Advertisement

Did anyone start a thread on Multiversity?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 244 posts

Did anyone start a thread on Multiversity?

Postby TimH » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:03 pm

I enjoyed Multiversity a lot as a funny book. I'm a Grant M Doom Patrol fan and think his best nonsense is the deliberate stuff.

But, Bleeding cool gave it a pretty harsh review. Said Morrison lifted most of his ideas from current goings-on at Marvel. I haven't been reading the Marvel Avenger mags so it was new-ish to me.

I mean, the idea of all these parallel earths has been done before anyway, since like 1963 when Justice League of America had three earths. Grant just gives things a funny take. It's all nonsense, but funny nonsense.

My LCS owner and the guys who don't like joke books are coming down on it.

Advertisement

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 315 posts

Re: Did anyone start a thread on Multiversity?

Postby avengingtitan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm

I really liked it. It is a little mind bending but fun.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

TimH likes this post.

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 52 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:40 pm

It was alright. Same ground Morrison has tread before, with alternate takes on superheroes and big meta-textual threats to reality. He's been doing it since his Animal Man run. I'm hoping the rest of the series is more about life on these different worlds of the Multiverse than the over-arcing plot of everything being in danger.

TimH likes this post.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:41 pm

The Multiversity thing in DC isn't really original but I would take this over the New 52 dreck that was forced on us.

2 people like this post.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 942 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:20 pm

It's third time around for this plot for me. So bored with it.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

2 people like this post.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:22 pm

The stand out character for me was the new Captain Carrot.

Thank you Troy for the sig

3 people like this post.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Stephen Day wrote:The stand out character for me was the new Captain Carrot.

Not bad, but Super PoUS was better.

Hell, that's the only good thing in a sense out of the whole thing. A Superman that read AS Superman AND had a new twist - Brainiac the iBuckle.

But Carrot was kind of fun. Nothing like the original, but.. what the hell is these days? :smt011
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

TimH likes this post.

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 244 posts

Postby TimH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:56 am

The Old Doctor wrote:It's third time around for this plot for me. So bored with it.

What are the other two? Do you mean the original Crisis on Infinite Earths?

But, I agree the plot is nothing to write home about. The art is good and the nonsense humor gave me a chuckle. I want to see Grant's "forgotten humanism" that came out in Doom Patrol--a lot of satire on the "bad things in the real world" and characters struggling to cope (Cliff, Crazy Jane, Dorothy). But, I take it that Multiversity will be satire for the sake of satire. The "gentry", the guys on Bleeding Cool interpret, is a metatextual poke at IP holders and corporate owners, but it's hardly a message to make one reflective and glazy-eyed. It's a lampoon. For fun. I'm having fun--I didn't have fun with his serious, over-wrought Infinite Crisis stuff, but as stated am a huge fan of his Doom Patrol run, so I am amused.

outsider likes this post.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:48 am

TimH wrote:
What are the other two? Do you mean the original Crisis on Infinite Earths?

But, I agree the plot is nothing to write home about. The art is good and the nonsense humor gave me a chuckle. I want to see Grant's "forgotten humanism" that came out in Doom Patrol--a lot of satire on the "bad things in the real world" and characters struggling to cope (Cliff, Crazy Jane, Dorothy). But, I take it that Multiversity will be satire for the sake of satire. The "gentry", the guys on Bleeding Cool interpret, is a metatextual poke at IP holders and corporate owners, but it's hardly a message to make one reflective and glazy-eyed. It's a lampoon. For fun. I'm having fun--I didn't have fun with his serious, over-wrought Infinite Crisis stuff, but as stated am a huge fan of his Doom Patrol run, so I am amused.

Yup, it's CoIE and Infinite Crisis all over again. Hell, you can throw in Zero Hour too when I think about it.

The art is good, but then most comics these days are good that way. I'd rather just get more Doom Patrol from him. Loved that stuff back when it was new. I'm not as it's really just a cheap soap boxing wrapped in unoriginality all around. Morrison has backslide into being a bad lazy writer again... but then as some have pointed out, he's always be a plagiarist to one degree or another, so...

But really, very little if any good is coming out of this thing. At best, it's a time killer.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 709 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:49 am

I may check it out once it's collected, but $5 for a single issue is nutty bananas.
-

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 400 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:36 pm

outsider wrote:I may check it out once it's collected, but $5 for a single issue is nutty bananas.

Just wait. It won't be long before that is the standard price, especially if DC and Marvel can keep selling out the event books at that price.

outsider likes this post.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:13 pm

outsider wrote:I may check it out once it's collected, but $5 for a single issue is nutty bananas.

Luckily I get a discount at work. :P
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:20 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:
Yup, it's CoIE and Infinite Crisis all over again. Hell, you can throw in Zero Hour too when I think about it.

The art is good, but then most comics these days are good that way. I'd rather just get more Doom Patrol from him. Loved that stuff back when it was new. I'm not as it's really just a cheap soap boxing wrapped in unoriginality all around. Morrison has backslide into being a bad lazy writer again... but then as some have pointed out, he's always be a plagiarist to one degree or another, so...

But really, very little if any good is coming out of this thing. At best, it's a time killer.

I really disagree. Its a 8 issues 2 of which are bookends. If anything its more like 7 Soldiers. Each issue is self contained. There is an overarching plot though. The different worlds communicate through comics. Each world is a comic to another. I'm loving it.

Part of the idea is that if DC weren't idiots they would create a series out of some of the one shots. That actually was one of the ideas behind it according to Morrison.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:42 pm

avengingtitan wrote:
I really disagree. Its a 8 issues 2 of which are bookends. If anything its more like 7 Soldiers. Each issue is self contained. There is an overarching plot though. The different worlds communicate through comics. Each world is a comic to another. I'm loving it.

Part of the idea is that if DC weren't idiots they would create a series out of some of the one shots. That actually was one of the ideas behind it according to Morrison.

Great, so it's a repeat of Seven Soldiers too. :smt011

Great that you love it and more power to that, but for me... not working.

A Super PoUS series. Captain Carrot too. Those would be nice.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:16 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:
Great, so it's a repeat of Seven Soldiers too. :smt011

Great that you love it and more power to that, but for me... not working.

A Super PoUS series. Captain Carrot too. Those would be nice.

Yea except instead of a bunch of mini's its a few one shots. Normally I can't stand Morrisons DC stuff but this so far has been great.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand