Advertisement

Royal Reviews: Zatanna #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts

Royal Reviews: Zatanna #1

Postby LOLtron » Fri May 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Image Royal Nonesuch reviews the new Zatanna #1, published by DC Comics!

Credits & Solicit Info:
Written by PAUL DINI • Art by STEPHANE ROUX and KARL STORY • Cover by STEPHANE ROUX • Variant cover by BRIAN BOLLAND

At last – the Mistress of Magic in her own ongoing series! Zatanna Zatara has long made her home in San Francisco, but right under her nose a sinister threat has developed – a crime boss who dominates the criminal underworld with the dark powers of the magical underworld! The terrifying Brother Night is making his play for San Fran, and the police force – including hunky detective Dale Colton – turn to Zee for help. But Brother Night is a whole new kind of criminal and if Zatanna thinks she can backwards-talk him down, then she's in over her top-hatted head! Superstar writer Paul Dini (BATMAN: MAD LOVE) is paired with the gorgeous art of Stephane Roux (BIRDS OF PREY), making his anticipated DC debut on interior art! There's only one thing to say – T'NOD SSIM TI!
DC Universe 32pg. Color $2.99 US
On Sale May 19, 2010

Review:
Paul Dini has quietly been turning in a lot of fun, solid comic books at DC for a few years no, so it was really only a matter of time before he got to launching a new ongoing title for one of his declared favorite characters, Zatanna. 

For her part, Zatanna had some baggage foisted upon her in 2004's IDENTITY CRISIS limited series, where her part in the forcible behavior modification of several villains (and Batman) was retconned into the history of the Justice League.  It was a dark place to take the character, and it never really fit with everything else readers knew and felt about her.  ZATANNA #1 serves to inform readers that six years is enough time to move in comics, and that's just what the superhero magician sets out to do when the San Francisco police department enlists her aid to investigate out an obviously magic-based mass murder. 

Zatanna's design was always fun since it brings to mind simple trickery and sleight-of-hand rather than actual sorcery, but we get to see in this issue just how powerful she is.  However, it seems that her powers slightly outpace artist Stephane Roux, who after years of providing covers for DC finally gets a shot at interiors.  Roux' pencils are competent enough (if hewing a bit towards the cheesecake--does Zatanna's cup size actually increase when she gets into costume?), but there are some trouble spots where his static storytelling does not do the fast pace of Z's powers, or Dini's script, many favors.  Still, this seems more like a case of an artist needing more time to really inhabit the world of a character, since there are some sequences that work very well. 

If the art is solid yet unspectacular, then the same can be said of Dini's story, which is your basic first-issue setup.  The real draw here is the main character, who come across as truly charming and personable.  This is a good showcase not only for Zatanna's powers, but for the woman herself.  Unconstrained from the weight of crossover and mega-event stories, ZATANNA #1 is able to breathe and set forth what the series as a whole will be about.  It may not be a remarkable debut issue, but it is a solid one that will please fans of the character, and may interest newcomers.    

Last edited by LOLtron on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri May 21, 2010 1:21 pm

Almost bought this, took a look at it in the shop. It seemed like a solid debut issue that would appeal to fans of the character but I think it's gonna have to do more than that to survive in this day and age.

If it seems like it's going somewhere interesting I'll trade-wait it.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri May 21, 2010 3:03 pm

God, this comic was great.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri May 21, 2010 8:22 pm

I Really enjoyed the issue. I'm glad dc is doing something mystical.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Fri May 21, 2010 10:08 pm

I'm a zatana newb and i thought this was solid. The art was decent enough and the story held its own. Not sure if it's all that appealing to mainstream but i wish it good luck for those of you that love the character.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Fri May 21, 2010 10:14 pm

I ordered this mainly because of Paul Dini. I'm not really that much of a Zatanna fan.

Should be getting it next Friday.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Fri May 21, 2010 10:24 pm

This is getting added to my pull list next week. I loved the first issue and can't wait to read more.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Fri May 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Why are the images still not showing up?

Freakin' LOLtron. :roll:
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Sat May 22, 2010 7:27 am

I've been calling for Zee to get her own book for years and was actually a little apprehensive about this one, but its was very good and I look forward to a lot more.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Sat May 22, 2010 7:34 am

My question is how long do you think it will last. Can you see this last 100 issues? I've yet to see a Dini book get canceled so I have high hopes that this one stays around for a long time.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Sat May 22, 2010 7:49 am

There are a lot of people who like Zatanna, even if they don't think she's up to her own book. As long as its good, there are people who will buy it. Enough to keep it going for a long time. (Back in 1988, who thought Hellblazer would be the last man standing out of all Vertigo's initial releases, let alone that it would still be going strong 22 years later?)

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Sat May 22, 2010 8:02 am

David Bird wrote:There are a lot of people who like Zatanna, even if they don't think she's up to her own book. As long as its good, there are people who will buy it. Enough to keep it going for a long time. (Back in 1988, who thought Hellblazer would be the last man standing out of all Vertigo's initial releases, let alone that it would still be going strong 22 years later?)

Good point on Hellblazer. I've always taken that something like that title has a more older audience members plus looking at all the titles this is the only one where D.C. has let on different creative teams. When original crators on most vertigo books leave the title said title ends.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 22, 2010 8:24 am

I was reading a review of something on another site, and the reviewer mentioned that in his opinion DC had transformed Zatanna & Black Canary into "bitches of the lowest order". But he didn't give any reason for that, is it the mind-wiping incident, I wonder?

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Sat May 22, 2010 8:46 am

Spicy Dick wrote:I was reading a review of something on another site, and the reviewer mentioned that in his opinion DC had transformed Zatanna & Black Canary into "bitches of the lowest order". But he didn't give any reason for that, is it the mind-wiping incident, I wonder?

I think once they married Black Canary the writers made her really a nagging wife to Ollie, intentional or not, but she was not handled right post marriage. With her coming back to Birds of Prey we may get the stronger, confident Black Canery.

Where as Zatanna I'd agree it could be the mind-wiping but there have been some really good issue post identity crisis where she appeared in Batman, ok Dini written issue who has a mad-love for the character, where she has turned into a quality character.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon May 24, 2010 4:38 pm

I didn't mind this, but I didn't find it mind blowing. Zatanna -- street level magic user in the middle of a gang war, this isn't really what I want to see from this character. I did like it enough that I'll continue getting it.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand