Advertisement

Supergirl #34 - she really HAS changed

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 485 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Supergirl #34 - she really HAS changed

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Supergirl #34
"The Girl Who Fell To Earth". A SUPERMAN -DOOMED tie-in! Kara must deal with the fall-out of the green Kryptonite skies over a dead Earth, and the horrors still to come!
Written by: Tony Bedard
Art by: Karl Moline, Jose Marzan Jr

Bedard kept teasing that after her short stint as a Red Lantern, Kara would come out changed. He wasn't blowing smoke. Just in this issue alone she is more like her pre-reboot self. The anger is gone and in it's place we have a confident young girl, using her intelligence and powers to help others even if it means risking danger to herself. And since Superman is currently off-planet she has taken the task of being Earth's Kryptonian protector despite the bad wrap Superman is facing right now due to the Doomsday events.

Not sure if this is just this Moline's homage but her hair and sleeves even look more pre-reboot now. This is a welcome change and one she really deserves !

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

2 people like this post.

Advertisement

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 152 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Re: Supergirl #34 - she really HAS changed

Postby Pink_Orchid » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Who cares about the sleeves, get rid of the stupid crotch panel and kneeless boots. I blame Lee and his obsession with a million lines. Simplify man.

2 people like this post.

Kurosawa
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 201 posts

Postby Kurosawa » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Pink_Orchid wrote:Who cares about the sleeves, get rid of the stupid crotch panel and kneeless boots. I blame Lee and his obsession with a million lines. Simplify man.

Some people can pull off the complex costumes, but Lee isn't one of them. Less is more for Kryptonians especially.
Doomed planet. Desperate scientists. Last hope. Kindly couple.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1091 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Pink_Orchid wrote:Who cares about the sleeves, get rid of the stupid crotch panel and kneeless boots. I blame Lee and his obsession with a million lines. Simplify man.

I like the crotch panel. But her knees should be blue or yellow to make the boots/leggings more real. Maybe cover her thighs too.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Pink_Orchid wrote:Who cares about the sleeves, get rid of the stupid crotch panel and kneeless boots.

Baby steps, my friend. Baby steps. It's a frickin' huge leap forward that they finally straightened out her personality and her reason for being. :D
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 299 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:27 pm

Next they should kill off Kara's father, so the one true Cyborg Superman can return.

Glacier16 likes this post.

!Pharozonk!
Helter Skelter

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: Run! It's a reboot!

Postby !Pharozonk! » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:42 pm

No comment by Chessack on this?
Long Live the Legion!

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 447 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Sorry, I was at work.

Supergirl #34 was OK. But here is the problem. When Bedard came on board and immediately started the Red Daughter crossover with Red Lanterns, which was so transparently a stunt that his claims to the contrary are laughable, the rationalization they used for doing this whole thing with the Red Ring was that it would "help Kara work out her rage issues." If you didn't read Red Daughter and just read #34, you'd think, wow, it really did help.

But in the Red Daughter crossover, NOTHING HAPPENED to help Kara get through her rage. She stayed pretty much the same for 9/10ths of it and then on the last 2 pages of the final issue (Supergirl #33), all of a sudden, ding, rage cured. She didn't go through any sort of development process to have this happen. She didn't confront her rage or work through it in a realistic way. She just magically got rid of it.

So yeah, her personality seems better in this issue, but in a way so what? Bedard has ONE more issue of regular Supergirl (not counting the Future's End dreck that is coming up next month), and then Bedard is gone and Mike Johnson returns along with another co-writer. Will they keep going in the "non rage" direction that Bedard has done for one whole issue (or two if he does it in #35 too)? Or will they go back to Rage Girl, which to some degree Johnson started in the first place (she was rage-girl right from the start in issue 1, punching before thinking, and has been that way right up until this issue).

I appreciate that Bedard has finally changed her but nothing in the previous 8 or so issues that he's done has led to this. He just snapped his fingers and changed things.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:51 am

Some of us are glass half-full folks.
Some of us are glass half-empty folks.

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Postby Psivage » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:
I like the crotch panel.

I bet you do, perv.

outsider likes this post.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 575 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:30 pm

That was a great issue and I love the character change. The promise of a relationship with her new 'boyfriend' is also welcome.

IvCNuB4 likes this post.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand