Advertisement

Holy Reparations, Batman: Campaign to Recognize Bill Finger

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

SporkBot
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 158 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Holy Reparations, Batman: Campaign to Recognize Bill Finger

Postby SporkBot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:27 pm

Some of you may not know who he is, so I'll give you the short version: Bill Finger co-created Batman.

Look, he's got a baseball cap on. That's proof enough recreated Batman, right?[size]

Too short?

Okay, so when Bob Kane conceived of a bat-themed vigilante (via inspiration from Leonardo da Vinci and Douglas Fairbanks as Zorro), one initial concept for the look was basically a guy in a red suit, a cape and a domino mask. I think another concept may've involved a tuxedo. It leads one to wonder if the character would have lasted as long as he has.

[size=85]"This bright red costume and domino mask just isn't effective for me. But a teenaged sidekick, preferably an orphan..."

Bill Finger worked with Bob to make Batman look like a bat (shocking, no?), as well as contributing elements to Bruce Wayne, Catwoman, and other characters. Additionally, the man coined the phrase "Dark Knight" in the very first Batman #1 (anyone that goes to check their New52 Batman #1 will report to me immediately for reeducation via dirt-shovel-to-face curriculum). In his autobiography "Batman and Me", Bob Kane himself laments how Finger wasn't getting the recognition for his contributions. And this from a shameless self-promoter that claimed to have performed movie-style stunts in gang-fights as a kid, on top of other exaggerations.

"Hi kids! I created Batman and may have slept with Marilyn Monroe!"[size]

So this guy, Marc Tyler Nobleman, is campaigning for ol' Bill to get recognized for his contributions. According to an interview with The Washington Post, his goal right now is get a Google Doodle set up for this February 8th, which would be Bill's 100th birthday, on top of the 75th year of Batman and 40 years since Finger died.

As an...enthusiast of Batman (he said with thousands of comics and an entire corner devoted to the Caped Crusader), I fully support this effort. So if a man like Bob Kane, prone to exaggeration and constantly telling people he created Batman, is willing to admit it, then I don't see why anyone else can't do the same by spreading the word. He did so much for Batman, but his name has yet to be printed in the "created by" box alongside Kane. And that hardly seems right.

[size=85]"Created by" credit, memorial picture in the back of a 70's comic book...same thing, right?

Pictures copyright other people, not me.

Advertisement

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Re: Holy Reparations, Batman: Campaign to Recognize Bill Fin

Postby achilles » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:58 pm

I've always thought he should get a "created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger" credit in every Batman thing put out. He meets my test of a co-creator in spades.

It would be classy of DC to start to do so, which is of course why they never will.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

SporkBot
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 158 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Re: Holy Reparations, Batman: Campaign to Recognize Bill Fin

Postby SporkBot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:51 am

Anyone interested in getting a Google Doodle done in Bill Finger's honor should send their requests to proposals@google.com

I just did. Shouldn't YOU?

Yes. Yes you should.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand