Advertisement

Chappy’s Blue Plate Specials — 7/23/08 — Le Spoils

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 233 posts

Chappy’s Blue Plate Specials — 7/23/08 — Le Spoils

Postby LOLtron » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:51 am

This week’s lunchtime haul is 4 books, as they read pretty quick today. On to the first course:Appetizer:Robin 175 — this book was weird for me; I love Robin; I love Spoiler; I love Nicieza and Joe Bennett; and I’m enjoying R.I.P. almost in spite of myself…but this issue was weak for me; in [...]
This week’s lunchtime haul is 4 books, as they read pretty quick today. On to the first course:

Appetizer:
ImageRobin 175 — this book was weird for me; I love Robin; I love Spoiler; I love Nicieza and Joe Bennett; and I’m enjoying R.I.P. almost in spite of myself…but this issue was weak for me; in a nutshell, Tim has Bruce’s black casebook and thinks Bats has gone insane (or moreso than usual), and is trying to track him down; he does so by reliving some flashbacks to 52 when he and Dick were operating across the globe while Bruce locked himself in a cave (ostensbly to show some of the hard lessons Tim had to learn), beating up some thugs, making a deal with Sgt. Harper of the GCPD, playing his plans real close to the vest around Stephanie, and making a deal with the Penguin (who looks more like the Burton version, a savage, than the refined Oswald Cobblepot of the comics…i didn’t care for Bennett’s rendition); the best bits were the Tim/Steph interactions and the revelation at the end that Tim may want Bruce to be crazy, suggesting maybe he does entertain thoughts of taking up the mantle someday; overall, though, not that great

ImageSalad:
Trinity 8 — I’m still enjoying this book very much, but this issue felt like a salad today: just kinda there for the meal, and not real filling; Morgaine and Enigma get Despero (who holds Krona’s cosmic egg) to come along, Bruce throws a fundraiser, Supes does his thing across the globe, and Wonder Woman and Etta go shopping (probably the most fun bit of the issue) while Bruce has Oracle working on the crime ring; at the end, Bruce is attacked mid-party by several of morgaine’s howlers; in the back, we get a better look at the evil Trinity’s actual plans, and more hints as to Enigma’s true ID (all signs point to either Riddler or Two-Face, but for some reason I think both are red herrings); great art and characterization, but real light on story this week; liked it

ImageMain Course:
JLA 23 — basically one big fight scene as the JLA pretty much get it handed to them by Amazo, with some subplot work thrown in hinting at who’s behind Vixen’s troubles (DC’s version of Anansi, the trickster god, as we’ve seen from future solicits); I’m a big Amazo mark, I’m actually a fan of Benes’s art when he semi-reins it in, and I think McDuffie’s finally being allowed to show he has a good grasp on this team’s varied personalities and abilities; really liked it

Dessert:
ImageBrave & the Bold 15 — seriously, if I ran DC, Mark Waid would write every book; nobody, and I mean nobody “gets” these characters better than he does, from their distinct voices to their histories to their interactions with one another (and other DCU characters), he just nails everybody; last issue’s cliffhanger was revealed to be the longshot ruse i suspected, and Deadman goes looking for Batman for help, but finding Nightwing instead; playing on the level of trust that every other hero has for him (good on you, Waid, for realizing that), Nightwing bluffs the rest of the DCU’s heroes to another dimension to orevent the shadow/ghost assassins from being able to co-opt them, and he and Deadman and Hawkman storm the city of Nanda Parbat, rescue Green Arrow and Rama Kushna, and thwart the bad guys; truthfully, Hawkman is really just along for the ride this issue, as it’s pretty much Nightwing’s show from start to finish, and Waid and Kolins (whose art fans seem to either love or hate…mark me down in the “love” camp) do not disappoint; lots of action, lots of humor (especially Ollie, Boston, and Dick), a fun story, great character interaction…the only bad thing i can say about this issue is that it reminds me that Waid would probably give a limb to write Nightwing, and instead of DC being smart and letting him, we fans instead had to sit through 5 years of Grayson & Jones. If you just want a fun standalone superhero comic, you can’t go wrong here; absolutely loved it

Discuss

Posted originally: 2008-07-23 13:51:23

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand