Advertisement

Breaking Bad Season 5: "Say My Name"

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts

Breaking Bad Season 5: "Say My Name"

Postby LOLtron » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:42 am

Breaking Bad Season 5:

Remember when we thought Walter White was getting in over his head by getting involved with Gus Fring and Mike the Cleaner? Yeah, never mind. (SPOILERS AHEAD)

"You, and your pride, and your ego...You just had to be the man, didn't you?  If you'd just done your job, known your place, we'd all be fine!"

Farewell to a legend.  Mike Ehrmentraut, affectionately known around these and other parts as Mike the Cleaner, is no more.  You can't help but wonder, as Mike sat with a bullet in his gut on a scenic riverbank, if he was recounting in his mind exactly how he got to that place?  He seems to know exactly how it happened.  The look of resignation on his face just before he hit the ground seems to make that clear.  In fact, just before his fatal shooting, he lays all out for Walter, calling him out on the effect his pride has.  That's pretty much exactly the premise of the show, but hearing it come out of Mike's mouth was still a great moment in "What's My Name."  More than that, it served as the climax to the episode, one which traveled in a straight line from Point A to Point B.  

Point A, of course, being that confrontation that opened the episode, in which Walt decides to lay out his plan to get his group paid.  He faces down Declan and his thugs, and recruits them as "distribution," asserting the superiority of his product over theirs ("You're grade-school Tee Ball, and I'm the New York Yankees!").  Declan refuses at first, but Walt doesn't give up.  He pushes the issue until Declan comes to the realization that Walt is really Heisenberg.  "You're goddamn right," snarls Walt.  So Mike gets his $5 million, which is what he wants, and he's out of the business, which is what Walt wants.  Walt seems to be having trouble letting go of Jesse, though.  He just wants his little protége standing next to him and looking up to him.  When Walt spots Mike and Jesse shaking hands and going their separate ways, he seems to feel a pang of jealousy.  It creeps up again later in the episode when Mike is asking for Saul's help, but Jesse jumps at the chance to lend a hand (not long after insisting that Mike would never inform on them to the DEA).  Is this what Walt was thinking when he decided to take Mike's gun and shoot him with it?  Sure, Walt talks a lot about the lack of expressed gratitude he gets from Mike (a sarcastic and angry "You're welcome" really sets Mike off) but that seems to be window dressing for Walt's desire to keep Jesse for himself.  

No dice, from Jesse's end, though.  He repeatedly asserts that he wants out, and Walt continues to give him the gentle brush off.  When Jesse gets more forceful about the issue (after catching a glimpse of what Skyler is going through by being tied to Walt, and not wanting that for himself), Walt at first tries to appeal to his sense of accomplishment.  He tells Jesse that "you're every bit as good as I am" and even talks about squandering talent, sounding like the father of a teenage tennis prodigy.  When that doesn't work, he goes on the offensive and challenges Jesse, asking him what he's going to do with his $5 million, distilling his life to nothing more than "video games and go-karts."  Typical Walt.  First he massages, then he hits below the belt.  It's the same tactic he used with Skyler in "Fifty-One."  It doesn't work here, though, as Jesse just forgoes the money and chooses to leave, leaving Walt alone and shouting.  It really is wonderful to see Walt and Jesse have their confrontations again.  Since Jesse decided to follow Walt unquestioningly earlier this season, those two haven't really had a ton of interaction, just bits here and there.  Walt still had all that great material with Mike and Skyler and Hank, but the Walt/Jesse stuff is where the heart of this show lies, and seeing them argue again these last two episodes really takes us back to when we first fell in love with this show, back when these two couldn't not bicker and butt heads.  In any case, Walt doesn't have a partner, so he decides to recruit child-murdering, spider-stealin' Todd as his new cooking buddy.  In another lavishly filmed and edited cooking montage, Walt takes Todd through the steps of making crystal meth, with nary a word from Todd (who even studies his notes during his break).  Teaching eager young Todd, who just wants to please and doesn't even want to talk money until he gets the hang of cooking meth, is a far cry from working with loud mouthed, obnoxious Jesse back in the old days.  The contrast is not lost on Walt.  

There is a lot of screen time spent on the distribution of the "legacy costs" to Mike's famous "Nine Guys."  The lawyer for the Nine Guys distributes equal payments into safety deposit boxes, which are then picked up by their families.  Hank, after getting chewed out by his boss for focusing too much on Mike and not enough on being the boss of the Albuquerque office, figures that following the lawyer might reveal something usable.  Sure enough, Dan the Lawyer looks is caught filling up deposit boxes by Gomez and his hilarious shit-eating grin.  Before long, he's willing to "flip" on Mike, a fact picked up by Walt who is in Hank's office to once again pretend to cry on his brother-in-law's shoulder about his failing marriage (he's really there to remove the bugs so they're not found in a sweep).  Walt is able to warn Mike, who gets away from the approaching cops using his ninja powers, and then calls Saul to tell him to get him the duffel bag he has stashed that's full of money, passports, and everything he needs to skip town.  Saul figures he's being watched too, so Walt decides to bring him the bag.  Before giving Mike the bag, Walt demands that Mike tell him the names of the Nine Guys, but it just leads to the confrontation where Mike lets Walt have it.  Seeing Jonathan Banks finally explode like this was eye-opening and incredible.  He reads Walt the riot act, and Walt is so angered that he pulls out a gun and shoots him.  It looks as though Mike was going to get away again, but as it turns out, he knows when he's beat, so he ends up just taking a seat on the riverbank waiting for death.  The futility hits Walt pretty late.  "I just realized Lydia has the names.  I could have just gotten them from her."  Mike's last words, in response: "Shut the ____ up so I can die in peace (marking the return of the blanked out F-word, which can be found in early episodes of this series, and has shown up once or twice in Mad Men)." 

So we say goodbye to everyone's favorite lovable badass mob enforcer, Mike.  His presence was as welcome as it was endlessly rational and professional.  While we're at it, let's say goodbye to Jonathan Banks, who played Mike with such resilience and quiet intensity.  It's an absolute shame that he won't be seen again, but what a great character he brought to life, and what wonderful work he did.  

Written or Contributed by Royal Nonesuch

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 244 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Breaking Bad Season 5: "Say My Name"

Postby Amoebas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:12 am

A great episode made greater by the inclusion of my favorite Monkees song ("Going Down") during the cook scene (and had some symmetry with the final scene with Mike at the river).

It was a bit predictable what was going to happen however from the moment Walt first opened the bag.

Here's hoping the DEA only nabbed the 9 safety deposit boxes they were looking for (and left Kaylee's alone).

As for Mike.... "See ya round." "I don't think so".

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:17 am

Did anyone else find the shot of Skyler retreating down a dark hallway feeling like it was foreshadowing something?

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm wondering if Mike is really dead though.

At the beginning of this season we saw Walt in a diner celebrating his 52nd birthday on the run where he buys a M60 machine gun, which is some pretty serious firepower. Why would he need something that big unless he is scared shitless. I think Mike is about the only one that could put that much fear into Walt. We haven't seen the last of him, I don't think.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:13 pm

MistaT wrote:I'm wondering if Mike is really dead though.

At the beginning of this season we saw Walt in a diner celebrating his 52nd birthday on the run where he buys a M60 machine gun, which is some pretty serious firepower. Why would he need something that big unless he is scared shitless. I think Mike is about the only one that could put that much fear into Walt. We haven't seen the last of him, I don't think.

Uh, no, I think there's a lot of people who could scare Walt. The new drug cartel he's working with, for one. Jesse, for two, when he catches wind of any of a number of things Walt did. And If you think Todd is the mild-mannered "gosh geewillikers, so this is how you make methamphetamine!" stooge he's playing right now...

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:20 pm

McDarkseid wrote:
Uh, no, I think there's a lot of people who could scare Walt. The new drug cartel he's working with, for one. Jesse, for two, when he catches wind of any of a number of things Walt did. And If you think Todd is the mild-mannered "gosh geewillikers, so this is how you make methamphetamine!" stooge he's playing right now...

Way to wreck my hopes and dreams ASSHOLE!! :smt013 :P

I don't know about the new cartel guys. Time will tell I suppose. Todd is a stooge. A cold hearted bastard of a stooge, but I don't see him going very far, nor is he intimidating enough to make Walt run. Walt would never run from Jesse either, I don't think.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:22 pm

MistaT wrote:
Way to wreck my hopes and dreams ASSHOLE!! :smt013 :P

I don't know about the new cartel guys. Time will tell I suppose. Todd is a stooge. A cold hearted bastard of a stooge, but I don't see him going very far, nor is he intimidating enough to make Walt run. Walt would never run from Jesse either, I don't think.

Hmm, you're not very foresightful.

And you have no idea who Todd is at this point.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:35 pm

MistaT wrote:I'm wondering if Mike is really dead though.

He is. Watch the very last two seconds of this episode again. Look at the bottom right where Walt & Mike are (partially obscured by the brush). It's subtle, but you can tell the moment Mike actually dies.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:39 pm

So - does Walt tell the brain trust that he gave the bag to Mike (and keeps the money for himself (or a Jesse pay-off)) OR does he fess up to killing Mike?

Yeah - I know. Silly question.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:37 am

Of course its all up in the air, but I can't imagine Todd becoming a significant player in the remaining 9 episodes.

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Dan should have called Saul.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 176 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:19 pm

It was a great ep
very weird, and awesome, to hear a lesser known Monkees song - WIFe got annoyed cause I was singing along
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Since the beginning of the series, it's been pretty obvious that things wouldn't end well for Walt. And I've been waiting for the one major fuck-up to happen that would destroy everything he's worked for.

I'm going to say that everything will be downhill for Walt after killing Mike. How is Walt going to cover this up? He's going to need a lot of barrels to destroy the car and body of a man who is supposedly being watched heavily by the DEA.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:44 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:Since the beginning of the series, it's been pretty obvious that things wouldn't end well for Walt. And I've been waiting for the one major fuck-up to happen that would destroy everything he's worked for.

I'm going to say that everything will be downhill for Walt after killing Mike. How is Walt going to cover this up? He's going to need a lot of barrels to destroy the car and body of a man who is supposedly being watched heavily by the DEA.

That's the thing though - Mike rep is all the DEA will care about. They already think the Cartel got Fring. With Mike's options limited to zero, they should just assume it was the Cartel that got him as well (before he could talk).

That is, if Walt leaves the crime scene clean.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:47 pm

GHERU wrote:It was a great ep
very weird, and awesome, to hear a lesser known Monkees song - WIFe got annoyed cause I was singing along
:shock: And here I thought I was only one who even knew the words, let alone sang along with it with a wife asking me to shut up (which I did at the point where they edited out Dolenz's skat). :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum