Advertisement

Daredevil #35 (Sooner work in roadkill removal Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Daredevil #35 (Sooner work in roadkill removal Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:02 am

The penultimate issue of this volume of Daredevil is just as great as the previous 34 issues, if not better. It’s still not clear just how Mark Waid and Christopher Samnee are going to move Matt Murdock from coast to coast, but I can’t wait to see how they do, that ending especially… hoo boy.

Waid picks things up right from #34’s shocking cliffhanger, with Matt receiving a call from the hospital telling him that something’s up with Foggy. Is he dead? Nope, in fact, this is all a set up from the Sons Of The Serpent, who want to have a word with our hero. They’ve had a Serpent Doctor inject Foggy with a radical new treatment that isn’t legal yet, although it is working, and they say they want to keep Foggy alive, and more than that, they have a job offer for Matt. Yes, that’s right, they want Matt to defend one of them in court. Matt of course refuses the case, which belongs to the son of one of these chief Serpents, who is accused of murder and arson when the Serpents burned down a tenement building. Whilst this attack was the Serpents’ doing, this particular man wasn’t there, and Matt can tell that his father is telling the truth, that he is innocent of this crime at least.

Matt still refuses, but then The Serpents reveal that they don’t just know he’s Daredevil like everyone else, but that they have thoroughly researched him and have documented proof that he is. If Matt doesn’t agree to defend this guy, they’ll reveal this evidence to the world, ruin his life, get him disbarred, close his firm and, perhaps most importantly of all right now for Matt, cause Foggy to lose his health insurance and die. Waid really has put Matt in an impossible situation here, if he says yes, he’s protecting himself and saving Foggy, and saving an ‘innocent’ man, but he’s helping the Serpents and letting himself be blackmailed. If he says no, he’s not letting the Serpents win, but he is ruining his life and effectively killing his best friend.

His solution is to clear his head by talking to and sparring with Elektra, and man, it was cool to see her show up again. I may be wrong about this, but I don’t think she’s appeared in any of Waid’s run so far, which is crazy considering how important she is to the character as a whole. I liked how Waid wrote her, and how she was slightly off-put by Matt’s new, light-hearted side. She’s pretty much the reason Daredevil went dark in the first place, so it makes sense that she’s not quite comfortable with this take.

Before they can begin their chat, Matt notices that the Tenement Building that was burned down is being guarded by Constrictor and Mamba, two members of the Serpent Society, which seems to now be working with the Sons Of The Serpent, which is cool, I do get those two groups mixed up at times, so making them actually linked makes a lot of sense. Plus, it means cool new costumes for both of them. Daredevil and Elektra deal with these two villains fairly easily (although Constrictor does get good choke on DD for a while), but the really important scene here is the advice Elektra gives to Matt, basically, that he’s looking at this with too much of a ‘black and white’ attitude, and that he needs to do something from a direction the Serpents will never expect.

Which is what he does. Matt arrives at the Trial with Kirsten, and rather than do opening remarks, they move straight on to witness testimony, where Kirsten calls out Matt Murdock as the first witness, and then, when after swearing on The Bible, he is asked his name. His reply… ‘My name is Daredevil’, which is a pretty fucking great way to end this issue. Whilst the secret origin has been out there for years now, this is the first time Matt has ever actually admitted it. It’s a big change, and a great set-up for what should be an amazing final issue.

This series has been great since the off, and it’s going out with a bang. Samnee’s art was excellent as ever, and I really liked his take on Elektra, she was bad-ass.

Advertisement

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Re: Daredevil #35 (Sooner work in roadkill removal Spoilers)

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:39 pm

Punchy wrote:The penultimate issue of this volume of Daredevil is just as great as the previous 34 issues, if not better. It’s still not clear just how Mark Waid and Christopher Samnee are going to move Matt Murdock from coast to coast, but I can’t wait to see how they do, that ending especially… hoo boy.

Waid picks things up right from #34’s shocking cliffhanger, with Matt receiving a call from the hospital telling him that something’s up with Foggy. Is he dead? Nope, in fact, this is all a set up from the Sons Of The Serpent, who want to have a word with our hero. They’ve had a Serpent Doctor inject Foggy with a radical new treatment that isn’t legal yet, although it is working, and they say they want to keep Foggy alive, and more than that, they have a job offer for Matt. Yes, that’s right, they want Matt to defend one of them in court. Matt of course refuses the case, which belongs to the son of one of these chief Serpents, who is accused of murder and arson when the Serpents burned down a tenement building. Whilst this attack was the Serpents’ doing, this particular man wasn’t there, and Matt can tell that his father is telling the truth, that he is innocent of this crime at least.

Matt still refuses, but then The Serpents reveal that they don’t just know he’s Daredevil like everyone else, but that they have thoroughly researched him and have documented proof that he is. If Matt doesn’t agree to defend this guy, they’ll reveal this evidence to the world, ruin his life, get him disbarred, close his firm and, perhaps most importantly of all right now for Matt, cause Foggy to lose his health insurance and die. Waid really has put Matt in an impossible situation here, if he says yes, he’s protecting himself and saving Foggy, and saving an ‘innocent’ man, but he’s helping the Serpents and letting himself be blackmailed. If he says no, he’s not letting the Serpents win, but he is ruining his life and effectively killing his best friend.

His solution is to clear his head by talking to and sparring with Elektra, and man, it was cool to see her show up again. I may be wrong about this, but I don’t think she’s appeared in any of Waid’s run so far, which is crazy considering how important she is to the character as a whole. I liked how Waid wrote her, and how she was slightly off-put by Matt’s new, light-hearted side. She’s pretty much the reason Daredevil went dark in the first place, so it makes sense that she’s not quite comfortable with this take.

Before they can begin their chat, Matt notices that the Tenement Building that was burned down is being guarded by Constrictor and Mamba, two members of the Serpent Society, which seems to now be working with the Sons Of The Serpent, which is cool, I do get those two groups mixed up at times, so making them actually linked makes a lot of sense. Plus, it means cool new costumes for both of them. Daredevil and Elektra deal with these two villains fairly easily (although Constrictor does get good choke on DD for a while), but the really important scene here is the advice Elektra gives to Matt, basically, that he’s looking at this with too much of a ‘black and white’ attitude, and that he needs to do something from a direction the Serpents will never expect.

Which is what he does. Matt arrives at the Trial with Kirsten, and rather than do opening remarks, they move straight on to witness testimony, where Kirsten calls out Matt Murdock as the first witness, and then, when after swearing on The Bible, he is asked his name. His reply… ‘My name is Daredevil’, which is a pretty fucking great way to end this issue. Whilst the secret origin has been out there for years now, this is the first time Matt has ever actually admitted it. It’s a big change, and a great set-up for what should be an amazing final issue.

This series has been great since the off, and it’s going out with a bang. Samnee’s art was excellent as ever, and I really liked his take on Elektra, she was bad-ass.

Everything Punchy said!

Great issue. It was also nice to see a portrayal of the DD/Elektra relationship that doesn't have Matt pining after his lost love. It was awesome to see them respect each other as equals and just generally have an upbeat adventure!

Maybe this bodes well for the upcoming Elektra series. Did Marvel say yet who'll be replacing Wells?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:49 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
Everything Punchy said!

Great issue. It was also nice to see a portrayal of the DD/Elektra relationship that doesn't have Matt pining after his lost love. It was awesome to see them respect each other as equals and just generally have an upbeat adventure!

Maybe this bodes well for the upcoming Elektra series. Did Marvel say yet who'll be replacing Wells?

The guy who co-wrote Batwoman with JH Williams.

Blackman is his name I think?

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Punchy wrote:
The guy who co-wrote Batwoman with JH Williams.

Blackman is his name I think?

Do we know if he's any good? I thought the first HC of the New 52 Batwoman moved at a snail's pace, but it's difficult to find out who is to blame for crappy comics (the writers? the editors? Harras?) at New 52 DC.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:34 pm

Do we know if he's any good? I thought the first HC of the New 52 Batwoman moved at a snail's pace, but it's difficult to find out who is to blame for crappy comics (the writers? the editors? Harras?) at New 52 DC.

Never read anything by him, people who like Batwoman say it's very good though.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 319 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:53 am

Currently, my favorite Marvel book.

It's really that awesome.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:03 am

GOSD wrote:Currently, my favorite Marvel book.

It's really that awesome.

Will you be buying the infinite comic as well? I'm on the fence about spending $12+ a month for a format I don't like, but Waid's Daredevil has been SO good

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 555 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:34 am

Random Thoughts on this issue...

How the hell did the Sons of the Serpents get so big and so powerful? Now they've infiltrated our hospitals as well as our courts (which makes no sense when they can go to extremes to over rig one trial a few issues ago with a courthouse full of their of lawyers, judges and bailiffs but then in this issue... nuttin').

Elektra - meh. Never cared for her after her resurrection.

When did the Constrictor turn? Last I remember of him he was siding with the angels more than the demons (Slott's all too short The Thing book).

Hooray for the last panel! As someone who never cared for this silly "I'm not Daredevil even though I am" shtick. Hopefully next issue will finally end it! :smt026

Boo for the last panel! Only because it was easily telegraphed earlier in the book.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:59 am

Amoebas wrote:When did the Constrictor turn? Last I remember of him he was siding with the angels more than the demons (Slott's all too short The Thing book).

IIRC it was towards the end of Avengers: The Initiative, during Siege. He was hit by some Asgardian rubble, and when he woke up he saw his girlfriend Diamondback fighting alongside Cap and assumed they had got together. Angry at this, he joined up with Taskmaster and fled the fight and became a villain again, moving to that Masters Of Evil country in Remender's Secret Avengers.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 319 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Will you be buying the infinite comic as well? I'm on the fence about spending $12+ a month for a format I don't like, but Waid's Daredevil has been SO good

No, I'm not into digital comics.

I like viewing them from time to time but my passion is in the actual comic.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 425 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Amoebas wrote:How the hell did the Sons of the Serpents get so big and so powerful? Now they've infiltrated our hospitals as well as our courts (which makes no sense when they can go to extremes to over rig one trial a few issues ago with a courthouse full of their of lawyers, judges and bailiffs but then in this issue... nuttin').

This bothered me at first too, but then I though, how do James Bond's villains get their tech, how do other organizations, Hydra, AIM, etc.. in the MU build their bases without anyone noticing. The answer is that they just do. I stopped worrying at that point.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand