Advertisement

Cleaning the Plate for 3/25/09 - Spoilers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 163 posts

Cleaning the Plate for 3/25/09 - Spoilers

Postby LOLtron » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:35 am

Same price but with 20% more reviews!
X-Infernus #4 of 4Image

So the story of Illyana Rasputin turns another corner as this mini-series wraps up. If you’re a fan of Magic (or the old New Mutants), you probably enjoyed this story. I wasn’t a huge fan of either, and I did. In typical X-style, though, no story is completely finished. It concludes as if it were but another chapter in the ongoing saga of both Illyana and the newest X-Men, Pixie. However, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Wolverine all get their moment to shine. Nightcrawler’s in particular is well done. I’m glad I read this. It’s nice to see Illyana back and for her story to finally move forward. My Score: B

Wonder Woman #30

And the drama continues! Genocide beats and tortures Etta Candy. Wonder Woman gets her hands on Cheetah and for a second we actually wonder if we are going to see a repeat of “The Maxwell Lord Special”. Zeus brings to life his own Princess Diana in the form of Achilles. And we learn who created the brutal Genocide to begin with. Not since the days of Rucka have I enjoyed Wonder Woman this much. Simone is putting her all into it and the art by Lopresti is beautiful in its support. If you’re not reading this title, I highly recommend it when it comes out in trade. I may actually be buying both. My Score: A 

ImageBatman Battle for the Cowl: Commissioner Gordon #1

So as the battle for the cowl begins, we readers get the chance to see how it is affecting some of the supporting cast; starting with James Gordon. Gotham City is in chaos and the GCPD is at its wits end; James Gordon is obviously feeling the effects. But when Jim is kidnapped by Mr. Freeze and realizes that there is no Batman to save him, he gets off his half frozen butt and actually saves the day. This is a nice character piece, actually. Although it probably could have been a back up story for one of the other books, it wasn’t really a bad story. Still, I can’t help but thinking that when the smoke really clears on this huge arc, Bruce will be back and it will all feel like it was in vain. My Score: C+

The New Avengers #51

The search for the new Sorcerer Supreme begins and wow am I as under whelmed with this, as I have been most of the series. I’m really tired of Red Hood being the only villain in this book. It’s a book that takes an entire issue of Avengers sitting around a table to decide who wants to be in command and second in command feels like a bunch of boys in a tree house doing the same thing. And don’t even get me started on Spider-Man revealing his identity... AGAIN... for the first time. My score: D+

ImageX-Force/Cable: Messiah War #1

After months of build up, the Messiah War kicks off – sort of. Actually a good first half of this book is getting people caught up on what’s been going on for the last six to eight months. Kyle and Yost do a decent job of starting things off, but it doesn’t seem to have that big “charge out of the gate” that most events try to deliver. Still, once X-Force meets up with Cable we get some awesome dialogue; especially when Deadpool shows his wacky face. There’s a really nice “say what?” moment to end this prologue and this is really an excellent place to jump on if you are even remotely interested in this story. And I still say that if you want Jean Grey back, odds are good this is where it’s going to happen. My Score: B-

Superman #686

Another comic that is starting a new direction, so if you are at all a fan of Mon-El or Guardian or even Steel, this might be the time to jump on. A World Without Superman begins with a final goodbye of Big Blue. I enjoy Robinson a lot, so I’m looking forward to this series, but this issue is total setup. Good setup, but setup all the same. My Score: B+

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand