Advertisement

Tabletop Wisdom: The Germans Scored a Critical Hit

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 322 posts

Tabletop Wisdom: The Germans Scored a Critical Hit

Postby LOLtron » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:32 pm

By Wisdom000Everyone here knows my all consuming love for Cyberpunk 2020, so it should come as no surprise to anyone that I keep up with current events, what little there are, of this nigh abandoned game. Abandoned may not be the proper phrase. What R. Talsorian did (the publishers of Cyberpunk 2020 and many other [...]
By Wisdom000

ImageEveryone here knows my all consuming love for Cyberpunk 2020, so it should come as no surprise to anyone that I keep up with current events, what little there are, of this nigh abandoned game. Abandoned may not be the proper phrase. What R. Talsorian did (the publishers of Cyberpunk 2020 and many other fine games) was release a 3rd edition that switched the game rules to Fuzion and pretty much destroyed the setting so that it no longer even remotely resembles the Cyberpunk that its fan base built the company on.

But there have been slight glimmers of hope for us old dogs who loved 2020. Precis Intermedia released 2020 based paper miniatures that are pretty cool, and Mike Pondsmith (high muckety muck of R.Talsorian) has released brief snippets about the possibility of re-releasing 2020 and and the long awaited Firestorm: Aftershocks. And the composer of the Night City Trax: the official Cyberpunk 2020 soundtrack has been in contact with me recently to let me know that Mike contacted him again for a follow up. But these snippets are few and far between, and all to often just seem like they never go anywhere.

But alas there is a gleaming beacon on the horizon, the only downside is that it’s in German. Games-In, who hold the Dutch rights to publish Cyberpunk 2020, just released their latest printing. On a Cyberpunk dedicated forum I visit they held a contest offering a free copy. Naturally, I won. To do so I had to decipher 7 clues, all in German, then decipher the final clue from the answers to the original. It wasn’t easy, but I did it, and was the only non-Germanic speaker to do so.

Yesterday I received the book, and it is quite simply breathtaking. It’s hard bound, full of new full color art and graphics, and features a new layout that is simply amazing.

In addition to the new art, it also features all the art from both previous editions. It also features all the guns, gadgets, vehicles, cyber, and other doodads from all the source books, similar to the legendary net resource The Cyberpunk 2020 Reference Guide.

Now, I don’t read German at all, but that didn’t matter much to me since all this information I had long ago memorized. But it is unfortunate that the Germans get this new edition, and we get stuck with Cyberpunk V3, which not only changed the setting so drastically that it feels more like Flycly than Cyberpunk, but used photos of custom barbie dolls (not kidding) for artwork.

What would really be nice is a mass movement to put pressure on R.Talsorian to translate and release this German edition here in America. One can dream…

If you do speak German and game, I highly recommend this book. It is a bit pricey but well worth it just for the sheer beauty of it. The new map of Night City alone is enough to take your breath away.

On the Interlock Unlimited front:
Just letting people know that the core rules for Interlock Unlimited are finished, with an expansion for Magic/Psionics/Superpowers coming soon.

The yahoo group that originally served as a playtest platform is now open to the public, and from here out will serve as a discussion forum and collaboration hub for further expansion projects”

You can join, and download the Core Rules in the file section, by heading over to:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Interlock_Unlimited/

Interlock is R. Talsorians core rules system for Cyberpunk, Cyberpunk 2020, Teenagers From Outer Space, Mekton 2 and Mekton Zeta, and Castle Falkenstein. Interlock Unlimited not only fixes all the problems with the Interlock Rules, but is expanded to be a true universal system capable of covering every genre and setting. Interlock Unlimited does what Fuzion attempted.

Fuzion is R.Tals new core system, and is used for a wide variety of games, including Cyberpunk V3, Bubblegum Crisis, Dragonball, Lightspeed, Victoriana, Champions New Millenium, and many others. Being 90 percent Interlock (and 10 percent Hero), Fuzion based games are easily compatible with Interlock Unlimited with minimum conversion required.

Take a look if you will, Interlock Unlimited is an intuitive system that is the perfect blend of realism and fun. It falls squarely in the middle between Gurps ultra-rules-heavy realism and Savage worlds rules minimum good times.

Currently the rules are easily downloadable from the “files” section of the yahoo. Just select the file marked Datafortress 2020 - Interlock Unlimited - Core Rules.

As soon as I can find the time to update Datafortress, those rules and any completed expansions will be hosted there as well.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Discuss

Posted originally: 2008-07-30 22:32:40

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand