Advertisement

New 52 Green Arrow #1 Question

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Kcrizzy17
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Newbie

New 52 Green Arrow #1 Question

Postby Kcrizzy17 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Hello, I am a relatively new collector with mostly Green Arrow. I recently decided to start picking up the New 52 stuff, I didn't when it first came out because I heard bad things about the series, I came across the #1 and basically what I wanted to know was why the price is 15-20 dollars anywhere I look, ebay or Mycomicshop.com, I've looked at the price for quite a few of the other new 52 #1's and they are still around cover price, aside from the big titles such as batman and JLA. Any help with be helpful thanks!

Advertisement

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 186 posts

Re: New 52 Green Arrow #1 Question

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:06 pm

Thats weird. No idea. Its not like it started out all that good. Its gotten better but still not Green Arrow too me.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 388 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:26 pm

New52 Green Arrow started out as a decent but generic super-hero comic under Jurgens and then Nocenti.

But it's #17 when Lemire took over that things started improving and once the initial Komodo story line finished, Green Arrow became one of the best books out there.

By the time The Outsiders story began, I all but forgot that other archer series :-D

Glacier16 likes this post.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 784 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Perhaps do to a low print run or error in it?

Obviously there was some sort of demand for it, and really, that sometimes is utterly artificial. There could be some guy called something like... Gareb Shamus... who bought a ton of copies of it to corner it on a collectors market. Now... it's hard to get due to few copies outside of some guy called something like... Gareb Shamus...'s basement or garage.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 388 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:Perhaps do to a low print run or error in it?

Obviously there was some sort of demand for it, and really, that sometimes is utterly artificial. There could be some guy called something like... Gareb Shamus... who bought a ton of copies of it to corner it on a collectors market. Now... it's hard to get due to few copies outside of some guy called something like... Gareb Shamus...'s basement or garage.

Ah, the good old days when he could inflate the price of any book he wanted just because he had two copies.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 784 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Amoebas wrote:Ah, the good old days when he could inflate the price of any book he wanted just because he had two copies.

You don't recall? The moron had really boxed a number of copies of certain comics to make them worth more. Blew up in his face. What always made me laugh, other then dislike for the guy (and speculators in general) was that back around 1980, there was a fanzine

... concerning the X-Men with a comic strip of an idiot mouse that bought up tons of copies of Giant-Size X-Men #1 and then used it to make a financial empire. It then collapsed on him as he continued to be an asshole with other comics.

It so prophesied Gareb Shamus.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:53 am

Kcrizzy17 wrote:Hello, I am a relatively new collector with mostly Green Arrow. I recently decided to start picking up the New 52 stuff, I didn't when it first came out because I heard bad things about the series, I came across the #1 and basically what I wanted to know was why the price is 15-20 dollars anywhere I look, ebay or Mycomicshop.com, I've looked at the price for quite a few of the other new 52 #1's and they are still around cover price, aside from the big titles such as batman and JLA. Any help with be helpful thanks!

This is very odd.

It's hard to imagine why GA #1 would be worth much more than cover price. I've seen a few go a bit above cover price, like the first few Gail Simone Batgirls, or as you mention JLA or Batman. But Green Arrow? That series has never really been "hot" and certainly wasn't back at the time. I'd have thought most shops would have over-ordered the first couple of issues of it.

I guess whether you should pay that much or not depends on how much of a Green Arrow groupie you are. I'm a huge Supergirl groupie so I have been known to shell out completely absurd amounts of money (to me, anything over $7-8 is obscene for a single comic book issue) for her stuff. But I'm not sure I'd pay $15-20 even for a Supergirl issue unless it was a really rare Peter David (and I have all of those, fortunately), or else one of the issues from the 1972 series, which is at least old enough, and rare enough, and classic enough, to warrant such a price.

But New 52 comics for $20? No. Just no.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand