Advertisement

Ignored Independents: “De: Tales - Stories from Urban Brazil”

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts

Ignored Independents: “De: Tales - Stories from Urban Brazil”

Postby LOLtron » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:53 pm

De: Tales - Stories from Urban BrazilWritten and Illustrated by Fábio Mason and Gabriel BáPublished by Dark HorseUS$14.95Review by L’IndépendantThis is a wonderful little book from twin brothers from Brazil. Moon and Bá weave together short stories set in the streets of Brazil with striking imagery and clever writing. Each tells a different story, most [...]
ImageDe: Tales - Stories from Urban Brazil
Written and Illustrated by Fábio Mason and Gabriel Bá
Published by Dark Horse
US$14.95

Review by L’Indépendant

This is a wonderful little book from twin brothers from Brazil. Moon and Bá weave together short stories set in the streets of Brazil with striking imagery and clever writing. Each tells a different story, most starring different characters than the last, and each with a different intent and setting. Altogether, the reader feels like they’ve just witnessed a day in Brazil as some sort of bystander. Some stories are fantastic (note: operating on the root word “fantasy”), where Moon and Bá have put themselves in the story, or where a friend comes back from the dead for a party. Others explore relationships between two people, and can either be playful or mysterious, or a little of both.More…

The imagery in the story is amazing. There is a definite difference in the styles of the two brothers, and even from story to story. None of this gets in the way of their storytelling, as each style complements the story really well – much like Teddy Kristiansen’s various styles in “It’s a Bird.” The brothers capture Brazil beautifully, and must have a love for their home country – or if they hate it, it’s too beautiful a country to render ugly.

Fans of Brian Wood’s Demo or Local will love this. Fans of clever little love tales will also love this, as there are a few of those in this book. I’d love to take the opportunity to explore each story, but that would annoy me, and possibly you, because I’d end up spoiling it for you. I hope you read it and enjoy it.

Posted originally: 2006-07-05 02:53:33

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand