Advertisement

Frogman Ungrounded @Kickstarter

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 319 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 am

It was only recently that I came into contact with Kickstarter and was instantly in love with the concept. People of good ideas and low budgets reach out to the community in order to fund their projects. Those who back such projects get some kind of reward.

Today I found these two and had to share them. Hope Frogman and Ungrounded get their funding so the world is able to read their work.

Kickstarter projects
Frogman

Frogman

FROGMAN is a not-so-super superhero who kicks, punches and shags his way through his rubbish life, sort of fighting crime and sort of saving the day. It’s got action, romance, jokes, puns, nerd-references and scenes of hardcore sex and violence. What more could you want?

The energy of the authors alone made me like this project instantly.  Matt Fitch and Mark Lewis wrote and drawn Frogman, a hero by night and a fast food restaurant manager by day. This looks like a funny spoof on Superhero books.

Their Kickstarter project is for printing the book. The book already exists in digital form, so there is very little risk in this.

Frogman's Kickstarter project

Ungrounded

UNGROUNDED: An Expansive Comic Book

UNGROUNDED is a profoundly weird but still all ages appropriate comic book I created, originally with my friend Jim Ritchey III (THE GREEN LLAMA) in mind as the artist, adapted from the pieces of a pitch I hired Lou Manna (THE PHANTOM) to do sample pages for back in 2006. Finding the right artist was a process that took time, energy, and timing and it was only through a stroke of luck that I discovered the kinetic and vibrant work of Eryck Webb.

Ungrounded feels like a throwback at the golden age of superhero comics. Weird superpowers, retro sci-fi and a flying Polar Bear is what got me. Well that and Eryck Webb's art that its amazing. Ungrounded was created by Patrick Gerard, Eryck Webb and Jim Ritchey III.

Ungrounded's Kickstarter project

Share the word.

For those not familiar with Kickstarter it is a great way of helping projects get off the ground, in their words:

Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects. Everything from films, games, and music to art, design, and technology. Kickstarter is full of ambitious, innovative, and imaginative projects that are brought to life through the direct support of others.

Follow Reading Graphic Novels on Facebook and Twitter.

Originally Published at Reading Graphic Novels http://readinggraphicnovels.blogspot.com/2013/01/frogman-ungrounded-kickstarter.html

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Frogman Ungrounded @Kickstarter

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:10 am

This is one of those times when a byline would be quite helpful, especially since the author of the article is writing to make personal recommendations to the reader.

"Who the Hell are you?" is the obvious question that should be answered at the start of such an editorial. I shouldn't have to click several links to see that's who has written the article, and a lot of people won't bother to. More people would be interested from the start if it was clear Arion was the author, not LOLtron or readinggraphicnovels.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:32 am

Victorian Squid wrote:This is one of those times when a byline would be quite helpful, especially since the author of the article is writing to make personal recommendations to the reader.

"Who the Hell are you?" is the obvious question that should be answered at the start of such an editorial. I shouldn't have to click several links to see that's who has written the article, and a lot of people won't bother to. More people would be interested from the start if it was clear Arion was the author, not LOLtron or readinggraphicnovels.

I see your point.

This article was published in my blog. The OH is kind enough to syndicate it here. However in my blog I use my real name and when the articles are integrated they appeared with my name and not Covalesky. That's probably why you didn't recognize who the hell I was.

I don't know if the OH can introduce bylines in articles from feeds, but Jude probably knows.

Thanks for the feedback Squid, and you can keep crediting Arion if you like :)

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:39 am

covalesky wrote:
I see your point.

This article was published in my blog. The OH is kind enough to syndicate it here. However in my blog I use my real name and when the articles are integrated they appeared with my name and not Covalesky. That's probably why you didn't recognize who the hell I was.

I don't know if the OH can introduce bylines in articles from feeds, but Jude probably knows.

Thanks for the feedback Squid, and you can keep crediting Arion if you like :)

Ooops! See, I was still confused even after the links. :oops: (Plus it didn't seem like Arion's level of verbosity. I'm in the middle of moving offices and I'm all disorganized in every way this morning! I was probably hyperventilating from stress earlier, don't mind me.)

But still, if I knew it was Covalesky writing about some kickstarter projects he was recommending, I'd again be much more interested than if I thought it was just some LOLtron promotion article some anonymous person had contributed.

Just give yourself credit, was all I meant!

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:45 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
Ooops! See, I was still confused even after the links. :oops: (Plus it didn't seem like Arion's level of verbosity. I'm in the middle of moving offices and I'm all disorganized in every way this morning!)

But still, if I knew it was Covalesky writing about some kickstarter projects he was recommending, I'd again be much more interested than if I thought it was just some LOLtron promotion article some anonymous person had contributed.

Just give yourself credit, was all I meant!

No problem. I agree with you. It might be confusing. I've PMed Jude about this to see if he has any suggestion on how to improve this matter.

Arion does talk/write better than me, but I do try :)

Lets see what Jude has to say. I don't believe I can improve this on my side, at least I'm not seeing how. I'm sure he will provide a better insight.

BTW, Frogman has ended successively. If all goes according to plan I'll get my digital copy soon :)

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1046 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 am

I could maybe get LOLtron to include the staff bio at the bottom of LOLtron articles. Would that work?

That reminds me though, Covalesky, you don't have one. Can you send me a paragraph for that? Look at mine for reference on length (appears at the bottom of all my articles on the front page).

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:29 am

covalesky wrote:
No problem. I agree with you. It might be confusing. I've PMed Jude about this to see if he has any suggestion on how to improve this matter.

Arion does talk/write better than me, but I do try :)

Lets see what Jude has to say. I don't believe I can improve this on my side, at least I'm not seeing how. I'm sure he will provide a better insight.

BTW, Frogman has ended successively. If all goes according to plan I'll get my digital copy soon :)

Frogman's over already? I liked the Ditko homages.

And I said Arion was more verbose--all that meant was he uses more words than you to convey something, you're both good writers!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:33 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I could maybe get LOLtron to include the staff bio at the bottom of LOLtron articles. Would that work?

That reminds me though, Covalesky, you don't have one. Can you send me a paragraph for that? Look at mine for reference on length (appears at the bottom of all my articles on the front page).

Now know who readinggraphicnovels is, but yeah if someone is contributing an op-ed piece as the reader I want at least a name to attach to it. By putting Covalesky on a kickstarter editorial like that, it gives the recommendation much more credibility to me. I might skip over a recommendation by Anonymous, but I know C has great taste in non-mainstream comics and would automatically take a closer look at whatever project he was highlighting.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:34 am

Victorian Squid wrote:Frogman's over already? I liked the Ditko homages.

Yes, It only had a few hour left when I saw it. Decided to include it in the article for anyone that wanted a last minute pledge.

I'm going to review it when I get it. Keep and eye out if you'd like :)

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:That reminds me though, Covalesky, you don't have one. Can you send me a paragraph for that? Look at mine for reference on length (appears at the bottom of all my articles on the front page).

I'll get that to you latter today.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum