Advertisement

Your Top Modern Characters part 59

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 356 posts

Your Top Modern Characters part 59

Postby LOLtron » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:23 am

More characters for ya. 20 Slots away from the Top 150.

173. Medieval Spawn (23 points)

Year first appeared: 1993

Another Spawn for you haters. I actually liked this guy, I thought it was fun. Then again, I am kinda a big fantasy nut, so it’s all good. Has anyone read the Medieval Spawn and Medieval Witchblade crossover? Doubtful, but thought I put it out there.

As the name suggests, this was a Hellspawn of a medieval era. He was a knight from the mid-15 century, who fought during a civil war in the fictional country of Bahavia. He was released from service to Louis II of Bahavia after he and three others mistakenly killed the Archbishop of Bahavia, Sir Thomas Of Bahavia (they mistook some angry words by the King as an order). The King’s bodyguards killed him on a battlefield in Freedonia as he approached King Louis for forgiveness. For his past deeds of killing (and enjoying it), John was sent to Hell, where he, like others, made a deal with Satan. He was returned to Earth, several years in the future and clad in medieval looking symbiotic armor. Upon realizing what had happened (which was helped along with him finding his own grave), John traveled throughout Bahavia, doing good deeds in the hope he would be redeemed. He was eventually slain by the demon hunter Angela.

Image172. Buzzard (23 points)

Year first appeared: 2003

Former sheriff of a Western town where the Zombie Priest came as a "missionary". As Buzzard was the only doubter of the Priest's unholy wisdom, he was shunned by his people and spiraled into an alcohol-fueled despair. Meanwhile, the town was stricken by a virulent plague that killed the townsfolk, and then brought them back from the grave. After being mocked by the Zombie Priest for failing to protect his citizens, the sheriff became consumed by vengeance and rode through the town, slaughtering zombies and storming the Nameless Man's camp. The terrified Priest attempted to use his necromancy on the sheriff, but rather than turning him into a zombie, it had a reverse effect. He became a living man with an insatiable hunger for the flesh of the dead, which garnered him the name, "Buzzard." In the years that followed, he tracked the Priest across the countryside in a single-minded quest to avenge the town he didn't protect. As the trail led Buzzard into the city, he met the Goon and Franky in the midst of a zombie ambush. After telling the men his story, he informed them both he was going to storm the Nameless Man's tower. Despite the protests of the Goon, he continued his hunt into the very stronghold of his enemy. Upon reaching Lonely Street, Buzzard found himself surrounded. As the zombies closed in, he continued firing until both his handguns were empty, and the panel fades to black.

Seemingly dead, he was forgotten for months. He was, however, imprisoned in the tower of his enemy, tortured for months and starved to a near-skeletal state. Buzzard then managed to send a message to the Goon through a small spirit he befriended in his cell. The Goon gathered a rescue party and stormed Lonely Street and, with the help of Hieronymous Alloy and his robot Bruno, Buzzard was freed from torment. The last words yelled from the Zombie Priest were a reminder to Buzzard how he had failed in his mission to protect the town where he was once the sheriff. The knowledge of his defeat drove him to despair and he attempted to commit suicide by shooting himself in the head. However, the Zombie Priest's curse kept him alive. After regaining strength, Buzzard buried himself alive beneath a tree on the outskirts of town. His mind wandered as he lay entombed, and the spirits in the woods told him many secrets, including the origin of the Zombie Priest, and the Goon's destiny as the only one who could triumph against the Nameless Man. His purpose renewed, Buzzard clawed his way free of the roots and soil to aid the Goon in his fight. Buzzard now guards the city's graveyards, preventing the creation of new zombies.

During the attack by Labrazio, Buzzard enslaved the Priest as a weapon against the resurrected mobster. After the battle was over, Buzzard commanded the Priest to reverse his curse, only to be told that the spell has evolved, making Buzzard an unknown type of creature that even the Priest does not understand, and that there may be no cure.

Image171. Telsa Strong (23 points)

Year first appeared: 2002

A great Alan Moore creation, one of the many on this list. Wait, are there many? I think so, I am too lazy to scan the list at the moment. Anywho, we have the daughter of Millennium City's greatest hero and Scientific Genius, Tom Strong. Tesla Strong here, like her parents, age slower than us average humans. And like her father she inherited her father’s uber IQ.

After the Terrific Tales of Tom Strong ended, Tesla had her own one-shot called the Many Worlds of Tesla Strong. The book is a lot of fun when Tesla is jumping from world to world, as there's a sense of discovery, and the story has enough room so Tesla is allowed to have some pretty enjoyable encounters on each of the respective worlds. From her visit to a world where the bombs have dropped and cockroaches have infested the surface, to the world of nudists, this issue is littered with ideas that range from exciting to goofy fun. Seriously, it’s fun, fun stuff. The idea of a hero jumping from one parallel world to the next is hardly a novel concept, but when done right it's certainly on of the more enjoyable, and on this one-shot Peter Hogan strikes all the right notes. The issue reads almost like a how to book on how to deliver an enjoyable comic, as the action moves along at a furious pace, and there's a wealth of fun & novel ideas bouncing around in these pages

Tom Strong stories are one of the few things I did pick up during my time off of comics. If you need more reasons too pick up this one shot, here are some names that helped with the book: Chris Sprouse, Michael Golden, Adam Hughes, Arthur Adams, Frank Cho, and J. Scott Campbell to name a few.

Image170. Spaceboy (2003 points)

Year first appeared: 2007

Another Umbrella Academy characters, and I can't remember if I mentioned what the Umbrella Academy is actually about in the Rumor post. Anywho, The members of the Umbrella Academy, a disbanded group of superheroes, reunite after the death of their adoptive father, "Sir Reginald Hargreeves". Hargreeves, an alien disguised as a famous entrepreneur, collected the members of the Umbrella Academy shortly after their birth and trained them to save the world from an unspecified threat. After his death, the members carry on his plan to save the world. Way has stated that the biggest influence on this piece of work is his favorite writer, Grant Morrison of Doom Patrol. He has also stated that Pat McEown of ZombieWorld: Champion of the Worm was a big influence on his work. Way has said that Edvin Biuković is his all-time favorite artist and that "his Grendel Tales are like my bible to draw from."

Spaceboy is leader of The Umbrella Academy. His body is that of a gorilla’s and was transplanted after a failed expedition to Mars. His powers are enhanced physical strength and resilience. After his career with The Umbrella Academy he moved to the Moon and lived at the Annihilation Control outpost. On the moon, a robotic butler of sorts, named Ben, attends to Luther.

Discuss

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand