Advertisement

Peeing in Your Shower: The Twelve Days of Alan Moore (day one)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 320 posts

Peeing in Your Shower: The Twelve Days of Alan Moore (day one)

Postby LOLtron » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:30 pm

Day One - Watchmen

Hi everyone. It’s been a while, but I figured I’d give you something toread over Christmas. I’ve been itching to try and cover a writer’s bodyof work for a while, and while it might take a while to just sit andwrite out a rather lengthy article (which is in a way what I plan todo), your attention could be diverted elsewhere. My solution is towrite short little vignettes to keep everyone entertained over thebreak.

I chose to write on Alan Moore not simplybecause he is my favourite writer nor because he has a particularly awesomebeard, but because I always find there is some element of his work that I’mable to pick apart and analyze in a few hundred words. My first encounter withMoore’s work was Watchmen about four years ago when I started reading comics.At first it was a simplistic reaction, and upon second and subsequent readingsI’ve found the series reads more like a novelization than any other comic I’veread. For that reason, Watchmen is what I propose to look at here. 

There are so many fascinating elements to the book, but one never ceases to amaze me: the silhouette of the lovers. This repeated image is, for me, one of the elements that really novelize the work. If you read any good novel very closely, a writer always works with certain images that compliment and drive the story in many ways. In James Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, there is a recurring motif of bird imagery that subconsciously assists in driving Stephen Dedalus to his conclusion to leave Dublin at the end of the novel. Similarly, the image of the lovers occurs on a consistent basis to drive the story of Watchmen.

Moore’s careful placement of the image amongst the chaotic death and destruction of New York City (Issue 12, pg. 5) always haunts me. It gives the implication that after a nuclear war or Armageddon, all that will be left are our shadows painted on the walls. This is an image that occurs in Grant Morrison’s Invisibles as well. Does this specifically mean that our shadows, our “dark sides” or “dark reflections” will be all that is left if we continue to fight amongst ourselves? Perhaps that is what is suggested by the image; a darker side of humanity exists in the shadows.

That is too simple an explanation. The image is of two lovers kissing, and the first time Rorshach notices it he finds it haunting. It is an image that Rorschach identifies with his mother and her lovers, but the image makes its way into the Tijuana bible in Sally Jupiter’s house, as well as various scenes involving Laurie and her lovers Dan Dreiberg and Jon Osterman. The image even gets reversed in Chapter III, after Laurie and Dan fight the knot-top thugs and stand back to back. I’d even go so far to say the image gets twisted in Chapter XI when the newsvendor hugs the kid to protect him from the white flash (which incidentally transitions to repeat the image on the cover of that chapter).

Watch the image closely when it appears at the end of the novel, as Dan and Laurie kiss and then it transitions to Rorschach’s mask. For me, that suggests the image becomes a reckoning for the final stages of the novel. Given Moore’s suggestions about sex in other series, do the lovers really reconcile anything for the characters of Watchmen? Does it help justify Veidt’s actions at all, or does it just further complicate things? Does the image mean anything at all? I’m sure it does, but these are questions that we have to work out with our own interpretations of the work.

Merry Christmas! See you tomorrow!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand