there's one criticism I consistently hear about DC, it's that their characters are too Black.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:42 am

superfictious wrote:If there's one criticism I consistently hear about DC, it's that their characters are too Black.

Stop attending those White Power rallies :P

2 people like this post.

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby achilles » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:57 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Honestly, this one leaves me speechless. Herald at least will be proud, since Levitz managed to write the definition of Mary Sue to perfection.

This...is...bad. There's really no way around it. This issue reads like really, really bad fan fiction. Worse, it reads like boring fan fiction. The least he could do would have been to put steamy sex scenes in it to liven the crappy writing, plotting and characterization up, but no, not Paul Levitz, Boring but clean is his way.

As for the Nu...er...Power Girl, I don't mind that she's black, since I completely dismiss her. She's also basically a totally new character. Did classic PG ever command the Enterprise after saving the universe with the power of her sheer awesomeness? I think not. Of course, the classic PG hasn't been around for a few years, which is another reason I don't care about the coloring change. Basically, this series never happened. It was a bad trip after smoking shredded copies of the Mr. Terrible series---but then you'd have to expect some horrible side effects from doing that... :shock:

Worst thing though is Levitz seems to know he's writing a Mary Sue, and hams it up as a F*you to the fans, his final farewell and F*off.

Which wouldn't surprise me if true. Par for the course with this management team at DC, and their pet writers. "Eat shit and die" as a corporate philosophy is certainly novel, so we'll have to sit back a while and see if customers/fans of DC really enjoy being told to suck and blow...Dan Didio...is good customer relations. Because at this point the message to fans seems clear.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

HNutz likes this post.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:53 am

Ah, Achilles, predictable as ever :lol:
Yeah, for "bad fan fiction" the reviews would say otherwise. Are they over-the-top glowing and calling this a "must read" ? No, but it's nowhere as bad as you, for some reason, need the world to believe.
DC Comics News: 3 out of 5
Batman News: 7 out of 10
InsidePulse: don't give ratings but call it " An entertaining issue with solid story and art. Can’t wait for next month!"

And in all fairness, I will continue to look for other reviews, good, bad or otherwise.

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby achilles » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:51 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Ah, Achilles, predictable as ever :lol:
Yeah, for "bad fan fiction" the reviews would say otherwise. Are they over-the-top glowing and calling this a "must read" ? No, but it's nowhere as bad as you, for some reason, need the world to believe.
DC Comics News: 3 out of 5
Batman News: 7 out of 10
InsidePulse: don't give ratings but call it " An entertaining issue with solid story and art. Can’t wait for next month!"

And in all fairness, I will continue to look for other reviews, good, bad or otherwise.

You are aware that you can dress up swine as pearls but it's still going to be bacon at the end of the day. Which isn't to say WF is either tasty or bad for you.

But as well, the comic book review sites these days get by with never offending the big two, (and sometimes the big three), so you can't really rely on that.

IF someone held a gun to my head and asked me which reviews would be the least biased, I'd day get a representative sample of reviews of the title from THIS site---that is to say persuade a bunch of people from the Outhouse that reading WF won't give them cancer---IF they restrict it to just the one issue. I'm not convinced it won't, but for the sake of science, I'm willing to chance it; to risk the lives of my fellow Outhousers in a noble experiment for science.

But of course I doubt you can get very many Outhousers to read this issue, even if you make it available for free, simply because though it may be difficult to find a more wretched hive of scum and villainry than the Outhouse, they're not completely stupid. Only mostly stupid.

What say you Outhouse, does Worlds' Finest #26 Suck or Blow?

On a numerical scale of 1 to 10 give Worlds' Finest a rating with for writing, with 5 being the maximum, and -5 the minimum, and also for art.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:07 pm

Is it me, or does NuPower Girl have a double boobie window?

Cleavage and underboob... oh sweet lord of nerds... thank you...

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand