Advertisement

Guardians of the Galaxy #18 (Potential Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1276 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Guardians of the Galaxy #18 (Potential Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:33 pm

Eighteen issues into Bendis' run on the Guardians of the Galaxy and he finally gets around to troubling himself with providing answers that have lingered in the minds of Marvel Cosmic fans since the end of the Thanos Imperative; namely what happened to Nova and how did Thanos, Star-Lord, and Drax return from the Cancerverse?

Unfortunately, this issue didn't really provide any of those answers. Gamora has Peter Quill strapped to a chair and insists that he tell her the secrets that he has been keeping from her since he returned from the Cancerverse. How did he return, why is Thanos alive, and where is Richard Rider? Surprisingly, Quill begins to tell the story although he warns her (and presumably the reader) that she won't like it. Stranded in the Cancerverse, Nova and Star-Lord attempt to gain the upper hand on Thanos when suddenly Drax (who had been destroyed at a molecular level by Thanos during the Thanos Imperative) inexplicably just shows up sans tattoos and begins attacking the Mad Titan. While the two behemoths clash, (oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Drax is back to his bulky pre-Annihilation size again) it looks like the Cancerverse itself has decided that it won't simply go quietly. Thanos demands that Star-Lord relinquishes the Cosmic Cube (wasn't the Cube cracked and it's energies spent during the Thanos Imperative?) but Quill uses it's to transport the 4 of them to safety. Again, Thanos demands that he be given the Cosmic Cube so that he can return them to their proper universe but we discover that the Cube itself has begun to take control of Star-Lord...

All things considered, the issue itself wasn't terrible. Much like the rest of Bendis' run, it's intriguing but falls short of the quality of the previous GotG series. That being said, there is one glaring problem with the issue and Bendis' writing that needs to be addressed. Knowing full well that this issue is the issue that Marvel Cosmic fans, Nova fans, and fans of the DnA GotG series have been waiting for, Brian Michael Bendis couldn't even be bothered to spell Richard Rider's name right! :smt013
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

guitarsmashley

Happy Pony Day!

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy #18 (Potential Spoilers)

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:19 pm

I honestly had no clue what happened in this issue. I did not read the thanos imperative and it would have been nice to see gamora knock out Quill and tie him to a chair...as opposed to just have it happen.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:23 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I honestly had no clue what happened in this issue. I did not read the thanos imperative and it would have been nice to see gamora knock out Quill and tie him to a chair...as opposed to just have it happen.

I didn't read the previous issue but even I could tell that it sorta came out of nowhere. :|
ImageImageImage

guitarsmashley

Happy Pony Day!

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Grayson wrote:
I didn't read the previous issue but even I could tell that it sorta came out of nowhere. :|

The current volume is my only exposure to the GOTG beyond the movie and the Rocket Raccoon series but, I've been really enjoying it. I didn't like this issue very much.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 610 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:49 pm

I just read The Thanos Imperative in anticipation of this issue like 2 days ago and I loved it! Gamora treating Star-Lord like a prisoner out of no where was a bit jarring, because the last issue the team had just gotten back together and they were all pretty happy to see each other. I would have loved to have seen more questions answered than raised in this issue but damn the art in this issue just made up for any short comings that the writing had. I don't think I have ever seen a more menacing or intimidating Thanos that what Ed McGuinness did in this issue! It was AWESOME!!! Hopefully things will begin to make a little more sense in the next couple of issues.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:51 pm

T-Roy Space Cowboy wrote:Hopefully things will begin to make a little more sense in the next couple of issues.

Hopefully Bendis will learn how to spell Rider in the next couple of issues as well. :P
ImageImageImage

Sasher McSmasher likes this post.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 428 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:05 pm

I didn't mind this issue, but I agree that it could have been better.

About Drax coming back, yeah, it's very strange just to see him pop back to life without a really good explanation. I'm hoping we'll get a better reason for why it happened than what we got this issue, but if we don't, I'm just going to assume that Kronos was involved somehow.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand