Advertisement

The First Annual Statnutties

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post

The First Annual Statnutties

Postby LOLtron » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:49 am

Now that the post-season is over, its time for the 1stannual Statnutties! The Statnutties consist of 4 awards: MVP, Player of theYear, Rookie of the Year, and Pitcher of the Year.

First up, Rookie of the Year. There are several contenders:Reds first baseman Joey Votto, Braves pitcher Jair Jurrjens, Dodgers pitcherHiroki Kuroda, and Cubs catcher Geovany Soto. Despite Votto's late season surgethat gave him more homers and a higher OPS than Soto, I have to give theStatnuttie Rookie of the Year to Geovany Soto. As a starting catcher on adivision winning team, his 23 homers were the most for a rookie catcher sinceMike Piazza(1993).  Runner up: Votto

Next up, Player of the Year. Player of the Year is differentfrom MVP, in that POY is more about who had the best year, regardless of valueto team and team's finish. There are some good candidates for this one, butnone better than St. Louisfirst baseman Albert Pujols. Pujols was 2nd in the NL in battingaverage, 4th in RBI's and 4th in home runs. In fact, hewas the only player in the NL to finish top 5 in those three categories. Forgood measure, he was 4th in doubles and 2nd in walks. Atruly amazing player, it seems like he puts up the same numbers every year.Amazingly, he's never had a year where he batted below .314, or hit fewer than32 homers. He's probably the best Cardinal position player since Stan Musial.Runner up: Chipper Jones, Atlanta.Jones led the National League in batting, but his missed time probably costhim, as he finished with only 22 homers and 75 RBI's.

Next to last we have Pitcher of the Year. The four bigcontenders are Johan Santana, Tim Lincecum, Ryan Dempster, and Brandon Webb.Santana led the NL in ERA, was 2nd in strikeouts, and 7thin wins. He also led the National League in quality starts with 28. Dempsterwent from bullpen mediocrity in 2007 to top of the line starter in 2008. He was 4th in ERA, 3rdin wins, and 8th in quality starts. An impressive year from someonethat was only being counted on to be a #5 starter. Webb, the 2006 NL Cy Youngaward winner, won 20 games for the first time in his career, finishing with 22as the only NL pitcher to win 20. He was in the top 10 in ERA, complete games,and quality starts. But no ones season was not as impressive as Lincecum, theStatnuttie pitcher of the year. Lincecum went 18-5, posting a winningpercentage that was .339 better than his teams. He led the National instrikeouts, and was second to Santana in ERA and quality starts. Runner up:Santana

And last but not least we come to MVP. For the MVP, I havedevised a little formula. I have not tried it out yet, so this will be analmost live experiment. The formula is thus:

-1 point for playing on a winning team

-2 points for playing on a playoff team

-1 point for being a catcher, shortstop, second baseman orcenterfielder

-1 point for a top 5 finish in homers, RBI's, runs, battingaverage or OPS

-3 points for leading the league in one of those categories.

So lets see who the top 5 are:

5)R. Braun/G. Soto/L.Berkman: 4

4)C. Utley: 5

3)H. Ramirez: 6

2)A. Pujols: 8

1)R. Howard:11

Interesting. My formula picked someone I wouldn't pickmyself. In Howards favor are: led the league in homers and RBI's, and played ona playoff team. Why I wouldn't pick Howard personally, is how awful he playedmost of the year. Also, no National League MVP has ever had a batting averagelower than .267, and that was during World War II(and Stan Musial should havewon that award anyway).

But there you have it. I'll stand by the formula. RyanHoward is the 2008 Statnuttie MVP Award. I'll be curious to see what othersthink.

Discuss

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand