Advertisement

Interview: Jonathan Hickman

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Interview: Jonathan Hickman

Postby LOLtron » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:49 pm

Jonathan Hickman is the writer, artist, letterer, colorist, and grip boy for The Nightly News, a new series from Image Comics. The Outhouse had the pleasure of getting an interview with Hickman. Enjoy, critters:The Outhouse: Here’s the get-to-know-you part, Jonathan. Why did you decide to try your hand at comics? How did you do so?Jonathan [...]
ImageJonathan Hickman is the writer, artist, letterer, colorist, and grip boy for The Nightly News, a new series from Image Comics. The Outhouse had the pleasure of getting an interview with Hickman. Enjoy, critters:

The Outhouse: Here’s the get-to-know-you part, Jonathan. Why did you decide to try your hand at comics? How did you do so?

Jonathan Hickman: Comic books are something I’ve always I wanted to do. I tried after college, about a decade ago, but failed miserably. I got rejection letters from Marvel, DC, and some others. I don’t think I was good enough at the time. After I worked in advertising for a bit, I sent the proposal for The Nightly News to Image and in a couple of days they sent a reply saying they’ll publish it.

Outhouse: How did you come up with the idea for The Nightly News?

Hickman: There’s two ways to come up with stories in my opinion. One is plotted out with the idea for the characters and story somewhat made before writing. Another type of story where there’s a flash idea and, in a day or two, it’s fully done.

The Nightly News is about some people who hate the way they’re shown on the news, which is how they usually are, so they go get some revenge on the newspeople.

Outhouse: Why did you decide to do the writing, art, and everything else on this book?

Hickman: One of those things where’s it difficult, since I have no credits, to attract a decent contributor and the story needed to be cohesive art-wise, so it wasn’t much of a choice. On the top of that, the people who I really respect like Frank Miller have done it before.

Outhouse: Since you did everything on The Nightly News, what was your favorite part to do?

Hickman: Finally getting to do a comic that seems to be the right thing to do at this moment.

Outhouse: Was there any specific reason why you choose to release The Nightly News through Image?

Hickman: I wanted to maintain ownership and it seems silly to do an independent book and give it away to a company. I choose Image because others weren’t solicitating at the time.

Outhouse: Who or what are some of your inspirations?

Hickman: Well, I’m a big fan of graphic design which is shown on the book.

Outhouse: Do you have any plans to do any other comic book work?

Hickman: Yeah, I have a publishing schedule created in my mind for the next year and so on. I have a couple of ideas for some future stories which I would be doing the writing and art for.

Outhouse: Okay. Lastly, if you could please, sell The Nightly News to the Outhousers (that’s the name for the people on the site).

Hickman: The Nightly News is a revenge story that feels like Network meets Reservoir Dogs. Also, it’s about how the news companies talk to the people the same way cults do.

For your wildest thoughts about this interview.

Posted originally: 2006-10-30 18:49:06

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand