Advertisement

Interview: Matt Anderson

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 282 posts

Interview: Matt Anderson

Postby LOLtron » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:00 am

Matt Anderson is the co-creator and co-writer of Ape Entertainment’s White Picket Fences with artist Micah Farritor and co-writer Eric Hutchins. I sat at my computer and sent him questions and he answered just like what Oprah’s minions do (except minus the vodou):The Outhouse: Okay, first off: Describe White Picket Fences.Matt Anderson: White Picket Fences [...]
ImageMatt Anderson is the co-creator and co-writer of Ape Entertainment’s White Picket Fences with artist Micah Farritor and co-writer Eric Hutchins. I sat at my computer and sent him questions and he answered just like what Oprah’s minions do (except minus the vodou):

The Outhouse: Okay, first off: Describe White Picket Fences.

Matt Anderson: White Picket Fences is the story of eleven-year-old Charlie Hobson, who finds himself in the unfortunate position of being the person who triggers an interplanetary showdown between Earth and Mars, thereby endangering not only everyone he knows and loves in his hometown of Greenview, but also the entire planet! Think of it as a cross between television shows like, Leave it to Beaver, and films like, The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Outhouse: How did you get started writing comics?

Matt: For me, it all started with Superman #51 (1991), written and illustrated by Jerry Ordway, and introducing a new villain – the mysterious Mr. Z! I have no idea why that particular issue resonated with me so much as a kid, but ever since I read it, I’ve been coming up with my own stories, and I haven’t once looked back. I actually have a copy of Superman #51 that I am waiting to frame and hang up next to my desk, but first I have to track down Mr. Ordway and get him to sign it.

Outhouse: How did the idea for White Picket Fences come up?

Matt: As a fan of 1950’s sitcoms and science-fiction films, I was really interested in taking the wholesome sensibilities of the former, and combining it with the tension and peril of the latter. Happily, this resulted in the initial concept of White Picket Fences, which I quickly shared with Micah and Eric. Together, the three of us shaped the concept into a rather expansive world, which we look forward to expanding upon well past this three-issue mini-series.

Outhouse: What’s next for you after this project?

Matt: More White Picket Fences! We recently got the go ahead from the folks over at Ape Entertainment to begin working on a 48 page one-shot follow-up to the three-issue mini-series. I’m really excited about this book because we are going to be offering readers three complete stories in it. There will be two stories starring Charlie and the rest of the Greenview crowd, plus there will be another Captain Odyssey short done in the same style and format as the back-ups in the mini-series.

Matt: Aside from that, Eric and I, alongside artist Matt Jordan, are preparing to launch a web comic called, Lazy Days. It’s our take on the slacker genre with more heart than would be expected, and just the right amount of dirty jokes!

Outhouse: Since the story has to do with aliens, do you have any interest in going out into space?

Matt: Sure, I have interest in going out into space, but until those NASA people can make it more accessible to schlubs like me, I highly doubt that I will be going anywhere.

Outhouse: What comic books have you been reading lately?

Matt: Too many! I’ve always been a big DC fan, so they’ve pretty much got me hooked with all of this Countdown stuff. Also, the books Ape Entertainment is putting out are top notch. The series Bizarre New World just started, but I’ve been fortunate enough to read all three issues, and I strongly encourage everyone to check it out! I promise you will not be disappointed!

Although, hands down my favorite comic right now is Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis’ brilliant series Hero Squared. It has everything that made their Justice League run (incidentally, my favorite comic series of all time) incredible, and oh so much more. If you’re not reading Hero Squared, you should be (that is to say, right after you’ve read your copy of White Picket Fences)!

Outhouse: Stupid question time: You have five ducks, a mallet, two screwdrivers, and a delorean. What are you going to do? And no, traveling through time is not an option, Marty McFly.

Matt: After drinking two screwdrivers, I’d better hope that one of the ducks can drive the Delorean and that the others can keep the mallet away from me, because otherwise things are going to quickly start looking a whole lot like “Whac-a-mole!”

Oh… you meant the other kind of screwdrivers…

Outhouse: Finish this statement if you would please: People at The Outhouse should buy White Picket Fences because…

Matt: …it’s fun, it’s different, you don’t have to buy dozens of tie-ins to get the complete story, it’s perfect for anyone of any age…I could go on and on, but for the sake of brevity I will simply say that White Picket Fences is a pure, unadulterated comic book – it’s got kids getting into crazy situations, the military invasion of a small town, aliens bent on the destruction of Earth, plus the slam-bang adventures of everyone’s favorite comic within a comic hero, Captain Odyssey, and all at the measly cost of $3.50 – honestly, what more could you ask for?!

To discuss.

Posted originally: 2007-06-12 13:00:30

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand