Advertisement

The Incredible Hulk movie review

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts

The Incredible Hulk movie review

Postby LOLtron » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:40 am

Movie: The Incredible HulkCast: Edward Norton as Bruce Banner/Hulk, Liv Tyler as Elizabeth “Betty” Ross, Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky/The Abomination, and William Hurt as General “Thunderbolt” RossStudio: Marvel Studios, June 13, 2008Review by L’Indépendant The Incredible Hulk lives up to its name, giving Marvel Studios a 2-for-2 score this year with summer movies. Possible [...]
ImageMovie: The Incredible Hulk
Cast: Edward Norton as Bruce Banner/Hulk, Liv Tyler as Elizabeth “Betty” Ross, Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky/The Abomination, and William Hurt as General “Thunderbolt” Ross
Studio: Marvel Studios, June 13, 2008

Review by L’Indépendant

The Incredible Hulk lives up to its name, giving Marvel Studios a 2-for-2 score this year with summer movies. Possible spoilers ahead.

I profess to only having ever read Bruce Jones’ first 3 or 4 issues of his arc on Incredible Hulk, and not being grabbed by them. And I didn’t see Ang Lee’s Hulk. But after knocking it out of the park with Iron Man earlier this summer, and with a buzz around the easter eggs to be included in this film, I was more than looking forward to seeing this Hulk.

Ed Norton was great. He’s the last person I’d ever think to be in a superhero film, but he’s definitely the first guy I’d want to see play Banner from now on. Liv Tyler is believable as Betty Ross and plays her part as Betty Ross, and William Hurt turns in another great performance to go with his role in History of Violence. Roth is downright evil as Blonsky, and makes for a great villain.
While delving only a little into the origins of Hulk (as the first movie did), this story starts out with Banner hiding in the favelas of Rio, working in a bottling plant to pay the bills while trying to find a way to suppress the monster inside him and to find a cure. He’s off the radar until an unfortunate accident blows his cover, and BAM, the action starts. Complaints about a lack of action in Lee’s Hulk ought to be quelled by this installment/revamp. Norton gets enough face time as Banner to push the story forward, but Hulk is very present in the film (I hope Bryan Singer takes some cues for the next Superman installment). Mix in Roth’s Abomination and an immense battle in NYC and you’ve got a great action movie.
The easter eggs are worth looking for. There’s a cameo in there that might not be easy for people to pick up on if they’re not privy to Hulk lore. And let’s do our best to say that this fits in well with the Marvel Studios universe without giving too much away. Lastly, to save you time: don’t bother staying until the end of the credits, as in Iron Man - there’s nothing added there.

For the love of all that is good and holy, please bring Norton, Tyler and Hurt back in any sequels or tie-ins. And please, let there be a least a couple sequels as good as this movie.

It’s going to be a long wait for another Marvel movie, isn’t it?

Talk about Hulk here.

Posted originally: 2008-07-13 17:40:58

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand