Advertisement

Your Top Modern Characters part 104

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 282 posts

Your Top Modern Characters part 104

Postby LOLtron » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:23 am

Three more great, fun characters for ya...

18. Death (152 points - 7 first place slots)

Year first appeared: 1989

"The incarnation of death may be stereotypically gothic but is a cheery person."

"Neil Gaiman's perky, smiley, happy go lucky personification of Finality, she struck a chord in fans everywhere. And, somewhere in my files, I have a copy of her first appearance with a cover sketch by Gaiman himself... "

"Was tragically trendy but everyone loved her anyhow."

Younger sister of Destiny, older sister to Dream, Destruction, Desire, Despair and Delirium. It is said that every living thing encounters death twice in their lifetime. Once when they are born, though no one remembers that meeting with her, and once when they die. Death does not guide the soul of the dead into any particular afterlife, she is merely a gateway into what lies beyond. On page she usually appears as a young woman, stylishly dressed wearing a silver ankh, with pale skin, and an eye of Horus tattoo around her eye. Though like the rest of the Endless, she can appear however she wants or needs. When the universe was young Death was more somber, but she has come to love her job and develop her own quirky upbeat personality beyond what the fear living beings have of her. It is known that she keeps two goldfish and has a floppy hat collection. She is Dream's closest friend and confidant, able to shake him out of self-absorption when necessary. She does not seem to have much of relationship with either her elder brother Destiny, nor her younger siblings.

Twice Death has agreed not to take people. In one instance it was her nephew, Orpheus, so that he could descend into Hades and bring back his love Eurydice. After being torn apart by the Bacchanae, Orpheus survived for thousand of years as just a head until released (killed) by his father Dream. The second time in Medieval England, after listening to a man claim that Death was "a mug's game", she agreed not to take Robert Gadling while Dream agreed to meet him every hundred years for a drink, just to see how long he would want to live. After Dream (Morpheus) died, she met with Gadling herself and offered to take him, but he refused. One day in every century, Death lives a day in mortal form, sometimes human, sometimes not, to better understand the creatures over which she has dominion. "I'm not merciful or blessed. I'm just me. I've got a job to do and I do it...When the first living thing existed, I was there. Waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave."

17. The Goon (158 points - 3 first place slots)

Year first appeared: 1999

"Great character, easy to relate. Great comics overall."

"A 30's era gangster thug who is a lot deeper than his name would imply. He lost everything he had as a kid and life toughened him up so he set about building a criminal empire. Still he protects his turf and his people from all the supernatural craziness that gets tossed his way no matter how much pain (and there's a lot of it) he gets. A really, really awesome character."

I need to find back issues or trades of this book. I knew nothing of the character prior to this, I have only seen it mentioned in the odd thread here or there. But since I researched I loved it. And with the shots of the animated movie being posted, I have gone into full Goon mode. Thank you all for voting for him, I will ask for the money you now owe me for the new books I am buying later.

The Goon is a comic book series created by Eric Powell in March 1999. The story is about the adventures of the Goon, a muscle-bound brawler who claims to be the primary enforcer for the feared mobster Labrazio. The Goon (and his sidekick Franky) often gets tied up in other machinations, often in relation to the evil zombie gangs under the command of the Nameless Zombie Priest.

The series has a distinctly paranormal slant, with the average story concerning ghosts, ghouls, skunk-apes with an unnatural hunger for pie, extra-dimensional aliens, and mad scientists. On more than one occasion, Powell has metafictionally hinted that the context of The Goon is a creation of pure fiction, taking place in a comic reality instead of implying - in the mold of Spider-Man or Superman - that it is occurring in the "real" world. This is best illustrated in two issues, one in which Hellboy - another comic plot "inserted" into reality - meets the Goon after being transported through an issue of The Goon, the other in which a small boy finds and reads a Goon comic book. In another episode, the Goon's sidekick Franky finds and reads an issue of The Goon and is critical of its accuracy.

Avatar Press first published the Goon in March 1999. Powell was unhappy with the quality of the Avatar comics after just 3 issues, so he stopped handing in new material and waited for his contract to expire. Once that happened, he was unable to find another publisher, so he moved into self-publishing in 2002 with Albatross Exploding Funny Books. These self-published issues caught the eye of Dark Horse Comics, who approached Powell by telling him that they didn't know why they passed on the book, and in 2003 publication of The Goon moved to Dark Horse.

The book also received a release that would never be reprinted in trade format, Satan's Sodomy Baby. After Dark Horse Comics published issue #18, The Goon went on hiatus to allow Eric Powell to work on Chinatown, a graphic novel that tells more of the Goon's back-story. The series returned with issue #19 on July 11, 2007. In 2009, the book will have a one-shot comic guest starring the band Dethklok, from Metalocalypse.

An orphan raised by his Aunt Kizzie, a strong-woman for a carnival. When wanted gangster Labrazio made the carnival his hiding place, Goon snuck into his trailer after hearing about the man's reputation for viciousness. Labrazio showed the young Goon a book containing the names of his enemies, people who had done him favors, and people who owed him money. The police managed to track Labrazio down, however, and surrounded the trailer. In the resulting shoot-out, Goon's Aunt Kizzie, while trying to protect her nephew, was gunned down by stray bullets from Labrazio's firearm. When Labrazio dismissed Kizzie as a "stupid broad" for getting in the crossfire, the young Goon snapped and beat the mobster's skull in with a rock. Figuring the late gangster owed him something, Goon took Labrazio's book (and the man's hat) and took over the entire operation, collecting money and offing deadbeats, all the while insisting that Labrazio was still alive and the Goon was merely his "enforcer."

The Goon is a hulking figure, normally wearing green pants, a white or black shirt, and the hat he removed from Labrazio. Occasionally he wears a faded blue shirt with green stripes on the sleeves—the uniform from his football days. The left side of his face is horribly scarred, caused in a fight with a Triad leader who could turn himself into a dragon by the use of dark magic. His eyes are blue, with the scarring on the left side of his face rendering his left eye blind. He has brown hair cropped short, almost always covered by his trademark cap.

16. Mr. Terrific (163 points - 2 first place slots)

Year first appeared: 1997

"The 3rd smartest man alive and an Olympic level athlete, Mr. Terrific embodies his Golden Age predecessors slogan of "Fair Play"."

"The second coolest Mr. T there is. If you don't think so then I pity you fool."

Love this character. His look. His attitude. Everything bout this character to me is perfect. I would've liked to see him in the Top 10, but I will handle Top 20. Thank you all for voting this way.

Michael Holt is gifted. Though things for him have never been fair. A child prodigy, he has an astronomical IQ and is a natural athlete. On the other hand, his older brother Jeffrey was born retarded and died at the age of 15.

Michael went on to acquire numerous doctorates and degrees as well as becoming an Olympic Decathlete. Even these accomplishments garnering him a small fortune, his greatest moment though was when he married his wife Paula. She gave him a purpose for living. And then she died in a car accident. He lost her and their unborn child.

Considering suicide, Michael contemplated his life. He was than approached by the Spectre. The Spirit of Divine Vengeance told Michael Holt about a man named Terry Sloane, the Golden Age Mr. Terrific. Inspired by Terry's similar natural gifts and origin, Terry decided to take up his mantle. He realized that though he was a prodigy, it was Paula and Jeffrey who were his role models. In their memory he turned his anger and sadness into resolve. If life wasn't fair, he'd make it fair.

Michael Holt possesses knowledge in a number of scientific and medical fields as well as in the martial arts. His invention, the ingenious T-spheres are floating spherical robots that allow him an array of abilities. He can create holograms and laser grids, take audio and visual surveillance, and they also pack a punch! His unique T-shaped mask does little to conceal his already public identity, but it makes him invisible to all forms of electronic detection. It also relays information from his T-spheres.

During a conflict over leadership of the Justice Society between former chairman Hawkman and then-current chairman Sand, Terrific was elected as the JSA's new chairman by his teammates, despite not actively seeking the office. He served in this capacity until the team disbanded following the Infinite Crisis. Mr. Terrific currently remains a member of the reformed Justice Society of America. He resumed his chairmanship from the last incarnation of the team, but his leadership responsibilities in Checkmate eventually prompted him to relinquish the position to Power Girl.

During the 52 event, his friend and teammate Alan Scott approached Michael Holt. Alan had been offered to take part in the rebuilding of the agency Checkmate as the new White King. While Michael wondered why Alan would go to him for advice, he told him to do it, for the common good and to keep Checkmate from being used malevolently as it had been by Maxwell Lord. Advice was not Alan's intention though, instead, he had agreed to sign up so long as Michael signed up also, as his trusted advisor the White Bishop. The schemes of White Queen Amanda Waller led to Alan Scott being relieved from his position as White King. A veteran hero used to being on the front lines, Alan Scott's rigid and up front morality didn't fit in well with the clandestine organization anyway. Before he went, Alan chose Holt as his predecessor.

Discuss

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand