Advertisement

RUviews: Is Something Going On With DC?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts

RUviews: Is Something Going On With DC?

Postby LOLtron » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:44 am

The long awaited (ok, yea, not really) NuDC episode of RUviews is here.  Enjoy, and also, beware of the SPOILERS!

The Flash, Justice League Dark, Batman, and a special note on Annihilators: Earthfall

Hello there Internet People, its your good buddy RU here to, yet again, apologize for missing a week, although, looking at my youtube stats, I'm not sure anyone noticed.  With holiday travel and a six month old who has decided that sleep is for the weak, it was difficult to convince WIFE that I needed to hide out in the basement to talk about comic books with my Internet friends.

Women!

So here we go, with the promised focus on the NuDC books I am getting monthly in order from pretty good to awesome.

(As usual, a text version of the RUviews is available below the video)

The Flash – In the pre-Flashpoint continuity Wally West was my Flash; to this day I feel that his book had some of the best character growth from begging to end of any super hero "ongoing" I can think of.  I was not a fan when Barry came back, and I was really upset that Barry's book was so good, and even after Flashpoint where Barry was the bad guy (go ahead and think about it...) I can't bring myself not to at least try any book with "Flash" in the title, and so far in the NuDC I have not been disappointed.  Francis Manapul is writing a very decent superhero book, and its nice to see a version of Barry that isn't already, well, old.  This first storyline, Mob Rule is not a reimagining of a story we already know, rather it involves an old friend of Barry's, giving Manapul a natural, non-distracting reason for flashbacks that fill in some of the new continuity.  If all you are looking for is something fun without high art expectations, and if you can understand that being fast can be a cool power, give The Flash a look.

Justice League Dark – Anyone who knows me can guess why I picked this up; I am an unapologetic Constantine mark and although I didn't pick up Brightest Day, Justice League Dark piqued my interest.  Yes, Milligan has had quite a few misses recently with superhero books - X-Men and Flashpoint: Secret Seven to name some – but his Hellblazer run has shown that he gets Constantine and magic, so I had faith.  So far, so good.  In fact, this is the first time that Deadman has been used in any way that highlighted, for me, what it must be like to be Deadman and what his "life" is like.  Beyond that, Zatanna, Shade, and The Enchantress are all being written well enough that I want to know what happens next, and the structure of the story is such that you can feel the characters getting closer to each other, even between issues.  I like the idea of an all magic team made up of members who do not play well together, and I can't wait to see where this all goes.

Batman – if you are not reading this book then you suck.  Scott Snyder knows what is up and he can write Batman nearly perfect.  But beyond Batman, Snyder also brings personality and depth to Bruce Wayne, a character that is sometimes ignored except to move a story forward during the day, and has created a wonderful character out of Gotham itself.  If you are also reading All-Star Western (my wallet won't allow me to) you will see how these two stories complement each other in relation to the Parliament of Owls.

I am trade waiting All-Star Western and Demon Knights, but I have read the first two issues of both...digitally and I do recommend them as two other books worthy of consideration.  Also, fuck everyone else, Red Lanterns, Red Hood, Superboy, and Teen Titans are all fun books that I'll get the trades of as soon as I have a good job.

On a completely unrelated note, any of you hiring?

That's it for this week, but I'd quickly like to mention that the art in Annihilators: Earthfall is some of the most G-d awful art I have seen in a long time (at least in the Annihilators story.  Rocket and Groot are fine), but please don't let that keep you from getting the book, DNA are awesome and the story should be supported.

I have ~5 trades to read before I do my holiday trade special, hopefully next week or soon after.

RUviews on Facebook
RU on Twitter @IamGHERU

Written or Contributed by: GHERU

http://173.199.169.70/index.php/columns/ruviews/17478-ruviews-is-something-going-on-with-dc.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Re: RUviews: Is Something Going On With DC?

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:20 am

RU!!!

Did you just call Etrigan "Estrogen?" :lol:

Good stuff as always, dude. Sorry to hear about your lack of job. I know how that goes. :(

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby GHERU » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:38 am

SuperginraiX wrote:RU!!!

Did you just call Etrigan "Estrogen?" :lol:

Good stuff as always, dude. Sorry to hear about your lack of job. I know how that goes. :(

if I did, I didn't mean to
oh, I have a job, it jsut sucks. I am a temp at a bank for shit per hour

(YES, I am a Jew working at a bank, get it out of your systems now)
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:46 am

GHERU wrote:if I did, I didn't mean to

Jeeze, you would think your own family would give you a better salary.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:48 am

GHERU wrote:if I did, I didn't mean to

Hey, they have to hire someone there to turn me down for a loan.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Starlord » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:09 pm

Couldn't agree with you more on any of these. Personally I think Red Hood is a horrible train wreck of a book with Starfire's character having been so butchered it makes my stomach turn... but I can't stop reading it. I keep waiting for the moment that the three of them fall in bed together. lol

Batman is the best Bat book on the market right now with Nightwing being a very close second. If you are a fan of good Nightwing stories, you might want to pick this one up in trade too.

Great job RU!!!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Brian - Red Hood is definetly a guilty pleasure. Jason's dicarded "best memory" was really well done.

Flash - just seems so generic to me. That jeyliner thing was just silly imo. Still, I'm in for while longer

JL Dark still hasn't clicked for me. I think I'm preordered through #4 - that'll be it I guess.

Batman - incredible stuff.

Demon Knights - great book - lots of fun.

All-Star Western - Do not trade wait! So very good (especially the ties it seems to have with Snyder's Batman).

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:06 pm

I can’t afford to not trade wait some books anymore, and I figured books that happen in the past aren’t really gonna cross-over any time soon so All Star Western is on the back burner at least till I drop a book (maybe Flash, maybe “Secret” Avengers if Remender can’t make it interesting), then I might pick it up monthly.

I think I said that the Flash isn’t great, but I am compelled to at least give a “Flash” book at least one story line. I just can’t help myself.
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Flash is much more enjoyable then I wanted it to be. I'm with RU in that Wally was the best Flash ever. I liked Barry, but his return still sticks in my craw a bit. But I really don't dislike it or find any reason to dislike it.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:09 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Jeeze, you would think your own family would give you a better salary.

No one likes a halfbreed
RUviews

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:02 pm

GHERU wrote:No one likes a halfbreed

You and Cher both, brother...

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand