Advertisement

RUviews: I Has A Sad Stack

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 322 posts

RUviews: I Has A Sad Stack

Postby LOLtron » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:50 am

Hello there, Internet People - it's your good buddy, RU, here a couple days late but still ready to guide your comic book purchases.  Why? 'Cause I'm a people person.

Beware, there are spoilers.

Sorry to say, but my stack was more bad than good this week.

(As usual, a text version of the RUviews is available below the video)

Lets start with the less than stellar books shall we?

Fear Itself #7.1 – Ok, we'll move beyond how this comic made a pointless death in a sub-par event even worse.  Instead, we'll focus on the book itself and how it was a $4 zero issue.  What Marvel did here was charge us for a teaser that would have made more sense as one of the 18-ish epilogues in Fear Itself #7.  Now, I'm all for a Winter Soldier comic book written by Brubaker, but I really hope that Guice is not the full-time artist, and if he is that he changes his style up.  The book looked like someone added a bunch of shading to old Hanna-Barbera stills.

Moon Knight #7 – I like Bendis and I have no shame in admitting that, but, with the exception of Ultimate Spider-Man, his game has been off recently.  First was the very underwhelming Brilliant and now a let-down of an ending to the first arc of Moon Knight.  The first six issues were pretty good, they had me laughing a few times, and I was genuinely curious as to who the Kingpin of L.A. was, and that's what made this issue such a let-down.  Yes, we discovered who the big bad was, and then there was a three-panel fight with him before he flew away.  That's it, seven issues lead to three panels of Moon Knight fighting the bad guy.  Yes, there was more stuff that was talked about in the book (I mean really, it's a Bendis book, of course there was lots of talking) but the only thing that really happened was the reveal and three panel fight.  Horrible let-down of an ending to an otherwise good arc.

Uncanny X-Men #1 – What in the bloody Hell have they done to Sinister!? He's gone from interesting to a run-of-the-mill bad guy with third-person issues and Dracula's stylist. Also, is it just me, or does it look like Emma is wearing a 1950's bikini made out of rags that used to be on a mummy?

As sad as it is to say, my pull list for this week only had one book that I feel stood out enough to make it onto the good list, but before we get to that a quick flashback to last month's Boys #59. So as not to totally spoil this book for anyone who hasn't read it, all I'm going to say is that if you've been reading Boys for a while now be prepared for an emotional reaction, that is re-opened in the first pages of #60.

New Mutants #33 – For me this comic was the highlight of my pile this week.  A great jumping on point for the new while still appealing to long-time readers.  Each team member is able to explain where they land in the schism and why in brief yet heartfelt ways.  The Danger Room scene with Hope and Nate Grey was an interaction I've been waiting for, and I hope that the relationship is further explored.  Dani's loyalty to Scott is natural and honest as are her reasons for taking the team off Utopia, and watching but not hearing her explain it to Cyclops was an inspired story-telling choice.  If you are an X fan and are not reading New Mutants, issue #33 is a good testing out issue.  It helps that Abnett and Lanning are some of the best superhero writers around.

Ok, that's it for this week, but there are some episodes coming up to look forward to. First I hope to have a trade special in time for holiday shopping and second, I recently found all five volumes of the Clone Saga at my library.  If I survive the experience I shall pass the pain on to you, my loyal viewer.

Ok, thats it for now.  Later Peeps

RUviews on Facebook
RU on Twitter @IamGHERU 

Written or Contributed by: GHERU

http://173.199.169.70/index.php/columns/ruviews/17147-ruviews-i-has-a-sad-stack.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: RUviews: I Has A Sad Stack

Postby bkthomson » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 am

anyone tell you it is nice to have your reviews back!
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 431 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:05 am

bkthomson wrote:anyone tell you it is nice to have your reviews back!

thanks
I'm happy to be doing them again
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 372 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:33 am

I swear to god I had to read that title 3 times. I swear it said I has a sad sack. :smt005
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:34 am

avengingtitan wrote:I swear to god I had to read that title 3 times. I swear it said I has a sad sack. :smt005

I wrote it and I still miss the "t" when I read it
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 372 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:48 am

GHERU wrote:I wrote it and I still miss the "t" when I read it

:lol:
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 116 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:19 pm

:smt026

We need to stop reading crappy comics. :(

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:21 pm

SuperginraiX wrote::smt026

Well one of my topics for the podcast is that I read 350 comics in one month and I'll point out what was crap and what I was really surprised with.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:30 pm

SuperginraiX wrote::smt026

I've been culling my pull list hard core these past couple of months
and, I am (mostly) waiting for trade on the NuDC, so that's helped my monthly DCBS bill...that is until all 52 trades come out in one month (not that I am gonna buy even 25% of them, but still).
RUviews

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand