Advertisement

Your Top Modern Characters part 72

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts

Your Top Modern Characters part 72

Postby LOLtron » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:57 am

Three characters I already predict chap will hate...

Image129. Agent Brand (29 points)

Year first appeared: 2004

Abigail Brand is a Special Agent of the United States Government and the head of S.W.O.R.D., a subdivision of S.H.I.E.L.D., charged with defending the Earth from extra-terrestrial threats. It was in this capacity that Brand encountered the alien Ord, who was convinced that a mutant from Earth was destined to destroy his planet. In order to avoid an interplanetary war, Brand acquiesced to Ord's plan to avert the destruction of his world by creating a cure for the mutant condition. It has since been learned the mutant prophesied to destroy Breakworld is Colossus; furthermore, statements made by Ord suggest that neutralizing Earth's mutant population is just one step in an as-yet unrevealed plan.

After her involvement in this plan became known to the X-Men Brand faced a board of inquiry to face charges against her conduct. She defended her actions on the grounds that averting interplanetary warfare was a responsibility so great as to justify courses of action that would otherwise be considered immoral or illegal. This defense seems to have convinced the board as she was subsequently seen still in command of S.W.O.R.D.

Despite the antagonistic relationship she and Nick Fury demonstrated toward each other, new S.H.I.E.L.D. director Maria Hill considers her a Nick Fury loyalist. Brand has made no effort to hide her dislike for Hill, and no further contact between the two has been shown.

Image128. Cassandra Nova (29 points)

Year first appeared: 2001

Cassandra Nova is for all intents and purposes a monster. Within all peoples' spirits reside the potential for evil or kindness. While within the womb, Charles Xavier's latent psychic abilities gave birth to a physical evil - a twin sister.

Although yet unborn, Xavier instinctively attempted to protect himself and the world from the evil born of his mind. Weakened by Xavier's attack, the twin was miscarried and expelled from the womb, where it lingered in the sewers gaining strength and taking form into a creature, which would seek vengeance not only upon her brother but all of mutant and human kind.

The mummudrai are usually forced to fight with the mind of their host over a body. However, given the vast potential in Xavier's genome, Cassandra Nova was able to build her own body, mimicking human traits as best she can. Cassandra Nova is able to access the full spectrum of latent mutant functions in Xavier's genome (she seemingly has the powers of Charles Xavier, the ones he could have and the ones he might receive as a result of latent mutation), granting herself vast psionic powers. These powers include telepathy, telekinesis and some kind of phasing ability. She was able to block the considerable telepathic abilities of Charles Xavier, summon some kind of psionic armor, disintegrate the complete tissue of Wolverine's arm and make her body completely intangible to an extent that even allowed her to withstand a direct blast from Cyclops. She has all the powers of the "average" mummudrai as well, which are astral projection and mental possession. Her telepathic capabilities are so advanced that she was able to hide her possession of Charles Xavier's Body over quite some time despite directly interacting with considerable telepaths like Jean Grey, Emma Frost and the Stepford Cuckoos at the same time. Cassandra can also manipulate the DNA and copy to act as a rapid healing factor or to mimic the voice and DNA of others.

First using her DNA copying ability, she mimics Donald Trask III, a relative of Bolivar Trask, so that she can voice command the Sentinels, who obey the Trask family line, to attack Genosha.

Image127. Trauma (29 points)

Year first appeared: 2007

I like this comic. I like the new characters, and I like that there is a comic to introduce these new characters and use the C-listers in the Marvel Universe. As for Trauma, I like him as well. His powers are pretty badass, in my mind. I loved when he turned into a bashed up Janet for Hank Pym. Though, it was the Skrull Pym, so how the hell did that happen? Hmmm. Stupid Skrull Invasion.

I am glad the Secret Initiative is around too, I think they can do many a fun thing with that. Anywho, back to Trauma.

Trauma has the ability to shape-shift into his opponent's worst fear. At first, he could not fully control the power, causing him to become a gigantic version of Armory's fear (a spider). After receiving training from Dani Moonstar, Terrence is now able to "fine-tune" his transformations, and actually use them to calm people, as shown when he became Gyrich's father, who died from Alzheimer's disease, and telling him "you're clean, son". Dani believes Trauma could use this power to become one of the greatest psychiatrists in the world, helping patients to face their fears, one at a time. Terrence's powers do not work on those without emotions (robots, for example), and were eventually ineffective on the Hulk, who declared that he feared nothing. Trauma has even been able to assume the forms of Thor, Abomination, and the Juggernaut. His powers also enable him to duplicate weapons, as demonstrated when he became Thor to battle the Thor-Clone. However, the weapons, being a part of him, cannot leave his hands.

Discuss

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand