Sunday, May 29, 2016 • Morning Edition • "We're so sorry, DC. Please take us back."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Jerry Robinson 1922-2011

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:01 am

Jerry Robinson 1922-2011The legendary creator of Robin, The Joker, and creator rights advocate was 89.

Comic Book Resources (Who cites Graphic NYC) is reporting that Jerry Robinson passed away last night in his sleep, less than a month shy of his ninetieth birthday. 

Robinson was born in Trenton New Jersey on January 1, 1922 and was still a college student at New York's Columbia University when he started to work for Bob Kane and National Comics.  Before long, he was working with Kane and Bill Finger on establishing so much of what we know about the Batman mythos today, including adding a sidekick character in Robin, and an enduring villain in The Joker (though Bob Kane disputed Robinson's contribution).  He spent much of the 1950's and 1960's working on newspaper comic strips (including the Batman daily and his own creation, entitled True Classroom Flubs and Fluffs).  He re-emerged in the superhero scene in the 1970's when he, along with Neal Adams, helped broker a pension and credit agreement between DC Comics and Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster for their creation of Superman. 

Robinson also worked on curating museum exhibits relating to comic book art and served as a historian for the medium. 

The Outhouse sends condolences to Mr. Robinson's loved ones. 

Source: RIP Jerry Robinson, Joker Creator and Comics Ambassador
Written or Contributed by: Royal Nonesuch

http://173.199.169.70/index.php/news/comics-news/17548-jerry-robinson-1922-2011.html/

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:42 am

:cry: R.I.P

You created my Dick and for that I will be eternally grateful.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:17 pm

A true comic legend deserving of FAR more credit than he ever recieved.

Thank you sir. Thank you.

MistaT

penile prisoner

Postby MistaT » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Starlord wrote:

wow, just...wow. :lol:

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Amoebas wrote:A true comic legend deserving of FAR more credit than he ever recieved.

Thank you sir. Thank you.

This.The man created my favorite fictional character ever, and I'm sorry that a shout-out here is probably the best I can do to thank him.

R.I.P.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Actually the Joker and Robin were co-creations at least been Finger, Kane and Robinson and Robinson's role is disputed. Certainly Robinson. who never wrote Batman, would be at the least a co-creator, not a creator since he did not write the personality of the character,

anyway, RIP.

Pretty much only Stan left from that time now.

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Starlord wrote::cry: R.I.P

dude was only 89
no way he was around when your dick was created

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Spidey-Man wrote:Actually the Joker and Robin were co-creations at least been Finger, Kane and Robinson and Robinson's role is disputed. Certainly Robinson. who never wrote Batman, would be at the least a co-creator, not a creator since he did not write the personality of the character,

anyway, RIP.

Pretty much only Stan left from that time now.

a co-creator is still a creator.

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:46 pm

RIP Jerry.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:57 pm

Spidey-Man wrote:Pretty much only Stan left from that time now.

I'd hardly call Lee 'from that time'.

At least not when people like Will Eisner, Joe Simon, Joe Kubert, Robert Kanigher, Alex Toth, Sheldon Moldoff and Irv Novick (and others) are still out there.

Drcharles

crash test dummy

Postby Drcharles » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Very sad to hear the news,
He was a great artist, and Im really enjoying how great he was when Im reading these Batman Chronicles..........

Far too many of these legends are passimg on, its so sad.............

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Amoebas wrote:I'd hardly call Lee 'from that time'.

At least not when people like Will Eisner, Joe Simon, Joe Kubert, Robert Kanigher, Alex Toth, Sheldon Moldoff and Irv Novick (and others) are still out there.

Most of those guys are dead.

RIP Jerry Robinson.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:19 pm

chap22 wrote:a co-creator is still a creator.

meh

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Amoebas wrote:I'd hardly call Lee 'from that time'.

He started working in 1940 about six months after Robinson :lol:

I thought Eisner was dead. :oops:

Other than that, I'll give you Joe Simon. Kubert is younger than Stan :D

The rest of the names are more small potatoes and/or did not work on superheroes so i dont care :P

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:21 pm

alex toth is dead btw

leave a comment with facebook