Advertisement

Original Sins #5 (Spoilers): I kinda saw it coming, but...

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 63 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Original Sins #5 (Spoilers): I kinda saw it coming, but...

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:01 pm

OK. First things first: Spoilers in the thread title; be forewarned, blah blah blah.

Second up: OK. This is a comic book. So the ability to elicit emotion, in this case sadness, is relative to the medium.

Because, again, it's a comic book.

But in that realm, for those who have invested themselves in Marvel for years and years...this was a sad issue. The first story was really sad.

It might outrage some people, and I totally get that. Totally understand it.

But I see what Marvel did there, and it makes sense to me. I get it. I'll talk about it more, if more people decide they want to in the thread.

But for now...it was a pretty sad story, really.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 134 posts

Re: Original Sins #5 (Spoilers): I kinda saw it coming, but.

Postby doombug » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:15 pm

I'm not trying to be a dick here but if you write spoilers in your post, put the spoilers in the post.

Don't be vague. :smt011

2 people like this post.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 278 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:20 pm

teh fuq happened?
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:25 pm

doombug wrote:I'm not trying to be a dick here but if you write spoilers in your post, put the spoilers in the post.

Don't be vague. :smt011

HA! OK! I guess I can do that -- I never can tell if more people would rather have the opportunity to read something, as opposed to having the temptation to read spoilers before they pick up the issue.

Soooo...here goes:

The first story features Old Man Fury getting paid a visit by Dum Dum Dugan, who clearly knows about Nick's activities as "The Man on the Wall." And he doesn't particularly care for it.

But Dugan explains to Nick that he doesn't have to be old, just because the Infinity Formula has burned out of his system. Because he still has it in his system, and he can share it with Nick.

And the Orb, who is being interrogated at this time (this takes place before the heroes arrive at Old Man Fury's satellite) says, "Oh, my. He doesn't know."

And Dugan basically says, "Know what?"

And Old Man Fury takes Dum Dum to a hidden room...where he shows Dugan the 14th LMD of one...Timothy Dugan.

Because Dum Dum Dugan's been dead since 1966, after dying from a stray bullet that ricocheted while on a mission with Nick against Hydra, while they were with SHIELD.

And Dugan didn't believe it. And he was going to take Nick in, then drew a gun on him and tried to shoot him...but couldn't pull the trigger because he is an LMD.

Nick explains he was sorry, that Dugan didn't deserve to die the way he had and that Nick wanted to keep him around, even though he was an LMD, because he was his friend and that Dum Dum and he were the last remnants of a forgotten era.

But the Dugan LMD was outraged, and said what Nick had done was wrong and twisted, and that if he was really his friend, he would stop what he was doing and not bring him back.

And then he shot himself in the head, ending his "life."

But Fury didn't appear to accept this, saying, "That's not the way the world works," indicating that he would activate Dugan LMD 14.

That's how it ended.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:28 pm

GHERU wrote:teh fuq happened?

more Nick Fury dickery

He's almost as bad as Professor X :roll:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
and GuitarSmashley :shock:

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Are you fucking kidding me? :smt011

The Old Doctor likes this post.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:44 pm

doombug wrote:Are you fucking kidding me? :smt011

Nope. Yes, it's an absolute retcon that doesn't work with "Secret Invasion," on some levels, just off the top of my head...but it's pretty much what I call a "buttonhook."

Because at some point, you did have to explain how, if Fury could give the Infinity Formula to Mockingbird and Bucky, why Dum Dum Dugan wouldn't do the same for Nick.

Again, I get it: It's a retcon. But I understand why Marvel did it. At some point, they're making people move on from the old SHIELD era, the Howling Commandos era.

Hickman killed the majority of them in "Secret Warriors," and I understood what they were doing, then.

I'm not saying I agree with it. But just like DC did with the JSA -- which I also don't agree with -- I do understand it.

Byron Brown
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 163 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Original Sins #5 (Spoilers): I kinda saw it coming, but...

Postby Byron Brown » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Dum Dum Dugan died a long time ago. I think in the 50's or early 60's. Nick has been using LMD's ever since.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:
more Nick Fury dickery

He's almost as bad as Professor X :roll:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
and GuitarSmashley :shock:

No one's THAT big a dick! :shock:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:53 pm

GOSD wrote:
No one's THAT big a dick! :shock:

I am extremely well endowed.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 99 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:25 pm

At first I thought Fury was destined to be the new Watcher, but it looks like the Orb may be inheriting that role. It looks like old Nick is just being shuffled off to be replaced by his son (in order to match up with the cinematic universe). I guess they're taking everything connected to Old Nick Fury off the table, which means Dum Dum had to go too.

At least we got a good story out of it.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 381 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:54 pm

MrBlack wrote:At first I thought Fury was destined to be the new Watcher, but it looks like the Orb may be inheriting that role. It looks like old Nick is just being shuffled off to be replaced by his son (in order to match up with the cinematic universe). I guess they're taking everything connected to Old Nick Fury off the table, which means Dum Dum had to go too.

At least we got a good story out of it.

As long as the original Nick is so beloved by comic fans, the new one will never be fully accepted.

But retcon the original Nick into an asshole and the new one should shine a little brighter.

It's a decent strategy that only craps on the older fans.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 774 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:08 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Nope. Yes, it's an absolute retcon that doesn't work with "Secret Invasion," on some levels, just off the top of my head...but it's pretty much what I call a "buttonhook."

Because at some point, you did have to explain how, if Fury could give the Infinity Formula to Mockingbird and Bucky, why Dum Dum Dugan wouldn't do the same for Nick.

Again, I get it: It's a retcon. But I understand why Marvel did it. At some point, they're making people move on from the old SHIELD era, the Howling Commandos era.

Hickman killed the majority of them in "Secret Warriors," and I understood what they were doing, then.

I'm not saying I agree with it. But just like DC did with the JSA -- which I also don't agree with -- I do understand it.

It also screws away/ignores a ton of Nick Fury and SHIELD continuity too. :smt011

I wonder if the Contessa or Maria are LMDs? Could be a sexist part of this as with the Garth Ennis written MAX Fury series. :smt017
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 774 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:10 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:

I am extremely well endowed.

Pix or we call bullshi.... never mind. Forget it. Ritual gone bad.

Alternate joke = That's what Yale Stewart said in his posts! :P
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:47 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:
Pix or we call bullshi.... never mind. Forget it. Ritual gone bad.

Alternate joke = That's what Yale Stewart said in his posts! :P

Get ready

it's gonna be next

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand