Advertisement

Jeff Lemire's Dark Corner of the DCU

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 200 posts

Jeff Lemire's Dark Corner of the DCU

Postby LOLtron » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:28 am

Jeff Lemire discusses his new Animal Man and Frankenstein books...as well as why Buddy Baker's marriage will last longer than Superman's!

Jeff Lemire is the award-winning writer best known for his work on indy hits Sweet Tooth  and Essex County.  Recently, Lemire made the plunge into the world of superheroes in last year's Eisner Award-nominated Superboy. With the DC Relaunch looming in September, Lemire will be moving on to two horror based titles: Animal Man and Frankenstein.  The Outhouse sat down with Lemire to find out as much as possible about the two new books.

Outhouse: Jeff, you posted a picture yesterday of sketches of Frankenstein and Animal Man that have been hanging above your desk for a few years.  Needless to say, you're pretty excited to be writing these books, aren't you?

Jeff Lemire: I love both characters. Animal Man was a formative book fo me back in the 90's as were all the early DC/Vertigo line of books. They really kept me interested in comics when the regular superhero stuff lost my interest, and really contributed in me wanting to become a storyteller.

And I thought Grant Morrision' Frankenstein was one of the funnest and most underappreciated books of the last 5 or ten years. Tonnes of potential there I was dying to get my hands on.

OH: Both Animal Man and Frankenstein have been largely defined by Grant Morrison and his stories featuring the characters.  Are you planning to be using any plot points or themes from Grant's time with the characters?

JL: Well, to be honest I am taking as much from Jamie Delano's Animal Man run as Grant's.  Don't get me worng, I love Grant's stuff, but I really don't want to go down the same meta-fiction route he did. That was really the kind of story you could only do once with a character, and he did it masterfully. I think the absolute worse thing I could do is try to write like Grant Morrision. I need to be myself, and find my pwn voice with these characters just like he did.

OH: So, let's start with Frankenstein.  Frankenstein's a newer character with not a lot of history in the DCU.  What do you feel are the main draws to writing Frankenstein and what do you feel are his defining characteristics?

JL: Frankenstein is an unstoppable, unkillable engine of destruction. But buried under this  is the sad and noble heart of a poet. He also has absolutley no sense of humor, so when you surround a character like that with total, over-the-top absurd sci-fi mayehm the results are fun, hilarious and unexpected.

The book is the most insane sci-fi and horror concepts I could come up with, one layered on top of another with Frank at the center of the storm, an unchanging, unwavering and unnatural force.

OH: Frankenstein will be working as an agent of SHADE in you new series.  What is SHADE's role in the NuDCU and how does Frankenstein fit into the organization?

JL: You'll have to wait to read issue 1 for that one! SHADE is unlike anything that's ever been in the DCU before. It's the anti-SHIELD. Mad-Science gone horribly wrong, yet somehow still sanctioned by the government.

OH: What sort of themes will you be exploring in Frankenstein?  Will we be seeing any ties to his role as one of the Seven Soldiers?

JL: Again, you'll have to wait and see about the 7 Soldiers connection, but the main themes of the book are science vs. nature, and the lonliness of a man who can never die, and never be with the woman he loves.

OH: Moving onto Animal Man, you've stated that you'll be exploring the "family man" aspect of Animal Man in his new series.  Does that mean that we won't be seeing any of the bizarre storylines that we've gotten used to seeing with Buddy?

JL: Oh, it's plenty bizarre. The fun is taking that family unit and putting them in the middle of the darkest, weirdest things you can imagine, and seeing how far you can push them before they tear apart.  Ellen Baker is the rock. Buddy may wear the costume, but as long as Ellen's there, the family will never break.

OH: With rumors of Superman's marriage disappearing and the past dissolution of other DC heroes' marriages, why do you think that Animal Man's family has proved to be so stable throughout the years? 

JL: Because unlike Superman or other characters that were married, the core of Buddy's character is his family and his marriage. At it's core, the concept of Animal Man is a father and husband who is also a superhero.

While the core of Superman is an alien who longs to be like us, and Spide-Man is a normal teen trying to do the right thing. The marriage was secondary.

OH: It looks as if your new series will be returning to Buddy's daughter Maxine developing her own powers. Will Maxine and Buddy's powers differ at all and how will it change that family dynamic?

JL: That would be telling. But yes they will differ and she may in fact be one of the most dangerous living things in existence.

OH: Scott Snyder said that many of the new DC horror books will be featuring similar themes between the books.  Can you elaborate at all about what sort of themes will be tying the books together and if there will be any other ways the various books tie together?

JL: No I can't. Not without spoiling...but pay close attention to details in both Scott's Swamp Thing and Animal Man...there are foundations being laid down that will effect both books down the road.

OH: Final question:  How new reader friendly will Frankenstein and Animal Man be?  Why should readers be picking up your books come September?

JL: Both can be picked up and understood if you've never read another A-Man or Frank story before. At the same time, long time fans will be rewarded as well.

You should pick these books up because they are about as far from your average superhero stuff as you can get.  And i'm pouring my heart into both books.  That and they both look fantastic. Alberto Ponyicelli and Travel Foreman are both incredible artists.

Be sure to check out Animal Man  and Frankenstein come September!

Written or Contributed by: Christian Hoffer

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/features/interviews/14419-jeff-lemires-dark-corner-of-the-dcu.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Re: Jeff Lemire's Dark Corner of the DCU

Postby superfictious » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:31 am

I like the sound of SHADE. I'll probably pick up Frankenstein and wait for the verdict on Animal Man.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:40 am

I'm picking up both. These and Swamp Thing were the pleasant surprises among all the DC announcements.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:08 am

I enjoyed Lemire's Superboy so I'll check out his books

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:47 pm

Posted to Facebook.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 291 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Superboy is just unreadable.

I'll be passing on the Lemire books coming up for now. However, if word of mouth slides into the positive I'll back-issue bin it to catch up.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 127 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:40 pm

Amoebas wrote:Superboy is just unreadable.

Wow. Well, agree to disagree with that sentement...it is currently the only Super-title I'm picking up (dropped Action after #900). I find it enjoyable and full of heart.

That said, I'll be picking up both of these titles. I'm really looking forard to Animal Man. The preview art has a really funky vibe to it and I trust Lemire to sell it.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand