Advertisement

Your Top Marvel Villains part 46

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 319 posts

Your Top Marvel Villains part 46

Postby LOLtron » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:38 am

ImageAs we creep closer and closer to the Top 10, we have yet another shocker for ya. Out of nowhere one of these characters, who I thought as some of you did as well, made it out of the One Point Club into Top 20. And do not worry, this character deserves to be here in my opinion. 19. The Mandarin (136 points -2 first place slots)

"He's the boss of a giant dragon in purple fucking underpants. And he has a sense of honor to him. I like that." Image

"It doesn't get much better than Eastern sorcery meets Western science--a timeless trope (that's also one of the readings of Doom vs. Reed) that comes to the fore regularly in the Iron Man series, where that science usually has a 'Dr Frankenstein'/'cautionary tale' ring to it. Even if it's the Mandarin saying that, and then gets summarily beaten"

Never been a fan, then again I never really been a fan of Iron Man until recently, so I guess I never seen what he can do. Only story I have read him in is the Lady Mandarin story that was in X-Men. I know, I know I need to read more, but like I said I am not an Iron Man fan.

Apparently a descendent of Genghis Khan, the man that would become known as the Mandarin was the son of a wealthy Chinese man and a British noblewoman. When both of his parents died soon after his birth, he was adopted by his father's sister. Displaying a scientific aptitude at an early age he used his inheritance for education in various sciences. As an adult he became a high government official renowned throughout China for his administrative brilliance.

With the success of the Communist revolution, the Mandarin lost his wealth, home and government position. Finding a means of restoring himself to power he explored the forbidden "Valley of Spirits," where no one had dared to enter in centuries. Within this inhospitable land he found the remains and starship of the dragon-like Makluan know as Axonn-Karr. Over the next few years the Mandarin studied and mastered Makluan technology, learning how to use the ten rings he found within the starship to attempt world domination.

The Mandarin possess extraordinary martial arts prowess, especially with regards to channeling chi into physical power. By channeling his chi, he is capable of sustaining himself for years without food or water, amping his strength enough to engage in hand to hand combat with Iron Man, and can even amp his martial arts strikes sufficiently to damage Iron Man's armor.

The Mandarin wears ten rings of alien origin with a variety of different powers, which are now imbedded into his spine.

18. Batroc ze Leaper (145 points - 4 first place slots) Image

"Zut alors!!!!!"

Yes. YES!! Or, in honor of Batroc...Oui! OUI!!! Shocked eh? I was big-time. Batroc made the Top 20, color me Blown Away!!!

Batroc trained himself in savate while in ze French Foreign Legion, and he later became a costumed mercenary as ze Leaper. Although originally working alone, he began and continues to often recruit fellow rogues and criminals when a job may require it, forming ze so-called Batroc’s Brigade. His mercenary adventures often led him into criminal activities, and thus he has clashed and continues to clash with many superheroes and costumed crime fighters, notably Captain America. Batroc, while not inherently villainous, is an egotist and often caricature of ze romantic ideal of a "thief."

He once worked with a (as he called it) demon, actually a being from another planet. With him, he fought against Captain America and Spider-Man.

Batroc came into conflict with Captain America when he believed he was dying from ze breakdown of ze Super Soldier serum. Batroc, moved by ze Captain's sense of "honor," declared that he would concede defeat and grant Cap's desire. Cap wished that just one of his former enemies would turn away from his life of crime. Genuinely moved, Batroc declared he would do this. However, Batroc soon returned to his mercenary/criminal activities.

Batroc has no superhuman abilities, but is in peak physical condition in every respect. He is an Olympic-level weightlifter and has extraordinary agility and reflexes. His leg muscles are particularly well developed enabling him to leap great distances with ze equity of an Olympic athlete. He is an expert hand-to-hand combatant and specializes in savate (French-style kickboxing). He is also a skilled military tactician, having formerly been in ze French Foreign Legion.

17. Mystique (155 points - 3 first place slots)

"Damn this woman is mean as hell." Image

"Her and Magneto are probably tied but I give her one up because I'm sure Magneto will get more votes than her. Mystique is a great villain because she is self motivated, the side she is on is her own. She is a constant user. She was the original leader of the Thunderbolts with Freedom Force. Mother to Rogue and Nightcrawler. Past lover of Forge and Wolverine. Plus ties to countless villains. Mystique can show up anytime and anywhere for any reason. And that always makes a good villain. Get Mystique was one of the best stories of 2008."

Little is known of Raven Darkholme, including her real appearance, age or if her stated name is her given name. She has used her metamorphic abilities to assume countless identities including a German baroness and a United States Senator's wife. As a Senator's wife she rose within the ranks of the United States Defense Department, obtaining secret military information and other classified data.

Her relationship to the mutant community has been at times tumultuous. She has been both a member of the team of heroes called X-Factor as well as the founder of an incarnation of terrorist known as the Brotherhood of Mutants. She is the foster-mother of the mutant Rogue, the mother of Nightcrawler as well as two normal human children, a daughter with Senator Brickman named Gloria and a son with the mutant Sabretooth named Graydon.

Graydon Creed, an anti-mutant activist and one-time candidate for the United States Presidency was assassinated during his campaign, most likely by the mutant-hunting android Bastion.

After having her cover blown at the Department of Defense, she has since returned to her subversive practices as the terrorist. From there she has been an X-man, and a Marauder. And out-casted by her own daughter. Gotta love the evil bitch.

Discuss

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand