Advertisement

Justice League Of America #11 (Crap-Man Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Justice League Of America #11 (Crap-Man Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:02 am

Matt Kindt continues to delve into the characters and back-story of Martian Manhunter and Stargirl, and whilst this issue is perfectly decent, at this point I’m more than ready for it to become Justice League United and for Jeff Lemire to come in and pour maple syrup over everything.

The issue begins with Manhunter getting his ass kicked by Clayface, but before long, Stargirl returns to save him, which is a cool moment. I know it’s mollified by the fact that Manhunter has lost some of his powers, but still, one of the most powerful characters in the DC Universe needed Stargirl to save him, and she did so in style. During Johns’ run on this book, Stargirl was just kind of there, and that was by design, she as a PR exercise for Amanda Waller, but now, Kindt is showing us the real hero inside, and she is showing just why she became such a fan-favourite in the JSA days before the New 52.

Stargirl and Manhunter re-team, although Stargirl still plans to split up to protect her family, rather than hunt for the Firestorm prison. Luckily, it looks like Firestorm is in roughly the same direction as the rest of the Whitmores, so they can stick together for now, and stop to save Denver from a giant robot. Throughout this issue, Stargirl continues to have flashbacks to her early days of superheroing, including a memory she’s tried to suppress. I just hope Kindt isn’t going where it looks like it’s going and having Stargirl be raped as part of her origin, which is just lame and terrible and probably offensive and just unnecessary. There’s a reason nobody ever mentions that aspect of Kate Bishop’s origin anymore.

Hopefully it’s not the case, and it does look like she and J’Onn are still being manipulated by the Society, as Despero is following them. The issue ends with Despero attacking our heroes, slams Manhunter to the ground, and then proceeds to drown Stargirl. It’s obvious that they aren’t dead, but I am interested to see what Despero is up to here. He seemed to be the one in control of the giant robot.

The art from Tom Derenick and Eddy Barrows was once again strong, I do like that they have similar styles, and Barrows in particular draws a great Clayface. This title is still worth reading, but I do feel like they are missing a trick in not having it be more vital to the overall Forever Evil storyline. I suppose it is worth the time to really develop Stargirl and Martian Manhunter as characters, but it’s more worth it to do so whilst making the crossover more interesting too.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 378 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Justice League Of America #11 (Crap-Man Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:29 pm

I got a little tired over the last two issues of Stargirl's constant 'I have to my family and ignore everything else' only to have her do the exact opposite of that (which she was going to do anyway which made her 'dilemma' unappealing in the first place.

I was glad to see that a trip cross country took days. Too many times it seems it's just so easy to go from point A to B in a heartbeat in comics. Having this trip take time is refreshing (and allows for the needed character development for Courtney and the MUCH needed character updating J'Onn's needed since the 52 started).

And the art... Derenick has always had a nice Buscemaesque style that has continued to grow for the better over the years. Great stuff from him and Barrows.

And yes, it's time this book progressed the Forever Evil story. JLDark/Constantine/Phantom Stranger/Pandora have all done s decent side story in the midst of this, you'd think JLA would too.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 336 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Punchy wrote:but now, Kindt is showing us the real hero inside, and she is showing just why she became such a fan-favourite in the JSA days before the New 52.

Probably the best line in this issue is: "For the first time since Courtney joined the team I see something. I don't see a girl trying to be grown up, trying to belong. I'm seeing a woman who's earned her place."

Throughout this issue, Stargirl continues to have flashbacks to her early days of superheroing, including a memory she’s tried to suppress. I just hope Kindt isn’t going where it looks like it’s going and having Stargirl be raped as part of her origin, which is just lame and terrible and probably offensive and just unnecessary. There’s a reason nobody ever mentions that aspect of Kate Bishop’s origin anymore.

I agree. I hope that memory is something else.

The issue ends with Despero attacking our heroes, slams Manhunter to the ground, and then proceeds to drown Stargirl. It’s obvious that they aren’t dead, but I am interested to see what Despero is up to here. He seemed to be the one in control of the giant robot.

That was a weird scene. And even more strange was Stargirl's thought "It's like .. like we're walking into one trap after another." Then Despero's comment that "They are resisting. They are breaking away from the template".
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 378 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:22 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Probably the best line in this issue is: "For the first time since Courtney joined the team I see something. I don't see a girl trying to be grown up, trying to belong. I'm seeing a woman who's earned her place."

I agree. I hope that memory is something else.

That was a weird scene. And even more strange was Stargirl's thought "It's like .. like we're walking into one trap after another." Then Despero's comment that "They are resisting. They are breaking away from the template".

Great line but it would have worked better if Courtney wasn't crying at the time. Odd timing.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand