Advertisement

The Backlash Begins: One Million Moms Crusading Against Gays in Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 356 posts

The Backlash Begins: One Million Moms Crusading Against Gays in Comics

Postby LOLtron » Thu May 24, 2012 4:57 pm

The Backlash Begins: One Million Moms Crusading Against Gays in ComicsOne Million Moms, a division of the American Family Association, is organizing a response to Marvel and DC's big gay announcements.

Warning: The following is an opinion piece. If you don't like opinions, I would suggest moving along.

This reporter is actually surprised it took this long for conservative political groups to throw a hissy fit over all the gayness in the comics industry this past week. So what exactly is One Million Moms? The organization describes itself like this:

Mom, are you fed up with the filth many segments of our society, especially the entertainment media, are throwing at our children? Are you tired of all the negative influences our children are forced to contend with? If so, we urge you to become a member of OneMillionMoms.com.

OneMillionMoms.com was begun to give moms an impact with the decision-makers and let them know we are upset with the messages they are sending our children and the values (or lack of them) they are pushing.

Our goal is to stop the exploitation of our children, especially by the entertainment media (TV, music, movies, etc.). Mom, OneMillionMoms.com is the most powerful tool you have to stand against the immorality, violence, vulgarity and profanity the entertainment media is throwing at your children. It is time to fight back!

Seems like a noble message, combatting immorality, violence and vulgarity in enterainment for children. So what's the problem? Oh yeah, it's that whenever someone starts campaigning about "morality," it always seems to turn into imposing one's own views on everyone else. And in this case, the morality in question is the belief that homosexuality is part of the "filth the entertainment industry is throwing at our children." This should be fun.

Here's what the moms have to say about gays in comics. My rebuttals are in red.

DC Comics AND Marvel Superheroes Come Out of the Closet

Part 1: DC Comics recently announced one of their most popular, but as of yet unnamed, prominent characters will soon be coming out of the closet. DC Comics, owned by Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, has decided that one of their beloved superheroes will be homosexual. Who will they choose; Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Plastic Man, or another one of their characters that children look up to?

Children read comics? News to this reporter. It's actually mostly fat, 30 year old men. And how the hell did Plastic Man end up on that list?

Last year, DC Comics Co-publisher Dan DiDio said that the company would not change the sexual orientation of an existing superhero and would bring in a new one altogether. Parents may have been able to avoid a new character since it would not be one many children have grown to admire. DiDio has changed his mind and will not be introducing a brand new character. They will feature an existing character who was previously assumed to be straight, will now become openly gay. Senior VP Sales Bob Wayne said DiDio's view 'had evolved', comparing the shift to Barack Obama's recent endorsement of same-sex marriage, according to a report. DiDio did not specify which character would 'come out' or in which issue it would be featured. It will likely be a June issue during LBGT month, joining lesbian character Batwoman.

Well DC, you should know not to use the word "evolve" around these people, that's just asking for trouble. Perhaps instead of seeking to avoid gay characters, parents should avoid being bigots? No, too much to ask.

Part 2: And to make matters more shocking, Marvel, now owned by Disney, followed DC Comics' announcement with a surprise of their own. Northstar, Marvel's first openly gay hero, is going to tie the knot with his boyfriend in the current issue of "Astonishing X-Men." This is the first same-sex wedding in a superhero comic book.

Marriage! What filth!

In "Astonishing X-Men" #50, which hit comic shop shelves Wednesday, Northstar proposes to his boyfriend, Kyle, a fellow snow sports enthusiast who possesses no superpowers. The couple will seal the deal in issue #51, slated for a June 20 release.

Snow sports has got to be code for some horrific gay sex act. The Moms will get to the bottom of this.

"The story of Northstar and Kyle is universal, and at the core of everything I write: a powerful love between two people who have to fight for it against all odds," said X-Men comic writer Marjorie Liu in a statement.

Bitch.

Children desire to be just like superheroes. Children mimic superhero actions and even dress up in costumes to resemble these characters as much as possible. Can you imagine little boys saying, "I want a boyfriend or husband like X-Men?"

Superhero actions that are okay to mimic, as not clearly prohibited by One Million Moms: casual heterosexual sex, beating your wife, alcoholism, murdering the entire population of a planet while under the influence of a cosmic bird entity, building self-replicating genocidal robots that want to conquer the world, dressing like a whore, solving all problems with fisticuffs, cheating on your significant other, cheating on your significant other through telepathy, stabbing your children to death with adamantium claws, and evading the police and government when they object to your undeniably illegal vigilante actions.

Superhero actions that are bad to mimic: being gay.

Just so we're clear on what the Moms are and are not okay with.

This is ridiculous! Why do adult gay men need comic superheroes as role models? They don't but do want to indoctrate impressionable young minds by placing these gay characters on pedestals in a positive light. These companies are heavily influencing our youth by using children's superheroes to desensitize and brainwash them in thinking that a gay lifestyle choice is normal and desirable. As Christians, we know that homosexuality is a sin (Romans 1:26-27).

Why do adult heterosexual men need comic superheroes as role models? Because we're losers. No argument there.

As Christians, we know that being a self-righteous jerk on the internet is a sin too. Paraphrased.

Indoctrate is not a word. A tip from one (grammar) nazi to another.

Unfortunately, children are now being exposed to homosexuality at an early age. Comic books would be one of the last places a parent would expect their child to be confronted with homosexual topics that are too complicated for them to understand. Children do not know what straight, homosexual, or coming out of the closet even means, but DC Comics and Marvel are using superheroes to confuse them on this topic to raise questions and awareness of an alternative lifestyle choice. These companies are prompting a premature discussion on sexual orientation.

Don't be taken by surprise. The Moms would hate for you to have to instill homophobia and bigotry into your children without having time to fully prepare first.

Northstar's wedding will be the first same-sex wedding in the world of mainstream superhero comics, but not the first gay comic books character. Earlier this year One Million Moms emailed Toys 'R' Us concerning the "Life With Archie" No. 16 with two gay characters getting hitched. Toys 'R' Us had the audacity to display "Archie- Just Married" at the front of the store by the checkout counters.

What nerve! That checkout counter space could have been used for more sugar-infused candy and soda, or dolls modeled after toddlers that are dressed up like prostitutes. How will middle America keep its children fat and promiscuous?!

TAKE ACTION

Please send DC Comics (Warner Bros. Entertainment Company) and Marvel (Disney) an email urging them to change and cancel all plans of homosexual superhero characters immediately. Ask them to do the right thing and reverse their decision to have sexual orientation displayed to readers.

Good plan, that will definitely work. The last thing Marvel and DC want is to find out they're getting a lot of attention over this.

Send Your Letter Now!

Interns are waiting to throw them in trash!

NOTE: If you see a commercial or program which is offensive, email us the information. Many of you have done this, and it is very helpful.

The Moms need you to inform on your neighbors if you catch them engaging in immoral behavior. What could go wrong?!

Well, there you have it. And for anyone wondering - this reporter actually leans conservative politically. I understand that you may not be comfortable with homosexuality. And that's okay. I also think that the publishers are really exploiting this cause more than championing it. But for fucks sake, stop trying to make everyone else follow your repressed moral code.

If you don't like something... don't [ read | listen to | watch | buy ] it. It's not your right or responsibility to stop others from doing so. You douchebags. Thank you for your time.

Source: One Million Moms
Written or Contributed by: Jude Terror

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/comics-news/19561-the-backlash-begins-one-million-moms-crusading-against-gays-in-comics.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Thu May 24, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Re: The Backlash Begins: One Million Moms Crusading Against

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu May 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Devil's Advocate. If they see comics as 'for children' they can be concerned about sexual content. Looking at all the news reports, it almost looks like comics are becoming gay fan fiction.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1142 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu May 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:Devil's Advocate. If they see comics as 'for children' they can be concerned about sexual content. Looking at all the news reports, it almost looks like comics are becoming gay fan fiction.

I would respond that the sexuality in comics has been rampant for decades with big-titted, near naked women, and men as well. On the other hand, I'm sure DC and Marvel were hoping for this sort of attention (in addition to the positive attention they've been receiving).
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu May 24, 2012 5:20 pm

At least since Wonder Woman and her bondage stories, maybe as far back as Batman and his houseboy. The attention works both ways though. See the Westboro Baptist Church for example.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Thu May 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:Devil's Advocate. If they see comics as 'for children' they can be concerned about sexual content. Looking at all the news reports, it almost looks like comics are becoming gay fan fiction.

I would have no problem with them advocating against advanced sexual material in comics, but that's not what they're advocating against.

So I call BULLLLLLSHIT. (To no one's surprise.)

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu May 24, 2012 5:28 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:
I would have no problem with them advocating against advanced sexual material in comics, but that's not what they're advocating against.

So I call BULLLLLLSHIT. (To no one's surprise.)

No, they just don't like us. Or at least the idea of us being 'promoted' to their kids. If they understood it didn't work that way they might not be so afraid. Like that crazy preacher that wants to prevent us from breeding so we die off... he doesn't understand that we come from straight people.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Thu May 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:
No, they just don't like us. Or at least the idea of us being 'promoted' to their kids. If they understood it didn't work that way they might not be so afraid. Like that crazy preacher that wants to prevent us from breeding so we die off... he doesn't understand that we come from straight people.

I always have a mixed reaction when I hear about people like that. Half of me finds the ridiculousness hilarious, the other half wants to build a rocket ship and leave this planet.

(But then again, I feel the same way about people who don't believe in evolution ...)

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu May 24, 2012 5:35 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:
I always have a mixed reaction when I hear about people like that. Half of me finds the ridiculousness hilarious, the other half wants to build a rocket ship and leave this planet.

(But then again, I feel the same way about people who don't believe in evolution ...)

Not everyone is exposed to openly gay people, so they may not know. At the same time, we are being exploited for profit and too much of that will cause resistance to us. And like that new guy said, it is kinda being shoved down peoples throats. If we want the IN YOUR FACE tactic, we have to deal with a considerable amount of backlash. No way around that.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Thu May 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:
Not everyone is exposed to openly gay people, so they may not know. At the same time, we are being exploited for profit and too much of that will cause resistance to us. And like that new guy said, it is kinda being shoved down peoples throats. If we want the IN YOUR FACE tactic, we have to deal with a considerable amount of backlash. No way around that.

Any forward traction is going to be met with resistance. Being a racial minority as well, I kind of made my peace with that awhile ago.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 711 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu May 24, 2012 5:55 pm

didn't they try to remove ellen from being a spokesperson for JC Pennys?, because she's not for "family values" because she's a lesbian.

and i'm pretty sure its been found that the "million moms" are about a thousand or so

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 996 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu May 24, 2012 7:05 pm

It's funny that they draw the line at gay marriage. Not murder, not wife beating, not rape or cannibalism... but gay marriage.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 711 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu May 24, 2012 7:14 pm

HNutz wrote:It's funny that they draw the line at gay marriage. Not murder, not wife beating, not rape or cannibalism... but gay marriage.

remember these are the same people who said that Ellen freaking Degeneres shouldn't be the spokesperson for JC Penny because she didn't have the right "morals"

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Thu May 24, 2012 7:55 pm

Northstar and Kyle are Marvel's first gay wedding, not the first in super hero comics. Midnighter and Apollo takes that nod.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Thu May 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Sitebreaker wrote:didn't they try to remove ellen from being a spokesperson for JC Pennys?, because she's not for "family values" because she's a lesbian.

and i'm pretty sure its been found that the "million moms" are about a thousand or so

Yep. They protested Kevin from Archie Comics too.

Anti-devil's advocate argument- would you not let a kid read the Reed/Sue, Lois/Clark, Peter/MJ, or Scott/Jean issues because of the sexual content? I'm not anticipating Lui dedicating several panels to the wedding night...

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand