Advertisement

Kelly Sue DeConnick Embarks on Winter's Tale!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Help Marvel writer Kelly Sue DeConnick and her young friend Winter create their Ninja Princess Zombie Rockstar mini-comic!

Source: Kelly Sue DeConnick

In an instance of the impact exuberant young fans can have on comic book professionals, Captain Marvel writer Kelly Sue DeConnick put up a blog post about her encounter with a girl named Winter at this year's HeroesCon.  The post ends up detailing how this meeting has lead to DeConnick's next comics project: 

She was dressed as Fiona from ADVENTURE TIME and she had her father in tow.  She leaned in over our table and announced in a voice awfully big for such a small child, “I LIKE TO DRAW NINJAS!”

Well. What would you do?  I asked her name.  ”Winter,” her father volunteered.

Sometimes, the universe is not subtle.

Next, Winter declared that she and I should make a book together. That I would write and she would draw and it would be about NINJAS. And also zombies. And cheerleaders.

Now… I am a very busy lady right now.  I have 3 monthly ongoings, am still wrapping up a graphic novel, I’ve got a creator-owned book slated to start soon, plus a family and oh, we just moved and at some point, I have to get my clothes out of boxes.

But… come on.

“Yes!” I told Winter. “This is a thing we must do.”

And so it came to be that what is currently known as Winter's Tale entered the world.  

After a bit of discussion with young Winter's father, some parameters were set for the comic.  Winter sent a list of the things she most wants to draw in the story to DeConnick, and now the writer is going interactive with it, getting YOU involved in the creative process:

Over the next 10 months as we lead up to Heroes Con, I will occasionally tweet a panel description with the hashtag #winterstale.  I will endeavor to work in Winter’s 10 favorite things to draw, and thus, 1 panel at a time, we will put together our Ninja Princess Zombie Rockstar mini-comic, which we will then run off punkzine style and sell at Heroes, with all proceeds going to Winter’s college fund.

If you or your children (Ages 1-100) would also like to draw our Winter’s Tale, all you need is a Twitter account. Respond to any #winterstale panel description with a twitpic or a link to your drawing and we’ll repost them to WintersTales.tumblr.com.

So there you have it.  YOU can help Kelly Sue DeConnick (a real, honest to goodness Marvel writer) and an up-and-coming young artist put together their crazy/cool sounding Ninja Princess Zombie Rockstar mini-comic!

For more info on the comic (including what you can do if you don't have a Twitter account), and if you just want to read the sweetest, most adorable comics-related story of the day, check out Kelly Sue DeConnick's blog post about Winter's Tale!

Written or Contributed by Royal Nonesuch

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Mr. Log
phrase IV

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: I'm starvin'!
Formerly: Log-Man

Re: Kelly Sue DeConnick Embarks on Winter's Tale!

Postby Mr. Log » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Very cool.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand