Advertisement

Review Group #444.EX - The Multiversity #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Review Group #444.EX - The Multiversity #1

Postby GLX » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:17 pm

Because the group demanded it....

The Multiversity #1

President Superman of Earth-23 uncovers a threat to all Reality so apocalyptic it will take a team of incredible heroes from across the Multiverse to face it!

Digital copy can be found here.

Normally, this wouldn't be covered by the review group due to its price. However, in part to support from within the group, this will be a special side thread. With the exception of the price, the same rules from the normal review group apply here. Reviewing this comic will count as a review in the main group. Cool? Cool.

The regular thread can be found here.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Review Group #444.EX - The Multiversity #1

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:07 pm

Well, I will chime in on this one.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:43 am

Definitely gonna have to read that again. Also, I am obviously gonna need to reread some older stuff. There was a lot in that one issue to take in.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 43 posts

Postby AngusH » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Morrison deserves credit for still, after all these years, trying to take the genre of superhero comics into unfamiliar, new territory. Comics as a format have their own limitations as story telling mediums, and those are doubly compounded when you also factor in the enforced limitations around writing for Marvel/DC.

My problem with Multiversity is similar to my problem with Final Crisis. Morrison has some epic and probably quite amazing stories in his mind. Unfortunately I think sometimes they are so epic that things get lost in translation from mind to comic book page, and grand concepts instead become either vague and confusing or, to the other extreme, heavy-handedly obvious.

Yeah, multiple readings help, but I still always feel like I'm only getting 70-80% of the story that Morrison is trying to tell. I'll give it another shot with issue #2, but I just don't think this kind of book impresses me as much now as it did when I was younger.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:25 pm

AngusH wrote:Morrison deserves credit for still, after all these years, trying to take the genre of superhero comics into unfamiliar, new territory. Comics as a format have their own limitations as story telling mediums, and those are doubly compounded when you also factor in the enforced limitations around writing for Marvel/DC.

My problem with Multiversity is similar to my problem with Final Crisis. Morrison has some epic and probably quite amazing stories in his mind. Unfortunately I think sometimes they are so epic that things get lost in translation from mind to comic book page, and grand concepts instead become either vague and confusing or, to the other extreme, heavy-handedly obvious.

Yeah, multiple readings help, but I still always feel like I'm only getting 70-80% of the story that Morrison is trying to tell. I'll give it another shot with issue #2, but I just don't think this kind of book impresses me as much now as it did when I was younger.

Score = ?

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 43 posts

Postby AngusH » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:00 am

GLX wrote:Score = ?

I'll give it a 6.5/10.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:39 pm

Morrison is like Bendis for me. I enjoy the work of both writers, but I will always admit that there are some things that about their writing that I have problems with. Multiversity is a prime example of Morrison's writing. There are some things I had big problems with, but despite those problems, I still enjoyed this issue. The biggest problem I had was with the size of the cast. There are so many members of the Mutiversity that by the end I felt I didn't know enough about most of them. It's difficult to care about a bunch of characters when most of them aren't even given names.

The other problem is with the villains. The Gentry are interesting, most Morrison creations are at the very least that, but their motivations are vague. Yes, they are clearly threat, but why do they want to do what they're doing. I sense that as a reader I'm supposed to know, but Morrison doesn't make it clear.

Now that I've talked about the problems, I'll talk about what I did enjoy. The members of the cast that Morrison decides to focus on do get fleshed out to a point that I do care about them. The Superman of Earth-23 is a character that I want to cheer for. The same can be said for the Thunderer. The new Captain Carrot is fun in most scenes. I wasn't sure about him at first, but Morrison's focus on cartoon physics regarding his powers and abilities won me over by the end of the issue.

Overall this was a good beginning to this series. Yeah I know it's not strictly a series, but since there seems to be a Multiversity one shot being published each month, it's a series by default.

7 out of 10

Thank you Troy for the sig

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:58 pm

The Multiversity #1

What's real? What's a comic book? What's real inside a comic book?

Those are all questions that sprout out of Multiversity. The only problem is I don't really care about the answer. I want a good story that crosses universes with a myriad of characters. And while the book seems initially on wanting to explore those questions, thankfully, a decent story happens along the way (that's much more interesting than Morrison metaphysics/philosophies).

Nix Uotan is a Monitor that jumps into a universe (#7) with his pet/partner ape Mr. Stubbs. There they meet the Thunderer (a hero) and the Gentry (a concept being of chaos and impossibility). Uotan sends the Thunderer off universe so that he can take on the Gentry himself (something that is quickly shown he's no match for).

The Thunderer ends up on a Monitor ship where a just arrived Superman (Earth 23) asks what's going on to Captain Carrot (who despite being written intelligently - is just as awful a character as he was 40 years ago). Other heroes are there too: Bloodwynd, Gypsy, Lady Quark, and a number of variants of recognizable heroes (and some new ones like Dino-Cop).

Together they head to another Earth (#8) where they fight some Avenger analogues. Meanwhile NotDoctor Doom defeats the notFantastic Four and hatches an egg that brings forth Nix Uotan (not the nice one from earlier in the book, but the one driven insane by his time on Earth 7).

To put it bluntly - there's a lot that happens and it happens fast. Intermixed with he story are typical Morrison ideas that sound fun (a space ship made of frozen music) - but ever present, just a breath under the page, hints that Morrison quality that requires LSD to understand. Thankfully it's not a strong breath because the story doesn't need it. (or maybe I just don't want it).

The art is great (as is the coloring). Ivan Reis and Joe Prado are a great combo.

Story - 6
Art - 8
Overall - 7

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:02 pm

So... I said I would review this, so here goes...
Multiversity #1
Written by Grant Morrison
Pencils by Ivan Reis
Inks by Joe Prado
Colors by Todd Klein

"House of Heroes"

So, I've read this book three times now. Without having read Final Crisis or Crisis on Infinite Earths, I'm not sure the reader could have a grasp of what is going on. This is Morrison at his worst. Not only is he referential to the point of obscuring what happens on the page, he is also being very self-referential. Things happen off the page and not only do they happen off the page, like Nix Uotan's death (and given the end of the book, well, is he even dead?), we are only told in passing. This is the main character of the book at the beginning and his death is pretty much handled by another character going "he died." Ugh.

The literal deus ex machina from Final Crisis is back in a song that harmonizes the universe somehow? Didn't get it then, don't get it now.

There is cool stuff, the haunted comic, whatever world we are on in the beginning of the book getting the ball rolling, Captain Carrot, Obama Superman, but it's all kind of mixed up in this nonsensical too big for its britches story Morrison can't figure out how to get across in the first installment.

I thought I like Ivan Reis, and for the most part this book is in that House DC style that was the forefront back when 52 came out. However, his Captain Carrot is ugly and Rufino's colors are all wrong, too dark and muddle the artwork.

This is a book I want to like a lot, but I just don't.

Story - 3
Art - 3
Overall 3/10

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:06 pm

thefourthman wrote:So... I said I would review this, so here goes...
Multiversity #1
Written by Grant Morrison
Pencils by Ivan Reis
Inks by Joe Prado
Colors by Todd Klein

"House of Heroes"

So, I've read this book three times now. Without having read Final Crisis or Crisis on Infinite Earths, I'm not sure the reader could have a grasp of what is going on. This is Morrison at his worst. Not only is he referential to the point of obscuring what happens on the page, he is also being very self-referential. Things happen off the page and not only do they happen off the page, like Nix Uotan's death (and given the end of the book, well, is he even dead?), we are only told in passing. This is the main character of the book at the beginning and his death is pretty much handled by another character going "he died." Ugh.

The literal deus ex machina from Final Crisis is back in a song that harmonizes the universe somehow? Didn't get it then, don't get it now.

There is cool stuff, the haunted comic, whatever world we are on in the beginning of the book getting the ball rolling, Captain Carrot, Obama Superman, but it's all kind of mixed up in this nonsensical too big for its britches story Morrison can't figure out how to get across in the first installment.

I thought I like Ivan Reis, and for the most part this book is in that House DC style that was the forefront back when 52 came out. However, his Captain Carrot is ugly and Rufino's colors are all wrong, too dark and muddle the artwork.

This is a book I want to like a lot, but I just don't.

Story - 3
Art - 3
Overall 3/10

I can't count this due to....

Any review posted (with a score on a scale from 0-10, that's right 0!) within 1 calendar month of the thread going live.

However, your review of The Names can still count. Just needs a link (maybe pasted test) and a score.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:50 pm

GLX wrote:
I can't count this due to....

However, your review of The Names can still count. Just needs a link (maybe pasted test) and a score.

I didn't necessarily think it would count, just doing what I promised. I haven't reviewed names, but I could certainly pick it up on comixology, how long do I have on that one?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:56 pm

Yeah, I can maybe do that on weds, I have two books to cover for the site this week still and the roundup. I'm off on weds so I can read and review that then.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:24 pm

thefourthman wrote:I didn't necessarily think it would count, just doing what I promised. I haven't reviewed names, but I could certainly pick it up on comixology, how long do I have on that one?

Within a month of it bejng posted. I kinda thought that Names review was yours since the timing of it was at least a week from release. Weird vibes.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Nope.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:32 pm

But I did buy it, i'll get to it on weds.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand