Advertisement

Chappy’s Blue Plate Specials - 7/30/2008 - Le Spoils

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts

Chappy’s Blue Plate Specials - 7/30/2008 - Le Spoils

Postby LOLtron » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:16 pm

This week, since I’m so late with these, a full six-course meal for your review/spoiler enjoyment!Appetizer:Reign in Hell 1 — by all rights, this should’ve wowed me; a writer I like, a penciller I love, and characters I REALLY love…but blah; I know this is heresy, but I’ve NEVER been a Sienkiewicz fan, especally [...]

This week, since I’m so late with these, a full six-course meal for your review/spoiler enjoyment!

Appetizer:
ImageReign in Hell 1 — by all rights, this should’ve wowed me; a writer I like, a penciller I love, and characters I REALLY love…but blah; I know this is heresy, but I’ve NEVER been a Sienkiewicz fan, especally as an inker over mismatched, more cartoony pencillers like Derenick…the look of this book turned me off, and Giffen’s script didn’t help; it was reminiscent the 4 Horsemen mini…a good simple plot fouled up by too much meaningless exposition; coolest bits were the last page of the primary story (where certain hellish creatures, inclusing the Creeper, Demon, etc. are “rectuited) and the back-up featuring Dr. Occult and the Dibnys; and if that was the Yellow Peri on the last page (and I think it was), then whoo-hoo! A Chappy’s obscure fave!; on the whole though, unsatisfying

Salad:

ImageCatwoman 81 — another fun if “light” issue of IMO one of DC’s most consistent and underrated books; Selina robs a painting of herself and a cop car just for kicks, takes a job from Calculator to steal (unbeknownst to her) a Hitler original painting and runs afoul of Ubermensch (from Kelly’s JLA run), beats him, “beats Calculator, and is confronted by an unhapppy Bat; fun plot and dialogue, and gorgeous art as usual; crisp

Soup:
ImageGreen Lantern 33 — now THIS is more like it; some quick action in the beginning against Hector hammond, some nice character work with Hal & Sinestro in the middle, and finally a confrontation with Atrocitus at the end, and the usual gorgeous art from Reis (the 2-page spread of the manhunters is most impressive); rich & hearty

Sorbet:
ImageTrinity 9 — one of the better efforts in a book I was already loving; WW and Bats get a bit more of the focus, we meet a new villain named Swashbuckler (who I like at first blush, but am deathly afraid will be annoyingly cheesy in larger doses), Nightwing gets punk’d (but not entirely punked, so I can live with it), some good action, some good supporting characterization, and a bit more mystery; refreshing

Entree:
ImageJSA Annual 1 — fantastic; we see PG make a big splash and receive a hero’s welcome, yet just when we think she’s gone baack home, we meet another PG who shows us our Kara may not be from the Earth-2 universe after all; we also get a great Huntress tale (it’s almost Helena Wayne’s story more than Kara’s), typical fun Johns writing, and Jerry Ordway proving why you never hear the terms “young masters”…the art throughout is just fantastic; exquisite

Dessert:
ImageTeen Titans 61 — i feared cheesiness, but McKeever proved that the Blue & Red is absolutely a fitting successor to the Blue & Gold; Beetle and Kid Devil (who also gets a name and costume change) tackle Shockwave on their own, cut each other mercilessly, and form a time-honored comic book trope: the adversarial best-friendship (see Blue & Gold, Torch & Thing, etc etc); good fill-in art by Rodriguez, and cover-to-cover fun from McKeever; a perfect meal’s end

Discuss

Posted originally: 2008-07-30 22:16:17

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand