Advertisement

Wonder Woman #26 Preview

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Wonder Woman #26 Preview

Postby LOLtron » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Wonder Woman #26 Preview

The search for the First Born continues in 'Nowhereland'

Source: Comics Continuum preview

DC's solicit says:

Wonder Woman’s brother and sister are being held hostage by none other than Cassandra, the sadistic sibling she hasn’t even met yet! And speaking of hostages, we’re taking bets on how long chains can hold the First Born!

Written by:  Brian Azzarello
Art by:  Goran Sudzuka, Jose Marzan Jr 
Cover by:  Cliff Chiang
32 pages
$2.99
On Sale:  December 18, 2013

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 311 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Wonder Woman #26 Preview

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Well, this had a couple unexpected turns and cliff-hangers. 8)
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Wonder Woman #26 Preview

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:26 am

Whilst I’ve very much been enjoying the last few issues of this book, they have been a little slow, so this issue, that ramped up the action a bit and ended with a pretty major event, was very welcome indeed.

The main crux of the issue involved Cassandra’s kidnapping of Milan, and the attempts from both Orion and Wonder Woman to rescue him. Cassandra is trying to get Milan to tell her where the First Born is, but he refuses, and before she can really put the screws in, Orion shows up and furiously starts kicking the crap out of the Jackal Men. I’m a big fan of Orion as a character, so it was cool to once again see him get a bit more focus, and for Azzarello to really start examining what makes him tick, as well as his temper. Wonder Woman, Hermes and Siracca also join the fight, and I was pleased to see Hermes and Diana on the same page again.

In the midst of battle, Cassandra rips off Milan’s blindfold, and he is able to see where the First Born is, and well, he’s in the midst of another fucked-up torture scene at the hands of Apollo. Milan sees poor old First Born (never thought I’d say that) in a bath full of milk and honey, covered in flies that are eating him ‘from both ends’, which is just… ewww. But even after seeing this, Milan refuses to tell Cassandra where he is, even going to say that he’d rather die than tell her. Cassandra is about to make just that happen, when Wonder Woman just straight up tells her that the First Born is on Olympus. Whilst this does manage to save Milan’s life, it’s not exactly a smart move on Wonder Woman’s part, firstly because, well, Cassandra now has what she wants, secondly, because Milan now feels worthless, and also because she hasn’t really saved his life, as Cassandra stuck a bomb on him that will detonate in 1 minute. To save Milan, Orion boomtubes him off to New Genesis, but we have no idea whether or not that will work, for all we know, they both blew up on the way. So basically, Wonder Woman fucked up, which is refreshing.

To make matters worse, once she returns home, something else has gone terribly wrong, as Zola has ran away. This was due to some extremely sneaky manipulation by Strife, who basically used Lennox’s decapitated head to guilt Zola. 2 people have died to protect her and her baby, how many more will before the end? Zola leaves thinking she is protecting Diana, but really, she’s just causing more trouble as she walks straight into the hands of Dionysus.

This was an excellent issue of Wonder Woman as usual, but I think the extra action and the events at the end elevate it back to the heights we know this title can reach. The last few have been slow, but now, with Zola possibly heading for Apollo, the pace should quicken, and more epic shit is going to go down. I actually think you need these slight pauses for the big stuff to have meaning. It’s the same as in Invincible, you need stretches where smaller stuff happens so you know what big actually is. Goran Sudzuka’s art was great as ever, if we can’t have Chiang, he’s the next best thing, and I love his take on Apollo.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews