Monday, June 25, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Memorial to dead childhoods."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Onward into the Digital Age with Dark Horse? Or Not?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:00 pm

As someone who is friends with a comic shop owner, i find it kind of wrong to be "happy" that they could potentially go out of business..

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:19 pm

e_galston wrote:As someone who is friends with a comic shop owner, i find it kind of wrong to be "happy" that they could potentially go out of business..

If your friend is a decent owner, they'll be working to provide more to the community than just a haven for weekly comics releases.

I have friends that work for book publishers and magazines. Doesn't mean I can't say that the current publishing landscape is fucked up (they actually say this more often than I do).

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Imagine if you lived by eating vegetables grown in your garden. You don't want to go out and buy seeds for new plants because you don't want to plant new seeds and disrupt the delicate ecosystem of your garden, plus buying seeds costs money and you have to leave the comfort of your home to do it. But even if in the short term the plants in your garden are enough, eventually some plants will die. If you don't plant new seeds, eventually, you will have no plants.

/hippie'd

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:35 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
If your friend is a decent owner, they'll be working to provide more to the community than just a haven for weekly comics releases.

I have friends that work for book publishers and magazines. Doesn't mean I can't say that the current publishing landscape is fucked up (they actually say this more often than I do).

he does.. he has frequent events, yet he's still almost closed twice because people aren't picking up the books he's holding for them..

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:30 pm

e_galston wrote:
he doesn't just sell comics, he has gaming and other things as well.

So IMO, he would benefit from the successful digital distribution of comics.

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 pm

e_galston wrote:
he doesn't just sell comics, he has gaming and other things as well.

If pull list customers can close his doors, it kinda sounds like comics are all he's selling.

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:33 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
If pull list customers can close his doors, it kinda sounds like comics are all he's selling.

but its not.. he does friday night magic tournaments and does all the release tournaments..

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Brian Wood on the Dark Horse kerfluffle-
http://brianwood.tumblr.com/post/13826679493/the-digital-question-mark

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:49 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:Brian Wood on the Dark Horse kerfluffle-
http://brianwood.tumblr.com/post/13826679493/the-digital-question-mark

He's right. It's a mix of greed and fear on various levels from the retailers and publishers. The fact that the retailers are threatening boycotts in order to force people to buy products from them at inflated prices is pretty disgusting.

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:16 pm

I can't believe he hasn't boycotted Magic tournaments, which released a videogame on their property that makes possibly getting the physical cards redundant... :smt102

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:21 pm

My opinion as said to Russ a few minutes on IM:

it's the digital age at the end of the day, while physical comics aren't going to die, it's obvious the business model of the retailer's and the publishers need to change to embrace it

The way the retailer embraces is, is by actively promoting things that cannot be ordered through diamond anymore while maintaining a relationship with that new consumer.

The way the publisher embraces is is simple, bite the gun and drop the price for the digital issue. We live in the .99 pocket god/angry birds age and as soon as the comic industry realizes that, the better off they'll be.

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:16 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
This.

Image is slowly embracing the price decreasing stuff, the Atomic Robo guys offer full trades worth of stories for just 4 dollars...this really isn't rocket science at the end of the day.

Wiki-Snake

cheese

Postby Wiki-Snake » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:54 am

Digital is the only way to go.

leave a comment with facebook