Advertisement

Why I love Comics #96 Q and A with Scott Lobdell!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 163 posts

Why I love Comics #96 Q and A with Scott Lobdell!

Postby LOLtron » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:06 pm

On this episode of the podcast, Scott Lobdell offered to come back on and answer fan questions from theouthousers.

On this episode of the podcast, Scott Lobdell offered to come back on and answer fan questions from theouthousers.com! We cover a lot of ground from editorial input to the Storm/Forge romance and even a Superman exclusive!

Scott's Twitter!

Follow me on twitter!

Like the fanpage on facebook!

Subscribe to the show via itunes!

Subscribe to my youtube page!

Go check out Kirby Krackle!

Check out my awesome webcomic, New Comic Day!

Duration: 3521 seconds
Size: 53.72 Mb

Originally Published at Why I Love Comics http://lovecomics.libsyn.com/why-i-love-comics-96-q-and-a-with-scott-lobdell

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 126 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: Why I love Comics #96 Q and A with Scott Lobdell!

Postby Zechs » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:35 am

You read forums Lobdell? POST! We're right here! Drop Superman! It's Superman! Riddler is the way to a fan's heart!

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:51 am

Zechs wrote:You read forums Lobdell? POST! We're right here! Drop Superman! It's Superman! Riddler is the way to a fan's heart!

:lol:

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 126 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:09 am

doombug wrote: :lol:

COME AT US LOBDELL!! Herald doesn't bite. He just throws tropes at you! You can take it. Come on Lobdell! You created Bastion. Souless fanboys are just like Sentinels. One good smack shuts them up. Save me, I'm the "Nimrod" model.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:37 am

Didn't quite seem to get my question, but he still managed to answer it sorta.

What I meant was creators like him having the stigma of the reputation of that time as it seems like the styles he and a few others are going for is a throwback 90's one. Didn't mean to imply the extreme period alone killed the 90's as it was pretty obvious that Marvel made a lot of boneheaded decisions (like cutting out Diamond which Lobdell pointed out).

3MJ

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:39 am

Looking forward to this. Like he says though the people who ask harsh questions "says more about than those people than it does about me"

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:33 am

"Infinitely much more freedom right now than there ever has been in comics"

Very interesting. Good interview.

I like his perspective on people working at Marvel/DC and also other publishers. I never really thought of that before. I do like how he linked freedom with outside the big 2 though, and I am interested in seeing where he will go from here, especially as he hinted that he would go outside DC maybe.

Thankyou Scott.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:48 am

Just finished it, he handled the "mean" questions a lot better than I expected, last thing we need is another creator targeting our mothers.

Good listen, his answers to twigg's question in particular was interesting.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:10 am

double post
Last edited by Amoebas on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:10 am

"Amoedipuds"?

"Arephius"

It's Amoebas. As in...

You just made the list Lobdob. I mean Obdlooll or Loldlop (or whatever it is) :-D

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 206 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:34 am

Interesting how he claims the '90s were so great purely because of their high sales when said sales were artificially inflated due to speculators. Never mind that, when the speculators realized that their Jim Lee X-Men #1 wasn't going to be worth as much as the first appearance of Batman no matter how long they held on to it, they scattered, leaving the industry holding the bag.

And it's STILL trying to recover from that sudden mass exodus. But, as the DCnU and its mass-marketed "52 #1 issues!! Now you CAN own Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #1!! :shock:" demonstrate, some people STILL haven't learned the lessons that the speculator boom of the '90s imparted. And clearly, one of those people is Scott Lobdell, who later justifies what he's currently doing with the Teen Titans with the same "It sells!" argument, without examining WHY it does. It ain't because revamping Wonder Girl as a thief who is totally unconnected to Wonder Woman was actually a clever idea, you know. :roll:

Scott babbling about the sales of all those '90s comics is like saying, "Hooray for the housing bubble of the early 2000s!!", when we see where THAT led and continues to lead for the U.S. and world economies. But it's no surprise at all that this guy believes in Quality By Popular Vote, even when he SHOULD know as well as anyone that the vote in question was horribly manipulated. It just goes to show that just because "I was involved with this! I was THERE at the time!!" doesn't mean you actually learned anything.

News Flash, Scotty: Many people weren't buying '90s comics like yours because they enjoyed reading 'em, or that they were all of such great quality. They were buying 'em and storing 'em away in hopes of putting 3-year-old Jimmy through college in 15 years, once the value of the books ballooned, like that first appearance of Superman comic they heard about on TV. And when they discovered that this wasn't going to happen, they VANISHED. That's largely why there's so much fewer comic buyers now, even with Dan and the Gang's overhyped DCnU.

Welcome to the program, Mr. Lobdell.

And his ignorance is further demonstrated with Starfire. The problem people have with his handling of the character is not just that she "had sex", but that she fully intended to have sex with anything with a penis and a pulse. That is NOT Starfire, as anyone with any real understanding of the character would tell you.

"It's not what the story's about, but how it's about what it's about."
- Roger Ebert

And sure, Starfire isn't "outselling the X-Men every month", but he foolishly ignores the fact that that's in part because she's never been given a book of her own to demonstrate how well she would do in the first place.

There's a quote, ostensibly referring to baseball, that says "If you don't pitch it, they can't hit it." Of course a book that doesn't exist can't outsell anything; no one can buy it for it to ever become popular! The bottom line is that no one knows how well Starfire would do, because she's never been given a chance to do so. There's no precedence to make that determination.

Oh, and if she ever does get that chance, it certainly won't sell well if they put a writer who lacks any sense of the character on the book. Scott Lobdell is at the top of that writer list, and his mishandling of the character in Red Hood is a prime precedence for that determination.

Also, he justifies the changes to the Teen Titans with such statements as, "The core of Batman has been changed so many times, and yet, the core of Batman remains." But the problem is that with his changes to the Titans characters, the core of the characters DOESN'T remain. That's the problem people have with his approach.

This guy's a standard-issue DiDio Dittohead, lack of knowledge and all.
"DO tell Scotty, 'cause Scotty doesn't know!!"

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 206 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:50 am

Zechs wrote:COME AT US LOBDELL!! Herald doesn't bite.

Don't make claims that you can't ensure. :twisted:

He just throws tropes at you!

Oh, I got FAR more than tropes... :twisted:

You can take it.

I put Jamal Igle on the run.
I got Dan resorting to striking back through his poorly-written comics.
Even Geoff once whined at me that I wasn't very nice.

Scotty doesn't stand a chance.

That said, by all means, LET HIM COME.
"Bring on the bad guys!!" :twisted:

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:17 pm

Herald wrote:Interesting how he claims the '90s were so great purely because of their high sales when said sales were artificially inflated due to speculators. Never mind that, when the speculators realized that their Jim Lee X-Men #1 wasn't going to be worth as much as the first appearance of Batman no matter how long they held on to it, they scattered, leaving the industry holding the bag.

And it's STILL trying to recover from that sudden mass exodus. But, as the DCnU and its mass-marketed "52 #1 issues!! Now you CAN own Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #1!! :shock:" demonstrate, some people STILL haven't learned the lessons that the speculator boom of the '90s imparted. And clearly, one of those people is Scott Lobdell, who later justifies what he's currently doing with the Teen Titans with the same "It sells!" argument, without examining WHY it does. It ain't because revamping Wonder Girl as a thief who is totally unconnected to Wonder Woman was actually a clever idea, you know. :roll:

Scott babbling about the sales of all those '90s comics is like saying, "Hooray for the housing bubble of the early 2000s!!", when we see where THAT led and continues to lead for the U.S. and world economies.

All of this is true. I was there. So were many others who also know this is true.

This is why Herald adds value to this forum, no matter what his detractors say. That post was the TRUTH about what the 90s were. What those creators and speculators did to this industry...

Yeah, OK. Congratulations, Scott Lobdell. You sold a ton of books. Now, by all means, look back at, oh, God...I don't know. Let's try your "Gene Nation" two-parter in Uncanny X-Men, from back in the day, 1995 I believe it was.

It's laughable how awful it was. Laughable.

Now, someone can defend the quality of that story if they want. I'd love to see them try, but somehow, I don't think anybody's going to be doing that.

Why? Because it's AWFUL. And it was right in line with everything else that was being published at that time.

Again, it sold. Good for you, Scott Lobdell. Congratulations for wasting the opportunity to actually create something worth reading that sold well at the same time.

Nice work, indeed.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:40 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Just finished it, he handled the "mean" questions a lot better than I expected, last thing we need is another creator targeting our mothers.

Good listen, his answers to twigg's question in particular was interesting.

I agree completely. Hope you check out some of the previous interviews if you weren't already planning to. 8)

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Herald doesn't speak the truth.

He's a babbling idiot who can't see out of his own limited world view.

he's sad. Comic creators hate him. I wish he'd grow up.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand