Advertisement

Rave Ups: You’re Gonna Miss Me - A Film About Roky Erickson

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 235 posts

Rave Ups: You’re Gonna Miss Me - A Film About Roky Erickson

Postby LOLtron » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:22 pm

You’re Gonna Miss Me - A Film About Roky EricksonRoky Erickson was the lead singer of the late 60’s psychedelic rock band the 13th Floor Elevators.  He has always been a bit of an enigma for Rock N Roll fans as he disappeared from the scene after a few full length records.  As drugs were [...]Image

You’re Gonna Miss Me - A Film About Roky Erickson

Roky Erickson was the lead singer of the late 60’s psychedelic rock band the 13th Floor Elevators.  He has always been a bit of an enigma for Rock N Roll fans as he disappeared from the scene after a few full length records.  As drugs were extremely prevalent in the psychedelic rock scene in San Francisco,  Roky started to get a little out of control and eventually got thrown into an institution after getting in trouble with the law for drugs one too many times.  He eventually got released and started making music again as a solo artist.  By this time he had increasing mental issues and he was getting back into drugs.  He eventually gave up music altogether and put himself under his Mothers care.

The movie documents his life, his music and the legal battle that his brother instigated to to wrest him away from his Mother’s care so he could help Roky get into a healthier lifestyle.

Here is the films trailer.

I was surprised a how instantly enjoyable and impressive Roky’s music was both in the Elevators and his solo stuff.  I found his story to be very interesting and I immediately started rooting for him.  The film does a fair job at telling his story with archival footage and interviews with characters from his past and other musicians that are fans. I would say what the film does best is featuring his music from over the years. Check some of my favorite tracks out below.

Posted originally: 2009-03-02 22:22:41

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand