Advertisement

Strictly Speaking 3/09/2009

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 234 posts

Strictly Speaking 3/09/2009

Postby LOLtron » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:10 am

ImageThis week in Strictly Speaking, we go green with the Producer of the upcoming Green Lantern movie. Then we examine the artistic side of Star Trek's new movie. After that, we'll see how Watchmen did at the box office. Damn that's quite a tallywhacker, son. Next, we'll find out why Nathan Burlow has bats in his belfry, and see how the latest Batman video game is coming along. Also, we get to have a chat with Ellen Tigh about the final episode of BSG. Finally...Rosario Dawson and Sin City 2 rumors. Well...really more Rosario than anything else... He Thinks Green Thoughts Imagecomingsoon.net caught up with producer Donald De Line about the upcoming Green Lantern movie. Apparently, it’s gonna be an origin story.

Which I hate.

It’s like…being the one kid in class who actually read last night’s assignment, and you’re waiting for everyone else to catch up. That’s what being a geek is all about when it comes to superhero movies. You already know this shit, because while the rest of the flatscans were interested in boring shit like girls (who are all infected with cooties anyway), you were already reading Green Lantern.

And so, every time someone craps out a superhero movie, you’ve got to sit through yet another origin story you’ve seen a thousand times.

I mean, I understand it’s a catch-22. Most of the audience just doesn’t know who in the fuck Hal Jordan is, so the movie’s gotta tell ‘em. But goddamn it, you and I both know we wanna see the muthafuckin’ Sinestro Corps War on the big screen!

Anyway, here’s an excerpt from the interview. To read the whole thing, go here.

"You have to make him credible and somebody to care about and tell a good story, and I think if we do that, we'll be okay."

As to the rumors about deliberately going younger with Hal Jordan, something that came out of the bogus stories about Anton Yelchin auditioning, De Line denied the intention to cast younger. "Not really, late '20s, early '30s," he said.

Late 20s? Well, I guess that rules out Nathan Fillion. But it’s too bad about Yelchin. If he had been cast, it could have been a sci-fi geek trifecta. Green Lantern, Terminator and Star Trek.

speaking of Trek…

To Boldly Go Where No Art Has Gone Before Even as a Trek fan, I think this shit is a little over the top. But Scifiwire reports on a new Trek project (obviously designed to further pimp the new movie):

Paramount has released photos of three replicas of the U.S.S. Enterprise, which are currently on display at the Arclight Theater in Hollywood, from J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek film.

The three Enterprise models are the first of many upcoming interpretations by respected artists from all over the world.

Image Image  Image  Eh. I dunno if it’s art, but I know what I like. And this ain’t it. I guess at this point it’s just me, but the new Enterprise still looks like something off of Pimp My Starship. Sittin’ on 24s.

AIIIEEEE!! WATCHMEN!!! ImageBrandon Gray reports for boxofficemojo:

Watchmen clocked in with a vibrant estimated $55.7 million on approximately 7,500 screens at 3,611 theaters, handily topping a weekend where overall business was up around ten percent over last year but cooled down from 2009's prior blistering pace.

And what’s this shit? A real happy face crater???Image

I guess that’s proof. God is an Alan Moore fan. Of course, Alan Moore still wants his name taken off the credits for the Mars crater.

Wait 'til They Get a Load of Me... Image  CBR talked to Nathan Burlow, Senior Producer at Rocksteady Studios about the upcoming game "Batman: Arkham Asylum."

You’ve brought in Paul Dini to write the story, and Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill to voice Batman and the Joker. Is it safe to say that the tone of the animated series is something you wanted to capture for the game, even though it’s not directly based on the show?

It was important to Rocksteady that we were able to deliver as an authentic experience as possible. Being able to work with Paul Dini, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill on this project has meant that we have been able to do this. Their input and experience of working within the Batman universe, including the animated series, was invaluable. I’m sure that there are a lot of Batman fans out there that have grown up listening to the voices of Joker and Batman in the animated series, and to be able to hear them in a videogame is very cool.

Are there any games that have come out in the past few years that helped influence what you wanted to do with "Batman: Arkham Asylum?"

If I was to choose one game then this would have to be "Bioshock" for its narrative, atmosphere and believability of a fictional world.

"Batman: Arkham Asylum" seems much darker than most superhero games, and it looks to be targeting older audiences. Will you be going for an M-rating?

We have targeted a TEEN rating for this title whilst still being able to deliver a dark, gritty and believable experience, which will hopefully appeal to both sets of audiences. It was important to us that we took the brand in this direction, as we felt this would appeal to both the hardcore fans and gamers alike.

Now, it’s definitely ball-punchingly awesome-to-the-extreme that Conroy and Hamill are onboard, because that means you already know the voice-acting will kick asses. And with Paul Dini writing the story, it’ll be like old times. You know, back when Batman cartoons didn’t suck or weren’t aimed squarely at kids.

But I am a little concerned about the studio shooting for a Teen rating. I mean, it’s Arkham fuckin’ Asylum, folks. This is one of the few areas of the Batman mythos where a Mature rating is really kinda necessary. It’s a nuthouse for all of Batman’s craziest enemies. And Batman’s enemies are all crazy anyhow, so you know it’s fucking hardcore.

Remember that scene in Silence of the Lambs where one inmate throws a handful of nut-spunk on Clarice? Yeah, that’s why Batman started wearing the Bat-body condom to Arkham. Just in case.

But at the same time, it’s Paul Dini. If anyone can slide past the Teen rating and deliver a dark storyline, it’s him.

Still, I would have preferred an Open World sandbox style game for Batman, borrowing heavily from the Web of Shadows mold instead of Bioshock. Especially if they’re shooting for a Teen rating. But obviously, they wanna go for a particular style.

Gods Damn it, Ellen! New York Post's Popwrap has a sit-down with BSG's Kate Vernon to discuss the final episode:

ImagePW: As we approach the final episodes, how do you feel about the way Ellen's character is wrapped up?
Kate: I feel great about it. Ron and David don't tie things up nice and neat -- the ending is like nothing you'd ever expect. I don't think all the fans could ever be satisfied by one ending, which is a good thing. So this way, they're be left going, "but, wait!" The minds of all the wonderful sci-fi fans will never stop working and journeying into their own ideas because of how the show has been built.

PW: Where do these final episodes take Ellen and the show?
Kate: Out the airlock! [laughs] No, you know, emotionally the ship is everything to Adama and she's dying. Adama's heart is in the ship and you see this beautiful relationship -- as the ship breaks apart and dies, Adama breaks apart and dies. With every crack and fissure of steam, you feel Adama's heart go with it. The ship is dying, people are dying ... everyone's dying. PW: But is the ending hopeful or pessimistic?
Kate: Ron and David have left it so that the fans will journey on in their minds forever, so therefore it's hopeful. It's simply a beautiful ending.

For fuck’s sake, what is it with you guys and the BSG drama? Why do people care so much about Ellen? Personally, I could give a shit about whatever the fuck Ellen has to say to Tigh.

I think BSG has more important shit to wrap up than some played-out ass drama between Tigh and Ellen. She returned from the dead just so she could keep fucking with him. It’s like Days of Our Lives in space.

A couple days ago, I was trying to explain to someone about why the Skinjobs need Hera, and it ended up sounding like a synopsis for an episode of goddamn Dawson’s Creek. It’s Battlestar Galactica. Let’s hop in the goddamn Vipers and splash some fucking toasters for fuck’s sake. Yeah, I said "fuck" instead of "frak."

And since it’s well past time they wrapped this shit up, it is not encouraging to hear that RDM and Eick aren’t tying this up nice and neat. I don’t need my hand held through the conclusion of a story, but this final season has really dragged out. If you guys can’t end this story in a way that totally punches the audience in the balls and hurls them right through the rear wall of pure awesome, then there’s gonna be some furniture movin’ up in this bitch.

This Just In: Frank Miller Planning to do Movie about Whores ImageSuperherohype had a chance to chat with fan boy dream girl Rosario Dawson about plans for Sin City 2:

Q: Jamie King said she's read the "Sin City 2" script. Have you?
Rosario Dawson: No, I have not. She's working with Frank [Miller] to possibly produce something together. I just talked to Frank about it though and said he finished it a couple of months ago so I'm really excited to get it going. Supposedly it's going to happen in 2009.

Q: Did he tell you anything specifically about the script?
Dawson: I get to wear a mask in this one. Is that specific enough?

Q: Where you would like to see your character go in the next film?
Dawson: Gail? I think Gail is pretty much Gail. What you see is what you get. I don't think she's going to be poppin' out any babies and singing any songs or anything like that. What's actually really fun about it is that we get to investigate it a little bit more into the storyline that was actually in "Sin City 2" - that middle chapter which is where Gail mostly was. Investigate a little more as to who is this man and what are they talking about when he's got a different face.

Yeah…Rosario Dawson. She’s kinda got it all, ain’t she, lads? Fuck it, let’s just close this one down with some pics of The Dawson:

Image  Image  Image

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand