Advertisement

Review: Spider-Man 3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 320 posts

Review: Spider-Man 3

Postby LOLtron » Thu May 03, 2007 8:28 am

By dairydead Hey, all, just got back from a screening of the mighty Spiderman 3, and let me tell you, what a ride. From the start to the end, Spidey 3 manages to pack just about everything in you could imagine, from action to comedy to real emotion. From the get go, we finally get a comfortable [...]

Spider-Man 3 PosterBy dairydead

Hey, all, just got back from a screening of the mighty Spiderman 3, and let me tell you, what a ride. From the start to the end, Spidey 3 manages to pack just about everything in you could imagine, from action to comedy to real emotion.

From the get go, we finally get a comfortable Spider-Man, not very different than that of the comics, one that is an established hero, with fans and all. While the movie takes his popularity a bit too far at times, it stresses very far the idea that this is a Spider-Man movie, not a Peter Parker movie.

The Sandman appears fairly early in the film, and is rushed into his “origin”, while in the meantime Peter somehow manages to deal with a newly “super” Harry. This is one of the more important things i noticed throughout the movie, the constant presence of Harry, which left to another director, would’ve been lost in all the madness. His involvement brings Peter to question himself, and just makes matters worse when a certain symbiotic goo makes itself comfortable on his costume(suit?)

Then there are the supporting characters. The introduction of Gwen Stacy was handled almost perfectly, in my opinion, also tying itself into the introduction of Eddie Brock. While not quite a comic-perfect Gwen, she makes herself known throughout the movie, and never really quite fades away. Another player, Eddie Brock, is handled with a very interesting direction. Topher Grace plays up the Eric Foreman character, but adds a whole lot of stalker-like creepiness, and a bit of ass-kissing to boot. The events that shape his character to become Venom are just fantastic. You can just see these moments, and revel in what is to come.

Spider-Man 2 is one of the most highly regarded superhero movies ever made, and for good reason, and Raimi knows that, so he makes good use of all the good aspects, and the bad. The tone is quite different from the second, and more like the first, in that bolder, more actioney sort of feel. There is a LOT of stuff being thrown at us, and there isnt much time for moments that we saw in Spider-Man 2, like when Octavius got to know Peter, or certain character moments such as those. The ones we get are a bit rushed, and somewhat cliched. Unfortunately, that is what might turn some fans off, as it really plays down the human element, and plays up the superhero angle, a LOT. Don’t get me wrong, we still get some of the most interesting and emotional character moments out of the whole saga, but that realism and somberness seen in 2 is lost amongst the chaos.

Probably my biggest gripe is the pedestrians. The commoners are some of the worst acted extras I have seen in quite a long time, and most of them seem out of place and tacky. The reactions are stiff, and the one liners are terrible, which is a minor problem, but still noticeable.

Raimi directs with an incredible eye, and takes what could be a monumental mess of a story, and paces it perfectly, giving us what we want, when we want, and need it in the story. The pacing is incredible, as the slow moments were wanted, instead of tacked on. With so many characters and story lines, a less talented director would’ve butchered it, and Raimi knows that, and yet can poke fun at himself and the characters.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me about this, but the lighter moments were some of the best in the saga. The dance scenes, and the sarcasm from Eddie were perfectly pitched, and delivered with a self-aware sort of attitude, telling the audience to lighten up. Peter being “smooth” is one of the best parts of the movie. Seeing Tobey boss around J. Jonah Jameson and others is a joy to watch. Also, Bruce Campbell gives his most substantial and hilarious cameo to date, it is quite the cameo, if I say so myself.

All in all, this is a fantastic sequel, that is up there with the second one, and even surpassing it in certain areas, if not all of them, perhaps just by the final battle scene alone (fanboy-gasm). Raimi knows what fans want, and he delivers.

To discuss.

Posted originally: 2007-05-03 13:28:39

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/television-movies-music/movies/movie-reviews/1897-review-spider-man-3.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Sat May 21, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand