Advertisement

Review: Local #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Review: Local #6

Postby LOLtron » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:54 pm

Local #6Written by Brian WoodIllustrated by Ryan KelleyPublished by Oni PressReview by L’IndépendantSo Megan moves to New York City. Brooklyn, to be specific. She moves in with a woman who wants her to keep the opposite hours. Megan invites her out a couple of times, to no avail, and one night, spots her roommate having [...]
Local #6Image
Written by Brian Wood
Illustrated by Ryan Kelley
Published by Oni Press

Review by L’Indépendant

So Megan moves to New York City. Brooklyn, to be specific. She moves in with a woman who wants her to keep the opposite hours. Megan invites her out a couple of times, to no avail, and one night, spots her roommate having drinks with friends at the same time they ought to have been hanging out together. Animosity ensues.

I don’t know what New York is like. What I’ve seen in movies and TV looks JUST like what Ryan Kelley has drawn. It helps that Brian Wood put him up for a visit so he could be familiar with Wood’s neighborhood. Kelley’s art is fantastic, and I hope we see more of it in the future.

This issue wasn’t as good as some of the issues before. I think Wood hits it on the nail in his commentary in the back when he said that it was different to write this one, because, each issue having to be self-contained, this one relies a tad on the previous issues (but is still accessible as a one-shot).

But, in the context of the previous 5 issues, this ties the story together nicely. I’ve said it before, if you’re not reading this series, you need to be, because from its emphasis on localities to the soundtracks in the back of the issue (which will NOT be included in the trade…so get the floppies), it’s stellar every time, and is my monthly “save the best for last” read.

What was the best part of my reading issue? Finally having in my music collection a song from both Ryan Kelley’s and Brian Wood’s soundtracks to the issue (their Yeah Yeah Yeah recommendations, et al).

Posted originally: 2006-09-11 00:54:50

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand