Advertisement

Hulk #005 (The More Things Change...)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 562 posts

Hulk #005 (The More Things Change...)

Postby HNutz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:42 pm

So I sorta dropped Hulk when I heard Waid was leaving 4 issues into this run but decided to give the new Hulk writer a chance.

The prologue (a.k.a. Waid's run) - Bruce Banner is shot in the head, severely affecting both Banner & Hulk. Hulk is eventually healed, thanks to Tony Stark & Extremis. But he's... changed.

Duggan's run - Hulk is now smart. Calling himself "Doc Green" and sporting a mohawk, he gets his S.H.I.E.L.D team of scientists to mix up a batch of a gamma cure he whipped up recently (Earlier, they showed him taking down a country's gamma powered weapons) and nanites capable of surviving in his system. He needs adamantium to make the nanites, so where to go besides Kang's trophy room at the end of time?(That's where the scene on the variant cover comes from)

Anyhow, they get the adamantium and his team gets the cure ready to go. They wonder if Doc Green knows the cure won't work on him? But, if not him... then who? Well, there's that appearance by Rick Jones/Abomination at the end... Talk about being an "A-hole"!

Oh, yeah, and when asked about Banner and if he's okay (who's shown banging away inside "Hulk"), Doc Green simply says
"That depends on your definition of 'okay'." Yeah, that's not exactly reassuring...

I'm enjoying this so far, even if it does remind me of Superior Spider-Man & Armor Wars. I always like Bagley's work and this is no exception. 8)

Thoughts?

misac likes this post.

Advertisement

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts

Re: Hulk #005 (The More Things Change...)

Postby misac » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:04 pm

That's a lot of blackout. :D

I like Duggan on Deadpool so I decided to stick around but I haven't gotten this yet.

HNutz likes this post.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 774 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:57 pm

Sounds like the Peter David era all over again.

"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

HNutz likes this post.

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 426 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:15 pm

I really like the story but it is very hard to enjoy completely because the artwork is awful! I do not think Bagley should be on this book. He doesn't draw a good Hulk at all. He was fine on Ultimate Spider-Man but I truly dislike his work on this book.
ImageImageImage

2 people like this post.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 119 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:14 pm

T-Roy Space Cowboy wrote:I really like the story but it is very hard to enjoy completely because the artwork is awful! I do not think Bagley should be on this book. He doesn't draw a good Hulk at all. He was fine on Ultimate Spider-Man but I truly dislike his work on this book.

He's pretty much only good when drawing Spidey, IMO.

I kept looking at this at the shop tonight, but decided to wait til I've read some reviews. I might grab it next week since it'll be a smaller week.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

troysshr likes this post.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:21 pm

T-Roy Space Cowboy wrote:I really like the story but it is very hard to enjoy completely because the artwork is awful! I do not think Bagley should be on this book. He doesn't draw a good Hulk at all. He was fine on Ultimate Spider-Man but I truly dislike his work on this book.

I just always dislike his art. I'm really glad to see Dugan get a shot on a serious book so I'll give him the shot at least till it's not good.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

troysshr likes this post.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 381 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:29 pm

HNutz nailed it - This new Hulk isn't much more than a regurgitation of PAD and Michelinie/Layton work.

And how does Hulk (sorry Dr. Green :roll: ) sport a mohawk? His healing factor has always regrown his hair before - why/how is it selective now?

If this story makes Rick just a guy again - good. Rick can dabble with powers sometimes, but he's always worked best as a simple human in extraordinary situations.

I'll give this one more issue, but I'm done unless something fresh or original happens.

HNutz likes this post.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand