Advertisement

Review: Justice Society of America #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts

Review: Justice Society of America #3

Postby LOLtron » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:06 pm

Title: Justice Society of America #3Writer: Geoff JohnsArtist: Dale EagleshamPublisher: DCReview by Kent HortonYou know, I don’t care what anyone says, I like Cyclone’s costume. And no, it’s not because she appears to be pantiless on the cover. So in this issue we get gory, bloody, flesh rending fight scenes, the costumed debut of two [...]
Title: Justice Society of America #3
Writer: Geoff Johns
Artist: Dale Eaglesham
Publisher: DC
Review by Kent Horton

You know, I don’t care what anyone says, I like Cyclone’s costume. And no, it’s not because she appears to be pantiless on the cover. So in this issue we get gory, bloody, flesh rending fight scenes, the costumed debut of two heroes and the further progression of a third’s origin, and the return of Sandman. And, man, what an entrance. The various Nazi villains make for great adversaries, especially Captain Nazi, who I’ve had a soft spot for since reading the Shazam Family Archives.Â

But honestly, the best scene is the climax with perhaps one of the best drawn Vandal Savages I have ever seen. With his spiel of orchestrator of human conflict helping any new readers get a grasp for the character, as well as Tommy’s little remark about Vandal’s old smell, and we have a great reintroduction of the character. Also nice was Dr. Mid-Nite discovering the arrowhead in Mr. America’s lung, providing not only a brief foreshadowing to the JSoA familiar, but also pointing out that as a doctor he’s a fair detective in his own right. Of course the reveal that lil’ Tommy is a were-panther of sorts, furhter tying in the increasing Kingdom Come vibe of the series is intriguing as well.

The art by Eaglesham is great once again, though I feel he needs to work a little more on the details of characters in the background. And in the scene where Sandman reveals the attacks on the families, Courtney and Jesse’s faces look rather similar to my eye. Just one noticable instance, but it happens with a few characters here and there. But overall stunning work, especially the new and redesigned characters’ looks.

To discuss.

Posted originally: 2007-02-19 16:06:20

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand