Advertisement

Review: Amory Wars #1 & 2

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 200 posts

Review: Amory Wars #1 & 2

Postby LOLtron » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:03 pm

Title: Amory Wars #1 & 2Writer: Claudio SanchezArtist: Gus VasquezPublisher: Evil Ink/Image ComicsThis series is a must-read for any Coheed & Cambria fan, and I’m sure most Coheed fans have already picked up so I won’t state that anymore. Instead, I shall pander to the non-Coheed fans.Amory Wars is a limited series written by Coheed [...]
ImageTitle: Amory Wars #1 & 2
Writer: Claudio Sanchez
Artist: Gus Vasquez
Publisher: Evil Ink/Image Comics

This series is a must-read for any Coheed & Cambria fan, and I’m sure most Coheed fans have already picked up so I won’t state that anymore. Instead, I shall pander to the non-Coheed fans.

Amory Wars is a limited series written by Coheed & Cambria frontman/mastermind Claudio Sanchez. For those who are unfamiliar with Coheed & Cambria’s music, they make progressive and conceptual rock. Their albums are parts of a story, which is what the comic book’s intentions are to do.

The first issue starts by introducing Coheed and Cambria Kilgannon and their lovely suburban family. However, Coheed’s nightmares give a small background to what’s really going on. It then explains the Keywork, the world which the story takes place, and all of the important elements to the Keywork. What is most important to the story is that all of this takes place during the beginning of Coheed & Cambria’s first album “The Second Stage Turbine Blade”. In simple, it does the easy task of explaining the basic premise of Amory Wars and introduces the important characters. It also gives us the beginning plot, which has to do with the truth about Coheed, Cambria and Coheed’s brother Jesse (whom we’ve not met yet).

The narrative of the albums center on Coheed and Cambria’s eldest child Claudio, who in the both the comic and the music is the basic reluctant hero. In the first issue we also learn about Coheed’s secret, and we seem him being manipulated into killing his children.Â

ImageIn the second issue we get just that. Coheed kills his children, except Claudio. This completely reiterates The Second Stage Turbine Blade. I don’t know what it is, but this week all of the comics I bought involved people murdering children…time to find a new hobby. The issue, much like the last ends with a cliffhanger.

My only major complaint at this point is the art. I always thought the art would have a much darker feel to it. While the art does have a dark feel, I don’t think it’s dark enough. I could be comparing them to the sound of the music. There is a kind of cartoonish element to Vasquez’ art. I imagined something more realistic, along the lines of a Phil Jiminez or Ron Garney. I know one of Sanchez’ biggest problems in publishing this series before was finding an artist he thought fit the image. Maybe I just don’t see eye to eye with Claudio or his hair…

I’d recommend the Amory Wars series (so far) to anyone who has interest in sci-fi epics. Sanchez has built his narrative universe on something quite science-fictional, and there is a big science fiction element to both the comic and the music. It also involves a great deal of fantasy, especially when dealing with the Hero’s Journey. It’s that type of story that is very reminiscent of Star Wars (sans Hayden Christiansen yelling a lot). If you like stories in your music then pick up the three available Coheed & Cambria albums, and if you like those, then I’d recommend the Amory Wars. If you can’t get past Claudio Sanchez’ whiny voice, then avoid the Coheed albums and just get Amory Wars.

Discuss

Posted originally: 2007-07-11 22:03:33

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand