Advertisement

Green Lantern Corps #24

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Green Lantern Corps #24

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Click here for BuzzFeed's interview with Jensen and Venditti

“LIGHTS OUT” part two! John Stewart must lead a group of GLs in a last-ditch effort to save Oa and protect the other Lanterns as they retreat from Relic’s attack!

Written by: Van Jensen, Robert Venditti
Art by: Bernard Chang
Cover by: J.G. Jones
32 pages
U.S. Price: $2.99
On Sale: October 9, 2013

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Re: Green Lantern Corps #24

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Well, that puts a long-term kink in things. Venditti and Jensen just
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
blew up Oa !
:shock:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Well, that puts a long-term kink in things. Venditti and Jensen just
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
blew up Oa !
:shock:

I can't speak for every Green Lantern fan, but after Johns' decade of crossover after crossover and epic storyline after epic storyline, I'm really finding it hard to care at this point. The status quo never lasts more than two issues before the universe explodes.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1466 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:I can't speak for every Green Lantern fan, but after Johns' decade of crossover after crossover and epic storyline after epic storyline, I'm really finding it hard to care at this point. The status quo never lasts more than two issues before the universe explodes.

I agree with this. Up until Blackest Night, Green Lantern titles and Green Lantern Corps were consistently two of my favorite monthly titles. Things started to get a little weird around the introduction of the Alpha Lanterns but it didn't bother me that much. Unfortunately, the books haven't really regained the momentum that they had going into Blackest Night and I don't see it happening when these books are basically in constant crossover mode. I really would have liked for the new creative teams to have been allowed to let their respective titles stand on their own for awhile before diving right back into it.
ImageImageImage

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 349 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:
I can't speak for every Green Lantern fan, but after Johns' decade of crossover after crossover and epic storyline after epic storyline, I'm really finding it hard to care at this point. The status quo never lasts more than two issues before the universe explodes.

yeah same. i almost dropped out after rise of the third army because it was another filler crossover for another crossover, then i learned it'd be johns last work on the book so i stuck by it.

then i saw in the solicits for his successors that there'd be another mega crossover and i just said "fuck it" and bailed once again.

i just don't care about green lantern anymore. at all.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:47 am

Didn't OA already get blown up in another story prior to this? Seems kinda redundant by now.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:18 am

Draco x wrote:Didn't OA already get blown up in another story prior to this?

Wasn't it around the time that Hal was Parallax ?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:19 am

Draco x wrote:Didn't OA already get blown up in another story prior to this? Seems kinda redundant by now.

They blew up Mogo, are you thinking of that?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1466 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:33 am

Punchy wrote:They blew up Mogo

Yeah but he got better.
ImageImageImage

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 357 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:39 am

Yeah, I have to agree. I loved GL about 5 years ago but it's been going downhill ever since

The First Lantern storyline was BORING and the all-powerful villian vs. the GL's is getting tiresome.

Anti-Monitor, Superboy, Nekron, First Lantern, Relic....

:roll:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:02 pm

‘Lights Out’ continues to be a lot more enjoyable than I expected it to be. I really was burnt out on the constant Green Lantern crossovers, but here, big stuff is happening in every issue.

This time out, Oa fucking explodes! This was set up in the cliff-hanger of last week’s Green Lantern, but still, it was surprising when it actually happened. These new writers have only been around for 4 months, and they really are changing things, I’m digging it. The plot of this issue was fairly simple, but that’s not an issue, the GLC have a major threat to fight, and they come up with a plan, and execute it. The plan is to have John Stewart and his new recruits distract Relic, giving enough time for the injured GLs to get to the Citadel (which is a space-ship!) and for everyone else to escape.

John and his gang succeed, but at a cost, Jruk loses his arm, and Ergann sacrifices himself. Since the character of Ergann has only been around for 3 issues, it was hard to get too choked up by his death, but Jensen and Venditti try their darnedest, and do somewhat succeed. So what next for the Green Lanterns? Oa is destroyed, they have no way to charge their batteries, where are they going to go? The last page seems to indicate that the Indigo Tribe hold the answers, which should be interesting.

The artwork from Bernard Chang contributed a lot to the success of this issue, I really like his style, his depiction of Relic is the best yet, and he really got across the huge scale of this fight. I particularly liked the constant use of orange-coloured insert panels showing various different GLs in action against Relic’s spider-robot-thingies.

As I said, this crossover really is impressing me, these new writers are not afraid of stepping into Geoff Johns’ big boots, and it’s exciting to see things really get shaken up.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:24 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:

Wasn't it around the time that Hal was Parallax ?

Yeah that's what I meant. At the end of Zero Hour I believe.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:36 pm

This was great. The stakes have been raised significantly, the Lanterns are on the run... It feels almost like the Autobots not knowing how to face down Unicron. I didn't know if I would enjoy the post-Johns Era, but thus far it's been a hit!

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews