Advertisement

Review Group: Muppet Show #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 320 posts

Review Group: Muppet Show #1

Postby LOLtron » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:08 am

1reviewgroup.gif

guitarsmashley had the pick for new comics shipping March 25th and he selected Muppet Show #1 by Roger Landrige. 

{nomultithumb}

The Review Group is a collection of posters who get together each week to discuss comics and post our reviews for a comic that we each take turns selecting.  Our threads can be found in The Outhouse’s Newstand forum and is open for anyone and everyone to participate in.

The Review Group has quite a history with all-ages titles.  Can Boom Studios' new Muppets title warm our cold black hearts? 

_______________muppetshow1.jpg

Review by 48THRiLLS

This was for kids? It seemed super wordy for a kid’s comic. I loved the first half, the second wasn't as strong. Loved the Muppets when I was a kid...even Muppet Babies haha. This was fun, I was laughing out loud to Fozzy's hat routine, the Swedish Chef, and Statler & Waldorf cracked me up as well. I still think Kermit is a bitch and Miss Piggy is way too much pig for him to handle. Coulda used some more Gonzo and maybe more than just an Animal sighting, I am sure they will show up more in the next issue but I don't think I will be... I got my Muppet fix. The art was solid, the opening spread was pretty fantastic but nothing that really knocked my socks off but I am not sure the source material could have been any better, I mean they are Muppets.

STORY - 7.5

ART 7.5

OVERALL 7.5

Review by thefourthman

So this book really caught the flavor of the show. The jokes were as I remembered them and I could almost here the exasperation in Kermit's voice when he threw his arms up in the air.

The only real miss is that the featured guests are kind of non-existent... this is explained very well in the book and makes sense. I understand that it would be a chore to get the licensing right, but there should still be like George Clooney or Marilyn Manson or someone to give it a little bit of variety, other wise it really is fine.

The art has a charming quality to it, even if a few of the designs (most noticeably Kermit and Gonzo) are a little off.

This is a book with all the right touches. It is nostalgic but not wallowing in the past and best of all it is a kid's title that doesn't talk down to them. Probably the greatest testament to this book was my daughter's hour-long festival last night of Muppet Shows on youtube. She wanted to see them and watched the John Cleese and Carol Burnett episodes. I have a strange child. Imagine that.

Story 8

Art 7

Overall 7.5

Review by Sire v 2.0

Yoni should still be shot for the pick. But it was a nice read it’s interesting with the whole show as a comic. Pretty entertaining.

It’s a children’s comic of the Muppets so its not like I can be too critical of it. The jokes were fun it was pretty clever comic. I hope it finds an audience with the young’uns, anything to get them into comics.

Overall - 6.5

Review by Daringd

I'm not going to waste even a second talking about this book but to say it was crap...I don't know what it was but I was left hanging.

3/10

Review by starlord

I really wanted to like this, but I was left feeling let down. The art was fantastic and some of it was cute, but I didn't feel it worked well as a comic. There's a lot of funny books out there that are just that, funny, but this one just didn't do it for me.

That being said, it did make me want The Muppet Show back on the air. And perhaps it's time for me to start collecting the old series. The two old men, however, did seem pretty funny.

Story: 5

Art: 8

My Score: 6.5

Review by McKegan

And I read the Muppet Show comic but I can't be assed to review it. Needed more 'Waka, waka", imo.

Story: 6

Art: 6

Over-All: 6.1

Review by guitarsmashley

I liked this issue but it didn't feel cohesive
like the show did and the song numbers do not translate at all so they
were a disappointment. I've already ordered the next few issues but I
don't think I'll order anymore after that. The art however was perfect.

New Score 9 after watching my favorite episode of the muppet show.

Review by amlah6

There's something to be said for low
expectations as I quite enjoyed this. It wasn't trying to be too clever
or anything, it just was what it was. It's probably been 10 years since
I've seen any of the Muppet movies and maybe 25 since I've watched an
episode of the Muppet Show but this made me super nostalgic. The art
was great and the tone of the book felt very true to the show.

Story: 8

Art: 8

Overall: 8

Review by young neil

This was a nicely written faced past comic
version of the Muppet show. I'm not sure if the transition from Tv to
comic was done well enough to keep me entertained, and it's very hard
to give everyone some panel space in a short comic, but we have another
3 issues I'm sure everyone will get a few jokes or at least lines. To
me this seemed more like a one-shot than a beginning to a mini, and I
think it was a tad bit wordy for a comic aimed at the younger audience.

I've always loved the Muppets and I think that's why I held this to
such a high standard, that being said I'm a sucker for the humor that
the Muppets are known for. This book was a good fun read.

Story - 5.75

Art - 6

Overall - 5.875

That gives Muppet Show #1 a group score of 6.66.  Looks like Kermit has outpaced Franklin Richards, but has fallen a bit short of the all-ages standard set by Tiny Titans.

For further discussion about this issue and our reviews, feel free to join us in this week's thread found in the Newstand forum where you are also invited to join the group by posting your own review.

_______________flashrebirth1.jpg

I have the pick for April 1st and since I'm such a swell guy I let the group decide what we'd be reading and the group overwhelmingly selected Flash: Rebirth #1 from DC Comics.  Look for the new thread after it becomes available Wednesday morning to join in on the fun.

Update: The thread for Flash: Rebirth can be found here.

Flash: Rebirth #1

Written by Geoff Johns

Art by Ethan Van Sciver

Through the decades, many heroes have taken the mantle of The Flash, but they all ride the lightning that crackles in the wake of the greatest hero the DC Universe has ever known, the man who sacrificed himself to save the Multiverse: Barry Allen!

Following the events of FINAL CRISIS, Barry has beaten death and returned to a fast-paced world that a man out of time wouldn't recognize. Or is it a world that is only just now catching up? All the running he's done before was just a warm-up for the high-speed race that he and every other Flash must now run, because even though one speedster might have beaten death, another has just turned up dead! From Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver, the visionaries responsible for the blockbuster GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH and THE SINESTRO CORPS WAR, comes the start of an explosive and jaw-dropping epic that will reintroduce to the modern age the hero who single-handedly birthed the Silver Age of comics! DC history will be made, and the Flash legacy will be redefined!

DC Universe | 40pg. | Color | $3.99 US

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand